Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No More ESPN NFL 2K...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gp98
First, I know that there are preferences but Madden was the superior product when it comes down to sales. My guess is that the NFL saw this and knew that EA would pay a huge amount to make sure that that revenue continued (more than all the other licenses combined) so they offered exclusivity. So the NFL is making more money, no matter what EA does with it, because EA had been making obscene amounts of money off of an NFL product (in a sense) and the NFL wanted a bigger cut.
I'm not sure of what EA's contract entails nor what the previous contracts have entailed but I would think the NFL would make more money from 4-5 smaller contracts than from one big one. I am sure though that the NFL ran all the numbers to make sure they were getting the best deal. When it comes to business it's all about sales and not always quality so I'm sure that's what closed this deal.

Originally Posted by gp98
Your final point seems like you're using the "two wrongs make a right" strategy. Why push out a developer? Maybe strong arm EA by MS and Sony working together with demands but these are two companies that already voluntarily withdrew their challenges to EA's football reign. I think not that if either company didn't accept EA, it would be their death....(see Dreamcast).
Well I was touch irate and this is why you dont make big decisions while being hot headed. I was being a bit over-the-top but from the posts I've read it appears I'm not the only one because I'm sure I'll eventually buy a Madden game. I just would like for MS and Sony to step in and question what EA is doing. I doubt a "lockout" would destroy EA but the threat of one may cause them to reconsider their bullying tactics. A bully is only a bully until a bigger one steps in. Havent big companies faltered before though after they have signed exclusivity agreements, I think it has happened but I'm drawing a blank on the name of that company. There is an economic theory that shows that monopolies are not always bad(just our perception of them is so negative, my point on the price is derived from this theory) but in this market perfect competition is what should be occuring.

In what be a touch of foreshadowing, I remember when EA Sports got the rights to NASCAR everyone complained about their games being unrealistic compared to the Papyrus NASCAR games. Starting next year though, EA Sports will offer 2 versions of NASCAR games, a realistic one and the current more arcade-styled one. Hopefully, EA Sports is learning from some of their past acquirings and will make the appropriate adjustment for the NFL license now before a good developer ceases to exist.

If I remember correctly, when Sega opted to stop producing consoles, several companies including MS and EA made a strong push to acquire them and when Sega said it would continue independently, the companies turned their attention to acquiring what they really coveted (VC) which failed at that time. This was why I purchased an Xbox was because MS was believed to be the front runner and had just released 2 Sega games exclusively. What would be great is if this deal is just the appetizer to EA acquiring Visual Concepts and allowing them to continue to produce an NFL game and allow them to assume control of the franchises they are better with like the NBA. Imagine what a VC game would be like if they had the same funding as EA Sports.
Old 12-22-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
How did he play Madden 2005 if he didn't open it?
Over his other friend's houses (not my house). He wasnt crazy about it or 2K5 so decided to keep playing 2004 ,win more SuperBowls, then play 2005 later.
Old 04-07-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: No More ESPN NFL 2K...

Here's a good old thread bump.

From USAtoday:

Video game players who purchased copies of Madden NFL, NCAA Football or any other football title published by Electronic Arts may have discovered an interesting email in their inboxes.

The message details a class-action lawsuit against EA, according to court documents. The suit alleges EA overcharged customers and "foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market," reads the email, which can also be viewed on a website called EA Sports Litigation.

Plantiffs in the class action suit are eligible if they "purchased certain Electronic Arts brand football video games between January 1, 2005 and the present," says the statement.

The case -- Geoffrey Pecover and Andrew Owens vs. Electronic Arts, Inc. -- was filed at the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California in 2008. The lawsuit was recently certified, meaning it could retain class action status.

The suit claims Electronic Arts' exclusive deals with the NFL, NCAA and Arena Football League helped them create "a monopoly in the market for interactive football software."

An EA response filed in 2009 "affirmatively denies" violating any antitrust or unfair competition laws.

For several years, Electronic Arts' Madden NFL franchise competed against Take-Two Interactive and its NFL 2K series until the exclusivity deal was reached in 2004. The last game from Take-Two was NFL 2K5.
I received the email about this today. I know I've bought at least one Madden game in the last 6 six years.
Old 04-07-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I bought one I believe.
Old 04-07-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought 3 Maddens and 2 NCAA's in the past 6 years, i'm gonna be rich.
Old 04-07-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

But haven't other football games come out without the licenses (granted, I don't think any of them did that well, but hard to claim a monopoly if there were other games). Otherwise, I can see EA giving up the vast sums of money Arena football is making them to break the "monopoly."

I'm sure we'll all get $5 coupons off of full retail for Madden '15.
Old 04-07-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

I don't know why I got it, but here's the email I got in my inbox this morning:
To view this email as a web page, click here.
GEOFFREY PECOVER and ANDREW OWENS v. ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.
U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.)
Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW

If You Purchased Certain Electronic Arts Brand Football Video Games
Between January 1, 2005 to the Present
You May Be a Class Member.

Membership as a class member in the Electronic Arts Litigation is the result of a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Oakland Division (Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW).

