DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   xbox as a dvd player (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/403614-xbox-dvd-player.html)

Venom 01-04-05 10:15 PM

xbox as a dvd player

hey guys,

my cheap jvc now only plays about 30% of the time. i get "no disc" errors for no reason. i don't want to buy another cheap/junk dvd player again, but don't really have the cash to buy a "decent" player. i was thinking about getting an Xbox since, well, it's all so an Xbox.

right now i am using my ps2 to play anything that my jvc won't. but i don't like using the ps2. i don't have the dvd control, maybe that effects things, but using the controller sucks and is a pain in the ass. would the xbox be better? i know for the xbox i'd need to buy the dvd kit, but would the ps2 controller make the ps2 more user friendly? can a learning/programable remote be used?

i am also keen on the xbox for the hardrive to store some mp3s and to mod it to make it region free, so any info on that would be nice.

give me your opinions please. thanks.

Gizmo 01-04-05 10:16 PM

PS2 DVD remotes can be gotten as cheap as $8 for a junky offbrand one, olr $15 for the official Sony one with many more options then an XBox remote.

Chris_D 01-04-05 10:22 PM

I gather the standard xbox playback has some issues, but if you are modding it then you can install any software dvd player you want. I think the Xbox Media Center comes with one for example. They support the use of the xbox controller as a remote so you don't need to purchase the microsoft dvd remote.

Li 01-04-05 10:47 PM

If you have a Playstation, and don't have a lot of money to spend (an Xbox would be $150 + $30 for the remote), why not just get a PS2 remote? They are really nice. When I got my new slim PS2 I was really happy because I could again use my DVD remote, which I had lost the sensor to a while back (making it useless on the old model).

Then again, I have heard playing DVDs on the PS2 is not such a good idea, as it can damage the laser or something, but I never had a problem with the larger model and have yet to on the new one, so I can't say from experience.

Word or warning though: if you do decide to get a PS2 remote, make sure it has the sensor included! The new remotes Sony is producing do not have them since the new model does not need it.

Breakfast with Girls 01-04-05 11:25 PM

If you want a decent region-free DVD player that also does PAL/NTSC conversion, pick up a Philips DVD 727. You can get one for as low as $39.99 online... $74.99 at Amazon. I think I picked mine up at Target for $69.99.

KingSmoth 01-04-05 11:55 PM

My PS2 is over 2.5 years old and has been my DVD player from day one, and has never had a single problem with a game or DVD(I guess I'm one of the lucky ones). The Sony DVD remote is much better to use than the controller - more options and a simple layout I easily memorized. I see used Sony remotes at EB all the time for $7.99, or they're $15 new anywhere, although as said they don't have the sensor anymore. I'm not sure if a programmable remote can be used for the PS2 or not.

dvd182 01-05-05 12:04 AM

Modded Xbox is the way to go for me, as it also plays divx/xvid (in Xbox Media Center). However, your cheapest (and probably best) bet is going to be getting the PS2 remote. Check Toys R Us, I got the official remote there for $4.50 since it was on sale for 70% off. It's worth a shot.

edstein 01-05-05 12:24 AM

The newer PS2's are progressive scan as well. Xbox is not PS. Go for the PS2 remote option.

RyoHazuki 01-05-05 05:28 PM

Is there any other program, besides XBMC, for a modded xbox that can play dvds from other regions?

msdmoney 01-05-05 07:33 PM

I believe the xbox requires an extra dvd remote in order to play dvd's because I couldn't get my xbox to play them. I think you would be better off with a cheap dvd player, or the dvd remote for the pS2 as others have mentioned.

Chris_D 01-05-05 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I believe the xbox requires an extra dvd remote in order to play dvd's because I couldn't get my xbox to play them.

That's only if you don't have a modded xbox.

Venom 02-11-05 02:23 AM

to bring this thread back...

i still never made any decision. i've been using the PS2 with a corded controller. it is a pain in the ass but i have been making due. in the bargins forum i saw one store maybe CC, had an Xbox with a free DVD kit for 149. basiclly the remote/ability for free.

again i am thinking about getting the xbox...

first, i need a dvd player, i have a ps2 but besides GTA games, it is rarely played. however, the idea of having a dvd player, that plays xbox games is interesting to me. rather then an xbox as also being a dvd player. i'm trying to think of over all value. i know there are cheap ass dvd players out there, but i've already gone through two of them in less then a year, that adds up. i think the xbox would be quality an as a added bonus, it is an xbox. my youngest brother has an xbox and enjoys it alot. i could borrow games from him since i don't think i would buy many games. so the xbox "feature" would be used, albeit not too often.

my brother doesn't have dvd play back so i got a few simple questions...

does the xbox have zoom?
A-B repeat?
play jpegs?
play mpegs?
play cd-r?
can a universal remote be used/learned?

i know the simple solution would be getting a PS2 remote, but i'm ticked at it. it has been having some trouble playing dvds, GTA SA has been playing fine. but with alot of dvds it skips and pauses way too much; kind of like a layer change, but many times and pixilates.

also, from using the controller as a remote, the ps2 doesn't have a zoom, a-b repeat, etc. perhaps thoe functions come with the remote, but i don't know.

amped 02-11-05 06:33 AM

does the xbox have zoom?
A-B repeat?
play jpegs?
play mpegs?
play cd-r?
can a universal remote be used/learned?
Yes
Yes
No, unless modded
No, unless modded
Varies. Some drives can only play certain CD-Rs, some can play all. Cd-RWs are usually consistant though.
Yes, but you'll still need the dvd adapter.

If you're looking to get an Xbox and mod it, might as well go for a used one from Gamestop or EBgames.

RudeBoie 02-11-05 11:28 AM

XBMC does not play DVD's yet. They're still developing that part of it.

Dave C 02-11-05 12:30 PM

I was really disappointed with the quality of the XBox as a DVD player.

I ended up hooking my cheap PS DVD player back up to my 17" LCD TV. I had to get a component switch to have the HD cable box/XBox/DVD player all hooked up through the component input on the TV but it was worth it.

kakihara1 02-11-05 01:20 PM

Man I know this has nothing to do with the ps2 or Xbox but I think you should go get a Philips DVP-642. I picked mine up as an extra player for $65 from best buy and it plays everything I throw at it Divx/Xvid included. :thumbsup: With the newest firmware from Philips you can also add external subs to Divx files if you want. I have been more than happy with mine.
http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/dvp642.html

BeanDip0001 02-13-05 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dave C
I was really disappointed with the quality of the XBox as a DVD player.

I ended up hooking my cheap PS DVD player back up to my 17" LCD TV. I had to get a component switch to have the HD cable box/XBox/DVD player all hooked up through the component input on the TV but it was worth it.

i thought it worked ok, the only problem is with an unmodded xbox is that the max it will display a dvd movie is 480i, if you mod it, the thing will do everything, plus you could store your most watched movies from your collection on it which would be kind of cool.

PinwiZ 02-13-05 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by RudeBoie
XBMC does not play DVD's yet. They're still developing that part of it.

Uh, yes it does.

JM 02-13-05 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by PinwiZ
Uh, yes it does.

I think he meant that XBMC does not support DVD playback with menu support. Currently, it will only play the raw .vob files. Again, we are talking about XBMC (Xbox Media Center) here, not the official MS Xbox DVD player software, which does support menus.