Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

New system on the way, what games to try?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a new system today from New Egg, along with Half Life 2, and Far Cry (which was a freebie). Which one should I tackle first?

What other games should I try? I'd like to give World of Warcraft a shot, but am not sure I want to pay the monthly fee. Favorite genre are FPSes. Not such a huge fan of RTS anymore. I do like RPGs (just reminded myself I'll need to get KOTOR).

System is an Athlon 64 3000+ with a gig of ram and a GeForce 6600GT (AGP).

Brian
Old 01-27-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may like Doom3. It is very dark though. The enemies are cool but, the level design is very linear and 99% indoors.
Old 01-27-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try Half-Life 2 first, only thing Far Cry has going for it is its graphics other than it isn't very good. And if you like RPGs, pick up Morrowind!!! One of the best PC RPGs ever made.
Old 01-27-05, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want to save some money on games, just get WOW. A ton of my friends are playing it, and they all love it. Some are newbies and some are hardcore eq players. I bet the $15 would be well worth it.

The only reason I haven't got it yet is because it seems dangerous .
Old 01-27-05, 10:10 AM

You might want to give Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay a shot for your FPS fix, assuming you haven't played it on XBox. Nice graphics, great story and the commentaries are interesting enough for a second play through.
Old 01-27-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also have a new computer and the wife will be out of town for 10 days so thought I would get a couple new games. I have HL2 (best game ever) and Doom 3. Thought about buying Far Cry and X-Men Legends. Any other games or are these 2 good picks? Also thought about City of Heros over Legends but I really like X-men. I mostly like FPS but also enjoyed the C&C games and Star Craft. I haven't really been in the PC game loop for a few years since my computer wasn't up to specs but now am looking to do some more gaming. Any other ideas?
Old 01-27-05, 12:11 PM

I don't believe X-Men Legends is available for PC. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth might suit your needs for a RTS, it received pretty good reviews.
Old 01-27-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I were to go with an RTS, I would get Warcraft III, but the new Freedom Force comes out soon I think.
Old 01-27-05, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by murray731
I don't believe X-Men Legends is available for PC. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth might suit your needs for a RTS, it received pretty good reviews.
Sucks that Legends isn't available for PC. After looking a little closer at City of Heros, doesn't look like it is for me also. Will look into above suggestions more closely. Have heard good things about Riddick so it and Far Cry in the lead right now. Warcraft III and LOTR also possibilities some more people tell me that they are must haves. Anything else? Unreal Tournament 2004 has sparked my interest. Anyone else like this one?
Old 01-27-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bdshort, if you like FPS's try Painkiller. There's also an expansion out but I'm waiting for the bundle release to buy both at the same time. There's a demo at Gamespot.com featuring 3 levels. Great atmosphere, simple bloody action gameplay. Great game when you just want to shut your brain off and kill stuff. On your new system it will look great also

Bethesda has also been working on a new Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Here are a few screenies:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/theel...reenindex.html

Last edited by Darkfriend; 01-27-05 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Darkfriend
bdshort, if you like FPS's try Painkiller.
So I can't check it out?
Old 01-27-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ketamine
So I can't check it out?
You can get all 3 Painkiller demos here:

http://www.painkillergame.com/index2.php
Old 01-28-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the replies. Doom 3 is also on my check it out list, along with Painkiller. I actually tried the Painkiller demo on my current desktop (Athlon XP 1700+, GeForce 2 GTS 32, 256 megs ram), and even though parts of it ran like crap, it was pretty fun. My new system is quite a step up, so I can't wait to try it out on that.

I've seen Chronicles of Riddick recommended elsewhere as well, so I guess I'll have to look into that.

I also remembered I need to get Pandora Tomorrow. Loved the first Splinter Cell.

I probably will get WOW eventually, but will probably play some other games first.

Brian