Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1/Only PSP Versus Nintendo DS Thread (for ALL "vs" Discussion - keep it civil)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The 1/Only PSP Versus Nintendo DS Thread (for ALL "vs" Discussion - keep it civil)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 01:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the rules:

Instead of having every thread about either the DS or PSP turn into a silly pissing match we'll have one thread for such pissing matches. This is that thread. Compare & contrast to your heart's content. The rules are no blatent trolling and no blatent thread crapping. No name calling, no insults, etc. I don't mind heated discussion as long as it's civil & intelligent, not rude and juvenile.

For now on keep your PSP versus DS stuff here, the DS and PSP threads are for discussion about those particular handhelds.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you pick the DS screen shots?

Old 02-06-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PEACE! Can't we all get along? I mean seriously, yes the PSP has better graphics and yes the DS is innovative and has potential for something truely new, what else is there to say in this debate?

Oh yes, the PSP has a bunch of crappy additions with it, boo-hoo! And yes the DS has not enough DS specific games right now, boo-hoo!

Anything else?

Oh yeah, the PSP has shorter battery life, ahh! But wait the DS is not as sexy!

There. Have a nice day. Sorry had to rant. Tired of all the fanboys that feel some personal pride in the system like they engineered it or own stock in the company. Have a nice day.
Old 02-06-05, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
PEACE! Can't we all get along? I mean seriously, yes the PSP has better graphics and yes the DS is innovative and has potential for something truely new, what else is there to say in this debate?

Oh yes, the PSP has a bunch of crappy additions with it, boo-hoo! And yes the DS has not enough DS specific games right now, boo-hoo!

Anything else?

Oh yeah, the PSP has shorter battery life, ahh! But wait the DS is not as sexy!

There. Have a nice day. Sorry had to rant.
Old 02-06-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are we talking hardware or software comparisons? There is clearly a big diffence between the two systems. The PSP will win the graphics issue hands down. And the DS will win the price issue (for now). Both have wireless capabilities, so IMO, the only other real difference is games and game play.
Old 02-06-05, 01:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Here's my take and feelings on this whole VS thing. I'll start talking about the DS and go from there.

I bought a DS. I like it. A lot. I owned the GBA original model which I think was severely flawed due to its poor screen. I skipped the SP model due to my anger about them fixing their problem by charging us more money. I bought the DS for a long trip I was going to take thanks to some Target gift cards. I now own Mario 64 which is very good, an awesome game really. I never played the original so I"m having a blast. Worth it for that game. What also makes it worth it is the screen looks incredible for GBA games. It's like playing all my GBA for the first time again. I love it!

Ok the graphics. The GBC = the original Nintendo quality, the GBA = Super Nintendo (and slightly better) quality, the DS = N64 quality. That's cool because on such a small screen you won't see the graphics blown up so they don't look as bad. I didn't own the N64, so I'm hoping to get a bunch of ports. This is where the DS has been disappointing me a lot. I cracked a joke in another thread about the lack of games and this is partly due to some frustration. I would LOVE to see N64 ports since I never played any of those games and the next game I probably will own is the Metroid which is original. I don't see anything big coming down the shoot for a long time after that. As much as I can continue feasting on the GBA library, I'd like to see them throw some quick and good ports down the shoot for the DS. Ridge Racer is a start, but the game kinda sucks. I'd like to see N release some of its quality 1st party N64 games other than just Mario... & sooner rather than later since as I understand it, this is a tweener system much like the GBC.

The touch screen is just OK for me. The built in chat software is cool, I'm thinking about getting one for my wife so we can talk on long trips when we don't sit next to each other, but the price will have to drop for that and a good Sims game will have to come out to convince her. The touch screen doesn't seem very good for travel on planes with bumpy rides and lack of hand space. I dunno it just doesn't do it for me other than the chat thing. Maybe this will change but not yet. The split screen is kinda cool, not too bad. I love the clamshell design a lot.

The PSP is on the horizon. The DS was never intended to compete directly with it, the next GB is. Until I play a PSP and see how it is I won't know how they compare. I have a feeling the graphics won't be that big a deal since they are both small screens, but that might change. I'm considering getting one but only for $200. Maybe for Xmas next year. I really like what Sony is doing for this system though. The launch titles are phenominal and have me as a DS owner jealous. The gadgets and addons are pretty decent and would make for a nice traveling system. I'm not sure which one I would take on long trips, maybe both, but I'm not for sure.

As for this whole versus thing, I just don't see what's the big deal. They are both cool systems. I'm not sure why one support has to constantly chime in in the other guy's thread and crap all of it or just pick away. I enjoy my DS, I can even make fun of the fact there aren't many games for it, but I still really like it a lot. The PSP is a lot more money and better graphics, but you are paying for those graphics. That's cool. The launch games look pretty nice and although I'm not getting one, I think it's awesome there is finally competition in the handheld arena and I'm glad a big player like Sony is leading the charge. We all know that competition is a great thing and leads to lower prices, better games and better hardware.

