Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

whats with all the console threads? where are the PC game threads?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how come 9 out of 10 of all the threads in here are console related?

Doesnt anyone play PC games? Why dont they just rename this forum to the PS2/Xbox forum -

console games are for kiddies
Old 01-27-05, 12:12 AM

The problem is that the number of good computer games has fallen off a cliff in the past few years. I used to be an exclusive pc gamer, but now that the best sports games are no longer on pc I was forced to switch.

Taylor34
Old 01-27-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems the PC gamers are over in the Other Forum.
Old 01-27-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In 2004 I bought 3 pc games and about 20-30 console games. That says it all really.
Old 01-27-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gamecube gets no love? Not that I own one. I think that you will fine that there are alot more people playing console games then pc games on the whole. That is why you see alot more threads on that type of game.
Old 01-27-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PC Games is the only way to go.
Old 01-27-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taylor34
The problem is that the number of good computer games has fallen off a cliff in the past few years. I used to be an exclusive pc gamer, but now that the best sports games are no longer on pc I was forced to switch.

Taylor34

Sorry, but i couldnt disagree with you more. The last 2 years we have seen some games that kick the doody out of any crap on some console box. And this is not to mention the freakin insanely awesome stuff thats just aroundt he corner (F.E.A.R., Nexus, Age of Empires III)

Half Life 2
UT2004
Flt Sim 2004
Lock On
Warhammer
Doom 3
Rome Total War
and a bunch of others-
Old 01-27-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Every PC game thread I started seemed to be discouraged, so I stopped doing it. I'm all about PC gaming though. I have over 100 xbox games and several games for PS2 and Dreamcast and I still have 5x as many PC games as I do console. I'm starting to see PC gaming like continuing to buy vinyl when everyone's switched to tapes and CDs... something else I still do.
Old 01-27-05, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I think it's obvious, and Trigger would agree, that opinions like consoles aren't worth playing and consoles are for kiddies (kind of reminds me of the old Gamecube threads) aren't going to find you a lot of sympathy round here.

And you'd probably be surprised that a lot of people here are former pc gamers, or still do play a lot of pc games. I started out with a 386 back in 91 and Baldurs gate 2 is still my favourite rpg of all time. Was one of the best warcraft 2 players on kali back in it's day (never played starcraft nearly as much). I still go to a lan every 2-3 months, usually playing stuff like CS, UT2k4, Warcraft 3, Rome Total War. I played Star wars galaxies for 6 months but then felt like I'd done all I wanted to in the game so closed my account. Just kicked of Half life 2 single player a week ago.

Overall the pc hasn't been getting a lot of loving over the past couple of years (in terms of games released) so I've been spending overwhelmly more time playing xbox,ps2,gc,dc. Plus that's my preferred environment for playing games (couch, HT setup, console controller etc.).

Most of the above is my opinion only .
Old 01-27-05, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skiblet
BWAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!
Old 01-27-05, 06:49 AM

Don't you know? Everyone with a PC is playing World of Warcraft

Kalishiva
Rogue
Icecrown
Level 39 (12 more gold until I can afford a horse!)
Old 01-27-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, but i couldnt disagree with you more. The last 2 years we have seen some games that kick the doody out of any crap on some console box. And this is not to mention the freakin insanely awesome stuff thats just aroundt he corner (F.E.A.R., Nexus, Age of Empires III)

Half Life 2
UT2004
Flt Sim 2004
Lock On
Warhammer
Doom 3
Rome Total War
and a bunch of others-
I think PC gaming has been better this year than it has been in a long time. You didn't even mention:

World of Warcraft
Farcry
Sid Meier's Pirates
The Sims 2
Old 01-27-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Half Life 2
UT2004
Flt Sim 2004
Lock On
Warhammer
Doom 3
Rome Total War
and a bunch of others-
Half Life 2 - played the demo, it was okay. Not worth upgrading my computer for
UT2004 - own it, played it, dumped it for Halo 2 on my 50-inch TV
Flt Sim 2004 - *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - snoooooooooore"
Lock On - see above
Warhammer - not my kind of game
Doom 3 - rather play it when it comes out for Xbox - plus the flashlight/gun thing sounds beyond retarded
Rome Total War - I stopped playing RTS after WCIII

The bottom line is I got tired of upgrading my system. I have a nice home theater setup, the aforementioned 50-inch widescreen television and a backlog of console games to play. Tell me why I should be playing games I don't like on my PC instead?

Oh, and explain to me how I am a "kid?"
Old 01-27-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I was way console for a few years and now i'm back to pc (well, actually Mac). I think my pc gaming time revolves around Blizzard releases. I played a ton of WCIII then went back to consoles until WoW came out. now i'm back on pc. I havent even played Halo 2 more than an hour or two since i got it back in Nov.
Old 01-27-05, 10:14 AM

Or 30 year olds who have a much better home theater setup than PC and not enough time on their hands to screw with driver updates, game installs, updates blah blah blah...
Old 01-27-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did somebody leave the cage unlocked?
Old 01-27-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh my lord-

to all the adult adolescents in here that got offended about the consoles are for kiddies remark - TRY TO SETTLE DOWN. The fact is - your playing a watered down quality game. The graphics on a console are embarassingly bad compared to the graphics on a high end computer. If thats OK with you, then fine-

I just wrote the thread simply because I do not understand the disproportionate amount of attention that an inferior system gets, over a vastly superior system. I have owned a PS2, and Xbox, - and it looked like a joke compared to my new computer.

