Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help from someone in the UK (Defender of Grayskull PS2)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so here's the deal. This unusual request is regarding the He-Man: Defender of Grayskull game for the PS2. My godson was promised that he would be getting this game Christmas of 2003, and of course it was indefinitely delayed. It isn't even supposed to be released in the US at this point anymore. However, it's due to be released this month in the UK.

Now, assuming that a PS2 game from the UK will work on his US PS2 (will it?), I am hoping that someone in the UK could order this title from Amazon.co.uk or some other reputable well-priced source and ship it to me at my cost. This kid has been waiting impatiently for this game, and it's so hard to keep telling him that they canceled it. The price at Amazon is 29.99 (Euros, I suppose) with free UK shipping. The link is here.

I'm not sure how many of you out there are living in the UK and can help, but I can't stress enough how much I would appreciate it. Again, it's to make the kid happy, and it's been a pain enough for him to find out that He-Man figures were discontinued last year.

Please post or email me if you can help or if you have any idea of a better way I could procure this video game without bugging anyone too much. Thanks so much!
Old 02-01-05, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UK games unfortunately won't work on a U.S. PS2. If it's any consolation, I heard the game was supposed to be crap.

If he has a GBA, there was a He-Man game released in the U.S. for that system - He-Man: Power of Grayskull. Again, from what I've heard, it's not very good. It might be something to consider though (assuming he doesn't already have it). It seems very hard to find online now. Buy.com is the only website I see it listed on (link here). If you want to go this route, you could try calling the local stores first to see if they have the game. Probably won't be worth the hassle though.

BTW, not that it matters now, but you don't need to be from England to order items from amazon.co.uk. I've ordered from them before without any problems, and I'm in America.

Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 02-01-05 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta
UK games unfortunately won't work on a U.S. PS2. If it's any consolation, I heard the game was supposed to be crap.

If he has a GBA, there was a He-Man game released in the U.S. for that system - He-Man: Power of Grayskull. Again, from what I've heard, it's not very good. It might be something to consider though (assuming he doesn't already have it). It seems very hard to find online now. Buy.com is the only website I see it listed on (link here). If you want to go this route, you could try calling the local stores first to see if they have the game. Probably won't be worth the hassle though.

BTW, not that it matters now, but you don't need to be from England to order items from amazon.co.uk. I've ordered from them before without any problems, and I'm in America.

Wow, thanks for all the info. First of all, I didn't even realize we could order from Amazon's UK store...they specifically list the countries they ship to...the US isn't one of them. But the game won't work on the US PS2? That really sucks! Truthfully, it doesn't matter if the game is supposed to be good or not--it would make the kid happy, and he doesn't know a good game from a bad one. He already has the GBA game btw, but thanks for the link. I guess we'll just have to hold out for a US version. I won't hold my breath.
Old 02-02-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon UK won't ship videogames outside the UK (well maybe to europe, but definitely not to aus). Books are ok for example.

However there are at least a couple of other sites who do. I'd recommend www.cd-wow.co.uk as being the best, pricewise, and they ship anywhere for free.

Playing PAL PS2 games may be supported by some of the ps2 mod chips but you would have to research this and then purchase and install the chip. It defintely won't be playable on a un modified console.

Last edited by Chris_D; 02-02-05 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Amazon UK won't ship videogames outside the UK (well maybe to europe, but definitely not to aus). Books are ok for example.

However there are at least a couple of other sites who do. I'd recommend www.cd-wow-co.uk as being the best, pricewise, and they ship anywhere for free.

Playing PAL PS2 games may be supported by some of the ps2 mod chips but you would have to research this and then purchase and install the chip. It defintely won't be playable on a un modified console.

Chris, that CD Wow link isn't working...
Old 02-02-05, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bad about yahoo.co.uk. Apparently, they won't ship games (probably because UK games don't play on U.S. systems), but they do ship books and items of that nature.

You could go the mod chip route (as suggested above), but it's risky, expensive, and probably not worth it for a kid's system just for one (mediocre) game that may or may not work (I believe there are complications with U.K. PAL signals on U.S. TVs, but I could be wrong there).

I wouldn't hold my breath on the game either, but the original Masters of the Universe cartoons are coming to DVD later this year, so you never know. I doubt it, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 02-02-05 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry about that. Try: http://www.cd-wow.co.uk

I've fixed the link in my post too.