So if you guys want to keep posting the same bickering arguments here over and over again that's cool. Like I said keep it clean and civil, and stay away from the rudeness, we don't want to look like Political Talk here do we?
Old 02-06-05, 01:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by edstein
Are we talking hardware or software comparisons? There is clearly a big diffence between the two systems. The PSP will win the graphics issue hands down. And the DS will win the price issue (for now). Both have wireless capabilities, so IMO, the only other real difference is games and game play.

We are talking about any comparison period. If you hate the DS and yet you find yourself in the DS thread constantly making posts about it that are negative, this is your thread. Ditto with the PSP haters.

Just keep it clean is all I ask.
Old 02-06-05, 01:39 PM

2 games that would make me buy a DS...Metroid and that new 2D Mario. I'm sitting it out to see whether a 3D shooter is going to be any fun on such a small screen. Hell I'm even skeptical with a 3D shooters on a PSP.
Old 02-06-05, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I don't see anything big coming down the shoot for a long time after that.
Maybe they'll come out with some cool "First-Person Chuters" you might like!

::
Old 02-06-05, 02:18 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
That's it in a nutshell. The PSP is an awesome system for people who love the PS2 and its game library. It's a sleek system and the graphics are amazing for a handheld.

The DS is more for people like me that want to see something new. So far the lineup sucks, but there's some intriguing games coming out that I can't wait to try out. I'm sick of playing the same old crap with a fresh coat of paint over and over again to the point that I've consider selling my PS2 and X-box in recent months. I'm hoping the DS and the Revolution in a couple years will offer enough innovation to renew my interest in gaming. If not I'll move on and put the money toward DVDs and investments.
Old 02-06-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I don't really have any major bashing of either system. Both seem fairly well thought out (I guess both could have slightly better controls) and targeted for a specific audience. My big complaint about both right now is games. Neither has much of a software lineup.

My big problems with the DS right now is the lack of an analog controller (not a major issue with every game, but bugged the hell out of me playing Mario), 3rd parties turning the touch screen into a negative feature (Tiger Woods is probably the worst offender) and the above mentioned lack of DS software. However, FF III and Castlevania will probably push me towards a DS purchase eventually.

My big problems with the PSP are the bundle (a total waste of $50 I would rather spend on a bigger memory stick), the highly questionable build quality (a few too many stories of control button issues and quality issues for me to feel comfortable) and the above mentioned lack of software. The $40 price tags on games does nothing to interest me either. It is rare I will pay more than $30 for a portable game disc or cart.

The thing hurting the PSP with me right now is actually the problems I have had with other Sony products. Besides the 3 original model PS2s I had crap out on me a few years ago my Sony DVD Burner which I rarely used died on me, my brand new Hi-MD minidisc player stopped reading discs a few weeks after I bought it and now my Sony slim PStwo seems to have a bad controller 1 port (you have to keep moving the plug around to get it to recognize any controller you plug in).

As a consumer I start to lose trust in a company that sells me one faulty product after the next. Sony used to mean quality, but those days are long gone. They are no better than Apex now.
Old 02-06-05, 02:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Maybe they'll come out with some cool "First-Person Chuters" you might like!

Who's the bigger fool? Me or the guy who doesn't know that doesn't require ::
Old 02-06-05, 02:37 PM
Retired

Wow that's a shitty string of luck Darkside.

The only sony product I've ever had crap out on me was a disc man years ago, and that was after being dropped and tossed around for a couple years.

And I've had a ton of sony stuff: PS1, PS2, the old discman, a new discman, and boombox, a Wega TV, a DVD Player, a "component" CD player I've had for 12 years, mine tape recorder, etc. All those are still in use and work fine except the PS1 which was still working fine when I sold it years ago when I got a PS2.
Old 02-06-05, 02:58 PM
Retired

I was just reading through the latest EGM (godfather cover) and it looks like a lot of the PSP launch games have some issues from the impressions they posted.

Twisted Metal Head On: "..with bland empty levels and slighly choppy visuals, Head-on looked a bit ragged."

Ape Escape- Main gripe is that it doesn't work without two analog sticks

ATV Off Road Fury- "Choppy, sluggis graphics leech any sensation of spped, and unrefined control renders the game nearly unplayable with the PSP's analog nub..."

But the rest of the games got positive marks including Wipeout, Ridege Racer, Spider-man 2, Untold Legends and Need for Speed.

