Interesting news about Revolution controller

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-30-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did a search and did not notice anyone posting about the below article on IGN
about the new Nintendo system's controller. In my opinion not a shock that they would be doing away with the directional pad, we all know how great the one on the Gamecube pad is. However, the big shock and very interseting to see what the controller will look like without and A or B button. Unless pictures leak, which they could, it looks like we will hopefully know more at E3.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/575/575714p1.html
Old 12-30-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible to copy & paste the article? I can't see it from work.
Old 12-30-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Possible to copy & paste the article? I can't see it from work.
Revolution Controller Breaks Tradition?
Japanese weekly reports next console controller does away with staple features.
By IGN Staff
December 23, 2004 - Earlier this week, the respected Japanese business magazine Shuukan Diamond reported in its 2005 Preview Edition that the Nintendo Revolution Controller will not feature a directional pad or A and B buttons.

If the news turns out to be true, Revolution would be the first Nintendo console to not feature a D-Pad and the A/B button combo. Nintendo has long said that it seeks to innovate with new control mechanisms, as evidenced by the inclusion of a touch screen on the Nintendo DS.
Given the focus of setting the A and B buttons on the GameCube controller apart from the now industry standard four-button layout, it will be interesting to see what new setup Nintendo is planning to bring to the table.

According to Shuukan Diamond, the wait will not be long. The magazine reports that Nintendo will debut GameCube's successor at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, May 2005.

None of the magazine's claims were substantiated by Nintendo, but given the publication's track record of accurate business reporting since 1913, we'd be surprised if Diamond's claims turned out to be false.

More soon.
Old 12-30-04, 09:45 AM
Retired

Can't wait to see what the controller is like. I'd like to see an analog stick and touch screen personally, as I really like the touch screen on the DS for things like aiming in FPS's. Anything that allows some new, innovative gameplay I'm all for as well.
Old 12-30-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Some things you just need the D-pad for. I wish they would include just for quicker scrolling through menus and such. I always find it slow to use the analog sticks for that.
Old 12-30-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Considering that nearly every controller feature on the other consoles was originally a Nintendo innovation, I trust they will come up with something really cool here.
Old 12-30-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Considering that nearly every controller feature on the other consoles was originally a Nintendo innovation, I trust they will come up with something really cool here.
Old 12-30-04, 12:42 PM
Retired

Bah, I never use a D-pad. It's only usefull in fighting games (and those are better with a Arcade Stick anyway) and 2D sidescrollers (which is a dead genre on home consoles) so I really don't see the need for it.
Old 12-30-04, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember Nintendo commenting on the current Gamecube controllers "Secret Feature" before it was released .... It ended up being the Z Buttons "Clicking" 2-stage trigger mechanism. Can't wait to find out what this will be...! There has been no real Controller "Upgrade" since Sonys Rumble Feature. "Hopefully" it will really be something.
Old 12-30-04, 01:06 PM
Retired

To be technical, Nintendo introduced the rumble with the Rumble Paks for the N64 controllers.
Old 12-30-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
What's the "secret feature" with the Z button? In all honesty, I hardly ever use that button...
Old 12-30-04, 01:49 PM

So are we gonna have C and D buttons instead of A and B? ;-)
Old 12-30-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
To be technical, Nintendo introduced the rumble with the Rumble Paks for the N64 controllers.
You beat me to it...
Old 12-30-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
What's the "secret feature" with the Z button? In all honesty, I hardly ever use that button...
You must not play games on Gamecube then huh?

Last edited by Outlaw; 12-30-04 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 02:18 PM
Retired

He meant the L and R buttons and it was that they are analog, and then click when you press them all the way down, thus they're really four buttons as one can program the click to be a seperate function from just pushing a little.
Old 12-30-04, 03:14 PM

We're gonna have a Revolution... yeah....
Old 12-30-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The picture of the controller has already leaked out.
All the reports have been correct.
There is no directional pad and no 'A' or 'B' buttons.

Apparently the controller is also a wireless unit.

Here is the latest picture:
Old 01-03-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I really hope this is just a rumor, or that they will change their minds before the system is released. The Tony Hawk games and 2-D fighters control so much better with it. Some games use it for important functions, like giving orders to your wingmen in the Rogue Squadron games. Even if the gameplay doesn't require it, like Spainlinx0 said it's better for navigating through game menus than an analog stick.

Then again, this could just mean that instead of the traditional cross-shaped pad, we could be getting something similar to the broken-up directional controls on Sony's controllers. I wouldn't like that as much as the traditional pad, but at least that would be much better than nothing at all.
Old 01-03-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I always look forward to Nintendo's new controllers. They are always lightyears ahead of everyone else as well as more ergonomic.

I won't miss the D-pad. Good riddance.
Old 01-03-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This sure sounds like the end of 2D to me; I hope that isn't the case.
Old 01-03-05, 10:12 AM

whatever it looks like, i hope it is more comfortable than the gamecube controller. that thing is just a pain to hold
Old 01-03-05, 04:40 PM

I'm always looking forward to Nintendo controllers as they are wonderfully designed, they are also the first one's to actually implement new innovations. i.e. the rumble pack (now standard on other systems), Analog stick (also now standard on other consoles). Now with the Gamecube they have implemented a wireless controller that works flawlessly. i'm interested to see what they have planned, though I would like a d-pad in case a new SF comes out. But to be honest, now that I think about it, I only use the D-pad on my gamecube in just a few games that use it like Metroid Prime 2. I don't use the d-pad at all on my PS2. But to be honest if the game is good enough I can deal with anything regardless of the controller.
Old 01-03-05, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I'm always looking forward to Nintendo controllers as they are wonderfully designed, they are also the first one's to actually implement new innovations. i.e. the rumble pack (now standard on other systems), Analog stick (also now standard on other consoles). Now with the Gamecube they have implemented a wireless controller that works flawlessly.
You can also add the placement of shoulder buttons on a controller to the list of innovations. However, I'm not 100% sure if Nintendo was the 1st to implement that (I think they were the 1st).
Old 01-03-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Yes they were the first to implement shoulder buttons. Virtually all controllers still utilize the same configuration of the original Famicon/NES controller. A directional device on the left and buttons on the right with navigational buttons in the middle.

For the next system I was hoping they would tweak the GCN controller as I love the feel of it. Just make the D controller larger and the C stick face pad larger and it would be perfect.

I personally would miss the D pad as I am particularly fond of it. I bought a Hori controller just because the D pad is easier to use.
Old 01-03-05, 08:58 PM

All I can think of is the ORB 3d Controller that was out for the PC about 6 years ago...which actually wasn't too shabby once you got the hang of it. HEck I think I got mine packaged with "Forsaken" for like $20, and ended up selling it in 2000 for like $60...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.