Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

is it crucial to play ratchet and clank in order?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I wanted to start one of the new platform series (sly cooper, ratchet and clank, jak and daxter) and Ratchet seems to be the game favored so I'm ready to give it a go. My question is does it really matter what order I play the games in? I mean is there an over arcing story over the course of the three games? Is it good or something you just ignore and enjoy the platforming goodness?
Old 01-19-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
No, but it really helps in both difficulty and story, as each game is a little harder than the last, it helps to have played the previous one, and some characters and references work better when you've played the game and know what they're alluding to. Get 'em all, they're cheap.

Oh yeah, and if you have a Ratchet 1 save on your memory card, Ratchet 2 will use it to give you all the weapons you collected in the previous game, and Ratchet 3 does a similar thing with your Ratchet 2 save.
Old 01-19-05, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with what the other poster said. Plus, theres lots of little in jokes in the games as the series goes on that won't really be appreciated otherwise. I think each game is better as well as giving you new abilities (like leveling up weapons) that you don't get in the initial game, so I think going backward might make the first game seem unintentionally disappointing (but its still a fantastic game). Definately get them all, I think they are the best platformers of this console generation (although in reality they're more action/shooting games).
Old 01-19-05, 01:38 PM

I agree with the two above me. The story does continue from the first to the second to the third in small bits. I highly recommend you get all of them and start at the beginning. The first two you can find for 19.99$ each or lower. Great games!!!
Old 01-19-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the replies. I don't know which game uses it(maybe the second), but there was a video I saw of the rat looking guy running aruond on a mini-planet that just looked terribly cool and I figured I needed to play these games.
Old 01-19-05, 02:19 PM

I would start with the first one. If I remember correctly, there is a store in game 2 that allows you to use the weapons you had in game one. I haven't played 3 yet so I don't now if this continues or not.
Old 01-19-05, 02:58 PM

I'll just reiterate what other posters have already said. You should probably play whatever series you choose in order so the story can make sense. Especially Jak, there are some pretty big changes between 1, 2 and 3. You really can't go wrong with either of the three you mentioned though, they are all great.
Old 01-19-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember playing the Jak demo (for the first game) and hating the controls. I will revisit that one after I work through Ratchet and Sly as too many people enjoy if for there to be nothing good there.
Old 01-19-05, 06:01 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jak and Dexter is a fun series.. Haven't played 3 yet, but between 1 and 2, lots changed.

2 was more along the lines of Grand Theft Auto. I called it Grand Theft Auto: Jak and Dexter.

It was a mission based game and many different people gave missions to you.
But it was still fun.
Old 01-21-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if this series will be coming over to the PSP soon?