Some crap games at launch are to be expected as companies rush to get games out to get the early adopters to snap them up. People get a shiny new toy and want to snap up games for it. I know I've bought my fair share of launch games that I would have passed on if not for the "new toy" phenomenon.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 02-06-05 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Who's the bigger fool? Me or the guy who doesn't know that doesn't require ::
Hmm, tough to say. The guy who didn't know you didn't need to use colons to display a certain smiley face on web messageboard software vBulletin Version 3.0.5, when probably 80% or more of the other smiley faces expressed on that same software do require colons, or the guy who doesn't know the difference between "shoots" and "chutes"?

I gotta give you the edge on this one.
j/k
Old 02-06-05, 04:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Hmm, tough to say. The guy who didn't know you didn't need to use colons to display a certain smiley face on web messageboard software vBulletin Version 3.0.5, when probably 80% or more of the other smiley faces expressed on that same software do require colons, or the guy who doesn't know the difference between "shoots" and "chutes"?

I gotta give you the edge on this one.
j/k
Shoots and laddars was always my favorite game.

Old 02-06-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
The DS offers the kinds of games I like to play on handhelds - Nintendo games. Either 1st party or GBA specific.

The only thing the PSP offers is nicer graphics (which I don't care about) and movie/photos/music (which I already have a pocket PC for.

Which is why I own a DS

Last edited by Draven; 02-06-05 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 07:42 PM

I just pre-order the PSP at Gamestop B&M (Online store only offer bundles). I'm not impressed with the opening line-up, I think the thrid party will be strong in the future. I will probably only buy 2 or 3 games in the beginning. I really like everthing the PSP will be able to do. The fact it uses memory stick was a strong plus. I have several 512 MB sticks from my MiniDV and digital camera.

The DS isn't bad it just carry several points. I don't think third party support will be strong for the DS. I just think Nintendo designs their game system more for their software, than third party companies. The screen is a little to small for me and dual screen seems like a gimmick.

While I wasn't happy with sony PSP value pak, I can live with the extra fifty buck hit. I sure couldn't do the bundles the on-line stores (EB & Gamestop) were offering.
Old 02-06-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Wow that's a shitty string of luck Darkside.
I forgot about the Vaio I owned for about a day three years ago. The hard drive was faulty and since it was the last one Best Buy had in stock I ended up getting a Compaq instead.

To be fair I have had zero problems with my Sony Wega TV or my various Sony DVD players one a 1998 model that still works great. I have two other Sony DVD players that both work great and a 2003 minidisc player that has always worked well. No problem with my portable audio stuff bought in the 90's either. I still have an old tape player and CD player over a decade old that still work.

For some reason though I have been snakebit by Sony's Computer and Video Game products so I will be hesitant to drop $250 on a PSP. Hell I haven't gotten a good PS2 in four tries.
Old 02-07-05, 02:31 PM

Thought this was funny.
Old 02-07-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have either but am leaning towards the DS. The main issue for me is game play, and nintendo will probably have better first party games. I expect some good ports. I don't care much about graphics in a portable. If I want great graphics, I play on a large TV, not some small screen. I do wish the DS screen was the size of the PSP, but I don't think that is a big enough knock to sway me.
Old 02-07-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I don't have either but am leaning towards the DS. The main issue for me is game play, and nintendo will probably have better first party games. I expect some good ports. I don't care much about graphics in a portable. If I want great graphics, I play on a large TV, not some small screen. I do wish the DS screen was the size of the PSP, but I don't think that is a big enough knock to sway me.
Oh come on, we know the real reason you're going with the DS is because the PSP body doesn't have any room for a Boron Cowpunch sticker.
Old 02-09-05, 08:47 PM

Question: Where are the speakers on the PSP?
Old 02-10-05, 02:27 PM

Anyway, I don't have either, but I think I'd get a Nintendo DS.

The main reason I want to get a DS is to play my Game Boy Advance games on it. I only have the old style GBA that I have since 2001. I want to be able to play them on the clear and backlit screen of the DS.

As for the DS games themselves, I think they suit my tastes better. Since I only play at home, I want my handheld games to be different than the ones that I play on the TV. I dunno, there's just someting special about handhelds, but the PSP seems to be missing that. I hate the fact that there aren't many games available, though. But I guess I'd just buy more GBA games in the meantime.

It also costs a full $100 less than PSP. The price of the the PSP is more than what I would pay for a handheld.

In my opinion, the best thing about the PSP was the inclusion of an analog stick. But after playing the Metroid Prime: Hunters - First Hunt demo I saw that the touch screen worked as good as an analog stick, or even a mouse. I haven't played the PSP, but I heard that the analog stick is too loose, and that the square button isn't as responsive as the rest of the buttons.

I like the clamshell design of the DS. The PSP's seem too similar to the Sega Game Gear and the original Game Boy Advance, which were flawed.

The DS might the last handheld that I buy since mostly likely it will be the last console that has 2D games.
Old 02-10-05, 02:45 PM

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.