The attraction to console games are - its cheap and easy to setup. its a nobrainer. you take the little box plug it in to your tv, you play. people like that-

but i guarentee every single person in this forum, if you had the chance to compare the experience of console gaming, to gaming on a high end gaming machine - my point would be really obvious.

Last edited by skiblet; 01-27-05 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-27-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

oh my lord-

to all the adult adolescents in here that got offended about the consoles are for kiddies remark - TRY TO SETTLE DOWN. The fact is - your playing a watered down quality game. The graphics on a console are embarassingly bad compared to the graphics on a high end computer. If thats OK with you, then fine-

I just wrote the thread simply because I do not understand the disproportionate amount of attention that an inferior system gets, over a vastly superior system. I have owned a PS2, and Xbox, - and it looked like a joke compared to my new computer.

The attraction to console games are - its cheap and easy to setup. its a nobrainer. you take the little box plug it in to your tv, you play. people like that-

but i guarentee every single person in this forum, if you had the chance to compare the experience of console gaming, to gaming on a high end gaming machine - my point would be really obvious.
First of all, it's impossible for me to get "worked up" by anything someone says on the Internet. So don't worry about it.

Secondly, if you are too ignorant of all of the MANY benefits to console gaming, I don't have the time or energy to educate you.

I've built my own computers for years. I know all about quality graphics cards, sound cards, etc. The simple fact of the matter is that unless you are willing to drop some serious coin nearly twice a year, you aren't playing on a "high end" gaming machine. In order to play Doom 3 at the highest level, I'd have to upgrade my 2 year old computer completely. To play Doom 3 on my Xbox, with my 5.1 surround system and 50-inch high-definition monitor, I have to pay 50 bucks for the game.

It seems pretty UNadult to be spending shitloads of money to stay on the cutting edge of computer graphics technology. Because that is all you are really basing your criticisms of console games on: the graphics. Oh, and you can't really do RTS well on a console, you've got me there.

Most of us are adults. Most of us don't make TONS of money. And most of us would rather spend $650 on a new console and 10 AAA-quality games than the latest graphics card and Half Life 2.

If thats OK with you, then fine-
Old 01-27-05, 11:59 AM

oh my lord-

Ah, I get it now, your whole argument has been about graphics. In that case, I'll have to agree with you, yes the graphics on a 2-3 thousand dollar PC will be better than a 2-3 hundred dollar console.

Personally, I can no longer justify spending that kind of money every couple of years to remain "high-end". If you can, more power to you. I don't agree with your statement that console graphics are "embarassingly bad" and that a PC is a "vastly superior system". PC graphics better? Of course, they should be for money that is shelled out. Vastly superior? It's all relative, ease of use and price are more important factors to me at this point in my life.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but saying "console games are for kiddies" is something a kiddie would say.

Last edited by murray731; 01-27-05 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I have a high-end game machine. I built it myself and upgrade it myself when wanted. Console games still get most of my time.

Even if my favorite franchises were available on PC also (which they're not), I would still prefer console.
Old 01-27-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have.

I prefer:

Laying on a couch several feet away from a large TV as opposed to sitting in a computer chair two feet away from a monitor. I do enough of that during the day.

Not having to remember complex keyboard commands.

Not playing FPS or most RTS games.

Playing two, three, or four player with friends in the same room.

Not having to spend hundreds of dollars for a new graphics card when the latest, greatest new computer game comes out. I buy consoles much less often.
Old 01-27-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
And this brings us to the other reason there aren't any PC game threads... because console gamers feel the need to come into every single one of them and post about how they would rather sit in front of a tv on a couch and how they hate upgrading their pc and blah blah blah... it's tiresome and reason enough to give up trying to have discussions about pc games around here. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good forums where people can talk about pc games without having to put up with that.
Old 01-27-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trigger
And this brings us to the other reason there aren't any PC game threads... because console gamers feel the need to come into every single one of them and post about how they would rather sit in front of a tv on a couch and how they hate upgrading their pc and blah blah blah... it's tiresome and reason enough to give up trying to have discussions about pc games around here. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good forums where people can talk about pc games without having to put up with that.
If you start a thread about playing Rome: Total War or WC III, I highly doubt console gamers will come in and bash. If they do, report them. In fact, even though I haven't read it, I imagine the long WOW thread hasn't had to deal with console players complaining.

If you start a thread complaining about the lack of PC gaming threads by insulting those of us that chose not to play them, you open yourself to criticism.
Old 01-27-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
There have been numerous discussions on the pros and cons of PC and console gaming. But long story short, there's probably just more console gamers out there. DVDTalk has a handful of PC gamers, but since there isn't as many big title games coming out, you don't see many threads on them. Start a few and i'm sure you'll get responses on them.
Old 01-27-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
He started the thread by trolling console users. You're pointing your finger in the wrong direction.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.