Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1/Only PSP Discussion Thread (No silly behavior allowed)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The 1/Only PSP Discussion Thread (No silly behavior allowed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of those stores should just sell it $10 cheaper than the rest and advertise it.
But then again, in the area we live in people won't buy unless the salesperson discounts anyway.
Old 03-19-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daryl
For those looking to go the B&M route this week:
Circuit City: Min. 15 per store. No early store opening. Only seem to be selling bundle with Twisted Metal. Buy 2 games, get a $10 instant GC. 256MB DUO 34.99 after instant savings and mail-in rebate. PSP price (bundle): $289
Damn! Are you sure they're only selling the Twisted Metal bundle? I'm kinda locked into buying mine from CC because of an $80 GC I have... but I didn't want to have to get a bundle... garr - stupid BUNDLES THAT ARE THE SAME PRICE AS BUYING EVERYTHING SEPERATELY!!!

*BUNDLE RAGE!*
Old 03-19-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cheapskate
Damn! Are you sure they're only selling the Twisted Metal bundle?
That's all they mention in the ad. They also explicitly exclude Twisted Metal from their "buy 2 get a $10 GC" deal, which would seem to suggest that is all they will have.
Old 03-19-05, 12:24 PM
Banned

I have a question about the psp and can't seem to find it in this forum... Does ANY Memory Stick PRO Duo work on the PSP? Or does it have to be the official one by sony in order for it to be compatible? Because Sandisk is releasing some new memory stick pro duo's designed espcially for the PSP.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=27974
The 1st 4
Old 03-19-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's all they mention in the ad. They also explicitly exclude Twisted Metal from their "buy 2 get a $10 GC" deal, which would seem to suggest that is all they will have.
Bummer - guess I'll find out on the day... thanks for the advance warning!
Old 03-19-05, 12:38 PM

First of all, what happened to the ability to easily 'Quote' at this forum? I don't want to have to enter the instructions myself every time, like I will in the following.

I have a question about the psp and can't seem to find it in this forum... Does ANY Memory Stick PRO Duo work on the PSP? Or does it have to be the official one by sony in order for it to be compatible? Because Sandisk is releasing some new memory stick pro duo's designed espcially for the PSP.
The last sentence you typed would seem to be the answer to the first two questions.

As long as the memory stick has DUO in its name, it'll work on PSP. Given the price difference typically found between Sony's and Sandisk's products, going the first-party route in this case seems a bit crazy. Unlike traditional gaming memory cards, everybody with a digital camera knows the third-party memory sticks/cards/etc already have a history of being reliable.
Old 03-19-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You quote stuff you just have to stop blocking it. Disable all you ad blockers and pop up blockers one at a time and refresh the screen to find out which one is blocking the quote button.
Old 03-19-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

more B&M stores that I missed in first ad run-through:

Gamerush (Blockbuster): $249. Nothing else special except an "exclusive" PSP iSound Speakers ($34.99)

Kmart: $249. They also have 19 games pictured.

Meijer (midwest chain - MI, OH, IN, IL, KY): $249. Goes on sale 12:01 am
Old 03-19-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Can someone link to how many megs people have shrunk a movie to? I want three movies, ~20 MP3s, and game saves and it looks like I'll have to buy a 1 gigger
Old 03-19-05, 10:58 PM

Came back from town with Twisted Metal Head-On from EB after trading in 3 games. Then snagged a pre-order for Metal Gear Ac!d and a partial pre-order for Ridge Racer after trading in another 3 games at Gamestop. Both stores are running some great deals for trade-ins when you getting PSP games.

While I was at Gamestop they told me I'll be able to get my pre-ordered PSP whenever I want to on Thursday. I was worried that I'd have to get there early in the morning or something crazy. Instead they said they'll have more then enough systems to go around. So I can just snag it on my way home from work.
Old 03-20-05, 02:10 AM

@Omyard: is tehre any specific rules for trading 3 games for 1 new PSP game ?
im consideting trading my vietiful joe (gamecube), slugfest(gc) and need for speed (ps2)
Old 03-20-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Can someone link to how many megs people have shrunk a movie to? I want three movies, ~20 MP3s, and game saves and it looks like I'll have to buy a 1 gigger
Using the Sony software for my old Clie a 320X240 resolution conversion of 90 minutes will result in a Mpeg4 file around 200MB. The higher the resolution the bigger the file and I can't remember what file sizes the PSP supports, but if you are trying to get three movies on there count on needing a 1GB stick.

