DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   NHL 95 or 94 - How to make Gretzky's head bleed? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/410431-nhl-95-94-how-make-gretzkys-head-bleed.html)

DVDTalker001 02-18-05 06:29 PM

NHL 95 or 94 - How to make Gretzky's head bleed?

Hi All,

I've done some google searches on "nhl gretsky head bleed swingers" and found some articles that it is true that you can actually get his head to bleed.

Question is - how do you do it? I can't seem to find instructions or directions anywhere... maybe someone in this video game forum could help out.

I'm having a vegas pre-party right before we head down and we're not only going to watch swingers but play some NHL 94 (or 95?)

Does anyone know? We have it for the SNES. (I know they were using the genesis in the movie, however)

TaTTooD 02-18-05 07:25 PM

there was nothing special you really had to do...just hit the guy hard enough. basically you took a huge run at the guy and hit the check button (whatever it was) and once in awhile it would be enough to make em bleed and knock em out of the game. basically enough that would warrant a charging call :)

flashburn 02-18-05 08:31 PM

Yeah, it doesn't specifically need to be Gretzky (probably why you couldn't find any information).

I remember being able to do it in the Genesis version, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can't do it with the SNES one. Remember, blood = bad!

Nazgul 02-18-05 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TaTTooD
there was nothing special you really had to do...just hit the guy hard enough. basically you took a huge run at the guy and hit the check button (whatever it was) and once in awhile it would be enough to make em bleed and knock em out of the game.

Ah, but do you remember the trick to get the player back into the game?

TaTTooD 02-18-05 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nazgul
Ah, but do you remember the trick to get the player back into the game?

i dont even remember there being one....what was it?

spainlinx0 02-19-05 01:16 AM

I thought the blood was only in 93? Wasn't it taking out for subsequent years?

Third Baseman 02-19-05 08:48 AM

rotfl wtf

DJLinus 02-19-05 09:26 AM

Can't help you, but I did find this pic:

http://www.the-ocean.com/swingers/im...ad%20bleed.jpg

Man, I loved that game.

JM 02-19-05 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I thought the blood was only in 93? Wasn't it taking out for subsequent years?

The guys in Swingers were playing NHLPA 93, which as spainlinx0 notes above is the only version in which you can make someone bleed by hitting them. 94 and later don't have this, sorry.

Tarantino 02-19-05 07:41 PM

NHL 95 for Sega had blood.

JM 02-19-05 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
NHL 95 for Sega had blood.

Yeah, but you can only "make their head bleed" with big hits (as seen in Swingers, a pool of blood forms around the guy's head on the ice) in NHLPA 93. Also, NHL 95 didn't have fighting.

DVDTalker001 02-19-05 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by JM
The guys in Swingers were playing NHLPA 93, which as spainlinx0 notes above is the only version in which you can make someone bleed by hitting them. 94 and later don't have this, sorry.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if you can make their head bleed in NHLPA 93 for SNES as well?

Trinitron 02-20-05 08:44 PM

If I recall correctly, they took it out of the SNES version because of Nintendo's "family" image. But I am remembering way, way, back here -

spainlinx0 02-21-05 01:14 AM

Yeah I think the guy used to have a nice seizure on the ground same as the Genesis version, but no blood.

I still find it weird that the 2 games played some differently. On Genesis the guaranteed goal was where you juked the goalie. On the SNES the guaranteed goal was the wraparound.

Fanboy 02-21-05 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
On the SNES the guaranteed goal was the wraparound.

Only for suckers who played without goalie control. The single aspect that raised the SNES version above the Genny, IMO.

However, being able to select either right- or left-defense using the shoulder buttons was completely gear as well. Almost as useful as hitting X to grab that goalie/tank and plow under the puck carrier, preventing a goal and grabbing an interference call at the same time.

jw2299 02-21-05 09:09 PM

NHL '94 was and still is one of the best hockey games ever.

EDIT: I'm referring to the Genesis version of course.

DVDTalker001 02-22-05 09:32 AM

Thanks for the info guys - I'm going to do the wraparound against my friends when we play NHL95 for NES :)