Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

are there any pictures of the PSP playing a movie?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-11-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering what a movie would look like on the psp.
Old 02-11-05, 11:53 AM

Borrowed from psinext.com

They're all anime, but hope that helps.
Old 02-11-05, 01:50 PM
Cool New Member

Oooh, nice. Two of my favorite animes are shown. The top one is Bleach and the third one is Naruto. Funny that they're not in OAR I wonder if the PSP always fits things to the screen. Either way, it looks really nice and not too stretched out.
Old 02-11-05, 03:07 PM

Received 337 Likes on 215 Posts
So the PSP only plays anime?!

That sucks.

Old 02-11-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

That sucks.

Total agreement.
Old 02-11-05, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

That sucks.

Apparently that seems to be the case for the PSP owners that took those pictures

But yeah, I was also disappointed in not finding any non anime pics.
Old 02-12-05, 12:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The PSP doesn't stretch everything to fill the screen. You can cycle through 4 display settings, 2 of which will fill the display.
Old 02-12-05, 08:05 AM

Speaking of PSP movies, this was announced yesterday (from Gamespot.com):

XXX, Hellboy, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico will be released on UMD on April 19.

Sony expanded Friday on its bid to establish the new PlayStation Portable as a multimedia device by announcing plans to release more movies formatted to play on the handheld game machine.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment said action films XXX, Hellboy, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico will be available for the PSP in mid-April, a few weeks after the device launches in North America. Additional movie releases on the new Universal Media Disc (UMD) optical media format used by the PSP will be made monthly thereafter, according to the announcement.

Sony revealed plans for the PSP last year, positioning it as potential breakthrough machine that would do for digital media what the Walkman did for analog music. Besides the new UMD media format, the device includes built-in wireless networking and 3D graphics capabilities.

While Sony is primarily marketing the device as a game machine, the company has also been gradually emphasizing its capabilities as a music and video device. The company announced last week that the PSP would go on sale in North America on March 24 as part of a package that includes a UMD copy of the hit movie Spider-Man 2.

Sony electronics and entertainment divisions are notorious for not working well together. But Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony Corporation of America, has vowed to change that with products such as the PSP. "We're working together in real harmony now," he said in a recent interview with CNET News.com. "We understand each other's problems, and we have a better chance of solving some of these issues."

By David Becker -- News.com
Old 02-13-05, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

movies good idea but will they take?

I think the psp playing movies is a cool idea, but when you look at Sony’s track record with inventive devices, it doesn't fair too well in the US. and with other device already out playing video, I think the main market for the psp will be games, but even that could be a short life if Microsoft decides to get into the portable area, I mean ms already has the portable windows add say portable Xbox titles and support for video you've got a Sony killer hands down.

But the psp is still a cool device.
Old 02-14-05, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think my decision to get a psp may depent alot on wheter they will sell the umd media in a rewritable format. having to swich out memory sticks would be a PITA. I wouldnt mind spending 4-5 bucks a disk and buying a mini drive to write to them.
Old 02-14-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
I think the psp playing movies is a cool idea, but when you look at Sony’s track record with inventive devices, it doesn't fair too well in the US.
Sony has struggled in the past with their recent gadgets, but the PS2 quality gaming will help this device succeed. Not only will the PSP be successful it may be the new hip ipod like device (hype wise not a replacement) by Christmas. Even with limited quanitites the PSP has been the top selling handheld in Japan for four straight weeks. A defeat that has never happened to Nintendo before. The US release will probably be more of the same.

Third parties are all over the PSP and along with the movie and MP3 ability it looks to be the next big thing. I can definitely see these flying off the shelves in the US when released. Not just at launch like the DS either. I mean steady sales all the way through the Christmas holiday.
Old 02-14-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a step by step guide to putting video on your PSP:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000980024404/

Seems a little arduous right now, but should get easier when the, uh, enthusiast underground develop some software.
Old 02-14-05, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by uli2000
I think my decision to get a psp may depent alot on wheter they will sell the umd media in a rewritable format. having to swich out memory sticks would be a PITA. I wouldnt mind spending 4-5 bucks a disk and buying a mini drive to write to them.
If the psp is using the stick instead of the umd, it would probably use less battery power and hold more. The cost of a drive and the discs would probably be way too much to make it practical (plus it would make pirated games that much easier).
Old 02-14-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Memory Stick is indeed more practical then buying UMD movies....Save on battery life, saves you money in the long run, and you can store movies and music on it.
Old 02-14-05, 02:44 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by darkside
Sony has struggled in the past with their recent gadgets, but the PS2 quality gaming will help this device succeed. .
Exactly, it's a gaming machine first. All the extra stuff is just icing on the cake to entice people on the fence to buy one.

I can't imagine many people will buy it to use as a media device, with games as a secondary function. I'd think those people would be more likely to invest in a stand alone portable media center, which I imagine are better quality (I'm not a fan of convergence, do it all devices. Usually sacrifice quality for cheaper price and convenience).
Old 02-17-05, 10:00 AM

Found a few more pics, some with movie shots others with tv shows:

Old 02-17-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for those pics! THis is going to be one amazing machine!
Old 02-17-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow the screen is incredible!
Old 02-17-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woah.
Old 02-17-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's going to be the mobile TV also.If only it had a HDD then it would be a challange to Ipod
Old 02-18-05, 01:20 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I didn't have a laptop, then I'd definately get one of these. I'll probably wait a couple of years when prices go down. But damm it looks nice.
Old 02-18-05, 04:38 AM

yeah, they look great -- videos off the disc (So far the only one I've seen is Fafner which has clips from the anime) look even better.. Cant wait to see what the UMD Movies (And stuff like final fantasy) lok like
Old 02-18-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the psp looks really cool, but everyone from the US who is into Tech knows that by the time all the really cool stuff for this gets over here there will probably be a psp 2 in japan that can do everything except walk your dog and change diapers.

i'm still waiting for tv on my mobile phone, it is sick how cool that is.

oh well i hope they have a good movie selection for this thing, and if halo 2 would come out for it ah it would be so cool then lol.

this thing is going to be the gameboy for the next gen of kids out there, and i remember how big the gameboy was ah wow what its like to be old, and yeah i'm talking the gameboy no color or nothing looks like an nes gray and red buttons OLD SCHOOL.
Old 02-18-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
the psp looks really cool, but everyone from the US who is into Tech knows that by the time all the really cool stuff for this gets over here there will probably be a psp 2 in japan that can do everything except walk your dog and change diapers.

i'm still waiting for tv on my mobile phone, it is sick how cool that is.

oh well i hope they have a good movie selection for this thing, and if halo 2 would come out for it ah it would be so cool then lol.

this thing is going to be the gameboy for the next gen of kids out there, and i remember how big the gameboy was ah wow what its like to be old, and yeah i'm talking the gameboy no color or nothing looks like an nes gray and red buttons OLD SCHOOL.
Red vs. Blue is going to be the closest your going to get to seeing Halo 2 on the PSP.