What Is This Class Action About?
The class action lawsuit alleges violations of California's antitrust and consumer protection laws in connection with the sale of certain football video games. Plaintiffs, purchasers of Electronic Arts' football video games, claim that Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League (NFL), National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA), National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and Arena Football League (AFL), which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market. Plaintiffs allege that this series of exclusive licenses caused customers who purchased certain football video games to be overcharged.
Defendant Electronic Arts has denied any liability and all allegations of misconduct. The Court has not decided whether the Defendants did anything wrong, and this Notice is not an expression of any opinion by the Court about the merits of any of the claims or defenses asserted by any party to this litigation.

Who Are Class Members?
The Class includes all persons who, during the period January 1, 2005 to the present, purchased the Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football League brand video games published by Electronic Arts with a release date of January 1, 2005 to the present. Excluded from the class are purchasers of software for mobile devices, persons purchasing directly from Electronic Arts, persons purchasing used copies of the relevant football video games, and Electronic Arts' employees, officers, directors, legal representatives, and wholly or partly owned subsidiaries or affiliated companies.

What Should I Do? (Getting Further Information)
If you believe that you may be a class member (see above "Who Are Class Members"), you should get more detailed information about the class action and its potential effect on you and your rights. Further information can be obtained by going to the following website: www.easportslitigation.com. Additional information about the lawsuit may be obtained from Plaintiffs' Counsel website at www.hbsslaw.com, or by calling Plaintiffs' Counsel at 1-206-623-7292.

To Remain a Class Member
If you are a class member and you do nothing, you will be bound by the court's rulings in the lawsuit, including any final Settlement or Judgment.

To Exclude Yourself from the Class
(Deadline to Request Exclusion: June 25, 2011)
If you are a class member and you want to exclude yourself from the class and keep your right to sue Defendant, you must take further action before June 25, 2011. By that date, you must request exclusion in writing to this address:
Electronic Arts Litigation Exclusion
P.O. Box 8090
San Rafael CA 94912-8090

Or submit a request for exclusion electronically at the following website: www.easportslitigation.com

For further information about excluding yourself from the class go to the following website:
www.easportslitigation.com

Please do not telephone or address inquiries to the Court.
April 6, 2011. By Order of the U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.).
Old 04-07-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From the link in that email it looks like you don't have to do anything to stay in the class but if you want to opt out you have until June 25th. So if the suit goes though we should be getting a coupon in our email 5 years or so from now.
Old 04-07-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I got the email too. I've purchased a couple of NCAA games.
Old 04-07-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, now I'm even more confused, how were consumers overcharged? It's not like they raised the price of Madden after they bought the exclusive license...
Old 04-07-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, now I'm even more confused, how were consumers overcharged? It's not like they raised the price of Madden after they bought the exclusive license...
Guessing because 2K was pricing their games 10 bucks cheaper than EA, and EA pushed them out of the marketplace?
Old 04-07-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weren't the 2K games always cheaper than the Madden/EA series?
Old 04-07-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

IIRC, the last NFL 2K game came out at $20 and was very close in quality to Madden.
Old 04-07-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
IIRC, the last NFL 2K game came out at $20 and was very close in quality to Madden.
That was a last ditch effort to get sales, and I don't think it worked, even without the license being revoked. 2K doesn't price their NBA series lower than Live (admittedly, NBA 2K is much better anyway, and Elite got cancelled).
Old 04-07-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Very close? It trounced Madden in quality.
Old 04-07-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Very close? It trounced Madden in quality.
I really miss the 2K series, and I was a huge Madden fan boy since I played the originals on the Genesis, but 2K won me over. I have bought 2 Maddens since 2K went away, and cussed each one and will not buy another, especially now that they are doing the stupid online key.

Here is hoping this NFL mess this year ends the exclusive EA deal. But I know it will not and we will have the same old Madden as the only NFL game in the market.
Old 04-11-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think their argument is that Madden dropped it's price to match 2K5, then they got the license and jacked it back up to full price the next year.
Old 04-11-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I think their argument is that Madden dropped it's price to match 2K5, then they got the license and jacked it back up to full price the next year.
I don't quite remember what happened (as I was a 2K fan and wasn't buying Madden), but didn't they drop it to $30 (not matching the $20 that 2k was at) after it had already been out for a little while? They didn't price it at $30 right out of the gate, did they?

I just got the email this weekend too, so I guess I'm in for whatever coupon EA deigns to give me.
Old 02-24-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So EA's exclusive license ends after the 2012 season. Any chance we get a new 2K football or is this most likely to just get renewed? I know there was news that EA was not allowed to have an NCAA exclusive license.
Old 02-24-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Wasn't it renewed last time?
Old 02-25-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn I can't find anything about when their stupid deal actually expires. However it seems like we could get a competing college game, ,which holds absolutely no interest for me. Ugh will this horror show never end?
Old 02-25-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Goddamn it, bumping this thread got me all kinds of excited.
Old 02-25-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I heard its 2014 now.
Old 02-26-13, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

EA's exclusive license ends this year with the release of Madden 14 or "Madden 25" as it's being called now. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
Old 02-26-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it really won't matter. Any new studio is going to take a few years to catch up, but it would be nice to get any other kind of game. I still can't believe how much better the presentation was in that game than even the current Madden.