Apparently 320X240 is the limit on the PSP off of the memory stick. That kind of sucks because I can go higher on my PDA. However, 320X240 gives a pretty good image if the source is something high quality like a DVD. If you are converting a divx file to a Mpeg4 expect a lot of artifacts as you are taking something already compressed and compressing it a second time. The compression artifacts will probably be less noticable on the PSP compared to my PDA though since the PSP has a lower resolution screen.

Last edited by darkside; 03-20-05 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-20-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
First of all, what happened to the ability to easily 'Quote' at this forum? I don't want to have to enter the instructions myself every time, like I will in the following.
As mentioned you need to check your adblocking software. Apparently, in order to discourage their use, the site creators have lumped certain graphics in the "ads" bin of their image sourcing. You can either disable the entire adblocking option or select which files to block. However, you are not supposed to use them per site rules.

OT:
What kind of battery life have you guys been getting?
Old 03-20-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to confirm...

Oh well... I probably would have picked up Twisted Metal anyway, based on the good reviews and the fun I used to have playing TM2... *BUNDLE RAGE FADING*
Old 03-20-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll wait until July to get one, when my birthday rolls around. I'm in no rush.

It's an awesome looking system, but I've just got too much shit I don't use already laying around my place.
Old 03-20-05, 01:55 PM

I did the trade in deal at EB this afternoon. I decided to reserve Lumines and Wipeout. It turns out that they had Wipeout in the back room already so they gave it to me today.

I have seen a number of pictures of the game discs in the past few weeks, but somehow I still didn't expect them to be as tiny as they are. At first I was concerned that they had given me an empty case since there seemed to be no weight to it. Fortunately, the clear cases make it easy to peek inside to see if the game is in there.
Old 03-20-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright guys, I'm late to this party.

I pre-ordered one of these with leftover BB credit, but haven't been folowing the PSP very closely. I have several games pre-ordered and am going to get whatever ends up getting the highest reviews, so I'm not worried about that.

My questions are:
- What accessories look to be the must haves?
- How tough is it going to be to put DVDs on the memory sticks? Could I fit one on a 256MB?

Anybody have any good answers? I want to definitely get the best case and maybe a charger/extra battery/etc.
Old 03-20-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by driv3
im consideting trading my vietiful joe (gamecube), slugfest(gc) and need for speed (ps2)
here's the list of excluded games from E.B.'s special offers
Old 03-20-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DamingR
Alright guys, I'm late to this party.

I pre-ordered one of these with leftover BB credit, but haven't been folowing the PSP very closely. I have several games pre-ordered and am going to get whatever ends up getting the highest reviews, so I'm not worried about that.

My questions are:
- What accessories look to be the must haves?
- How tough is it going to be to put DVDs on the memory sticks? Could I fit one on a 256MB?

Anybody have any good answers? I want to definitely get the best case and maybe a charger/extra battery/etc.
I'm really thinking an extra battery would be a good idea. You should be able to fit one 2 hour movie on a memory stick. I can't give you the instructions for converting a DVD on this forum, it is against the rules. A google search should give you this info pretty easily.
Old 03-20-05, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by driv3

here's the list of excluded games from E.B.'s special offers
Old 03-20-05, 08:11 PM

PLEASE, PLEASE forgive the OT, but its something that has been mentioned a few times in this thread, and I would really appriciate some help....

How do you QUOTE someone? I used to be able to quote left and right on here until dvdtalk changed over thier forums to this new design, now I have no idea how to quote. I took the advice on response #463 by "allowing all pop ups" on dvdtalk.com on my google bar, and I still cant check that little box below that says QUOTE MESSAGE IN REPLY. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
Old 03-20-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
PLEASE, PLEASE forgive the OT, but its something that has been mentioned a few times in this thread, and I would really appriciate some help....

How do you QUOTE someone? I used to be able to quote left and right on here until dvdtalk changed over thier forums to this new design, now I have no idea how to quote. I took the advice on response #463 by "allowing all pop ups" on dvdtalk.com on my google bar, and I still cant check that little box below that says QUOTE MESSAGE IN REPLY. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
You must have some kind of ad blocking software working. You need to turn it off.
Old 03-20-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Have you tried using the Quote button under each message instead of the quick reply box?
Old 03-20-05, 08:23 PM

Darkside... As far as I know the only ad blocking software I have running is the google bar, and I set it to allow all pop ups on this site.

GatorDeb.... I dont have a quote button under each message :-(
Old 03-20-05, 08:37 PM

man, just got back from local EB and they said they didnt have that 3 games for 1 psp game deal anymore

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.