DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox thru vcr (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/410135-xbox-thru-vcr.html)

ElementZ 02-16-05 08:47 PM

Xbox thru vcr

Is this possible to hook up your xbox through your vcr if your your tv has no a/v inputs. I am just wondering since hooking up a dvd player thru a vcr wont work due to macrovision, but how about just playing the video games itself

cheapskate 02-16-05 08:53 PM

Short answer? NO

You will run into the same Macrovision problem...

Copy protection technology (sometimes referred to as "Macrovision™") is integrated into most DVD players on the market. The Xbox™ video game system also has this technology. Copy protection is designed to prevent the commercial replication of DVD movies. If the Xbox video game system is connected to the TV through a VCR, any correctly encoded DVD will trigger the copy protection.

Copy Protection Issues
When you play a DVD movie on a DVD player (including the Xbox video game system), you may experience the following symptoms because of the copy protection technology:
The video may be fuzzy, blurry, or distorted.
The sound may be distorted.
Game play may behave correctly.

To resolve copy protection issues, connect your DVD player directly to your TV (not through your VCR). Macrovision's copy protection technologies are designed to prevent the unauthorized recording of videocassettes, digital Pay-Per-View (PPV) programs, and Digital Video Discs (DVD) on a VCR.

For more information about how to connect your DVD player (or your Xbox video game system) directly to your TV, see the manuals for your Xbox video game system and TV.

For more information about Macrovision's copy protection technology, visit the Macrovision™ Web site:
Pick up an RF Modulator from Radio Shack... I've had to do that in the past on an older RCA TV that only had COAX cable input on it... kinda shitty, but it's your best bet.

ElementZ 02-16-05 09:33 PM

That sucks. I have no problem with my setup but my friend has 2 tvs and i wanted to bring my xbox over to play halo 2 with a link cable. I hate playing on the same tv so you can see where the other player is at

sdcrym 02-16-05 09:41 PM

Actually, yes you can play games with your XBOX connected to a VCR, which is what I think ElementZ meant. Cheapskate's probably right as far as watching a DVD on the XBOX through the VCR, but that doesn't apply to the games.

ElementZ 02-16-05 10:01 PM

Guess I wont be so lazy and just try it when i get home

MrKen 02-17-05 01:41 AM

You can get an RF adapter for the XBOX for less than 10 bucks at Gamestop or EB Games.

For game playing though, you don't need one. The macrovision only becomes a problem for movies.

Kuma-kun 02-17-05 04:54 AM

Strange, because I don't seem to have much problem doing either. My XBOX is connected through my vcr to an old tv. Gaming is fine, like everyone else says, but so is playing a DVD for the most part. I've only noticed the picture going through cycles of getting slightly brighter, then slightly darker, but nothing significant. I did expect some sort of macrovision distortion. Maybe I'm just lucky.

wlj 02-17-05 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ElementZ
That sucks. I have no problem with my setup but my friend has 2 tvs and i wanted to bring my xbox over to play halo 2 with a link cable. I hate playing on the same tv so you can see where the other player is at

This is why you need to construct "The Offline Cardboard Screen Splitter". ;)

wlj

cheapskate 02-17-05 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by wlj
This is why you need to construct "The Offline Cardboard Screen Splitter". ;)

wlj

:lol:

... and yes, it will most likely only affect your DVD playback - I just wasn't sure if games were Macrovision protected as well. Thanks for clearing it up!