DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   A Suggestion For XBOX LIVE... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/399768-suggestion-xbox-live.html)

Giantrobo 12-08-04 11:51 PM

A Suggestion For XBOX LIVE...

I know that one of the main selling points for LIVE was being able to "trashtalk" to players around the World. Well, guess what Microsoft, that was a bad move. I mean it's tired, annoying, and makes LIVE a hellhole to play in... especially if you suck at games like me. :lol::(

So what's the new suggestion? I would like LIVE to set a new communication scheme. That being you <b>CANNOT</b> communicate with other LIVE players unless you're:

<b>A.</b> On the same team like in Star Wars: Battlefront, Ghost Recon type games, HALO 2 and other games with teams.
<b>B.</b> That person is on your buddy list OR you're in the same clan.

This way you won't have to deal with fucktards, screamers, racists, hip hoppers calling you "Niggah" every 5 minutes, and other bastards who make LIVE unpleasant. I mean there's really no other reason to talk to these people. Yeah, making friends on LIVE will become harder, but hey, if you want to do that just send them a "Friend Request" then you can talk to them. I'm to the point now where I'm starting to unplug my headset when playing HALO 2. The other day I heard a Canadian guy talking major shit about Americans and pissing players off and it made the whole game unpleasant. The day before that I heard 2 American guys pissing off a guy from London to the point of him quitting the game. The were making fun of his accent and words he was using. It was so embarrassing. They really made American players look bad.

My 2 cents....

dgc 12-09-04 12:01 AM

I feel your pain...

While it's annoying to have to do it all the time when playing public games, at least for most live games there is an option for you to manually mute any asshats you run into. Which is why I play mostly with people I know.

NitroJMS 12-09-04 12:03 AM

The only game I really play is SW: Battlefront. One day the game dropped me in with a group of younger teenagers who for some reason mocked my GamerTag (NitroWWF). Needless to say, I laid waste to my own team and left the game. ;)

I really wish MS would raise the age requirement to 18. Teens can be really obnoxious while trying to play online.

Giantrobo 12-09-04 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by dgc
I feel your pain...

While it's annoying to have to do it all the time when playing public games, at least for most live games there is an option for you to manually mute any asshats you run into. Which is why I play mostly with people I know.

True. But somedays it's real pain to mute every bastard who's being a dick.

outer-edge 12-09-04 02:43 AM

While I agree it can be annoying, I've often had a mature team of random strangers and we've talked strategy. If there were rules in place like needing to be on a clan or friends list, this would not be possible.

But man I am sick of wandering into the wrong game and finding a group of asshats, whether 10 or 100, who can't shut up. I've even seen a team chat turn into a full-on racial slur battle, but I guess I kind of expect some of this crap when playing online.

Gromit 12-09-04 06:54 AM

I'm also tired of the "singers". Karaoke isn't funny in a bar and it's not funny in Halo 2. Do these people not get enough attention from mommy at home, so they have to beg for it in an online game? It's like having to listen to a little kid constantly saying "mommy! watch me! watch me!".

Canis Firebrand 12-09-04 07:07 AM

I definetly agree that you should have to be 18 to get on live. But that really wouldn't work. All that would do is what it does now. Parents pay for account and use credit card, kiddies get online.
What I wish would happen is this. There would be 2 live servers. 21 and older, under 21. Possibly substituting 18 for 21. That wouldn't solve everything as there have been some older people that talk some smack and sound just as bad as the kids.

I still find it funny that for an M rated game, there are all these young players on. Nice way for parents to look at game ratings. And there are probably stores taht don't care about the M rating and sell to anyone that wants to buy.
But for parents, M means 17 and older. Just like an R rated movie.

I don't mind the trash talk while the game is being played, as long as its not obnoxious, racial, constatnt swearing. But when the game is over have the decency to be civil whether you won or lost.
I get tired of hearing when the other team wins "you guys suck, why do you play, etc." and then if they lose they make every excuse in the book.

I got in a game with a few DVDTalkers last night, minor clan match. We lost 50-13 in team slayer. But they were ranked 9 while we were 4. They constatnly told us how we sucked, etc. I fired back at them that its pretty easy to get that many kills when you are ranked higher, they always traveled in a full warthog and had the rocket launcher. It was a good strategy, but to make it sound like they did the impossible was a bit much. Its pretty hard to kill 3 people in a warthog on foot when you have the machine gun firing at you and they try to run you over. Not to mention that the 4th player on their team was nearby on foot and also firing at you.

finbogg 12-09-04 10:28 AM

Oh boy, do I ever feel your pain on this one. This is part of the reason I don't like the match-making, because you end up playing morons that you don't know. That and if you lose to them, there's no rematch so you can't get payback. They can talk $hit and run.

I fail to see the selling point in trash-talking, but maybe that's because I don't do it. I'm too afraid of talking big then getting beat. My favorite thing in the world is shutting-up little smack-talking bastards by whipping their asses.

I agree with having 21 and up servers....hell I'd like 30 and up servers since I've been in plenty of games with 22 year old asshats.

Splinter Cell is still one of my favorite XBOX LIVE games because I could team up with one buddy and the only time I'd even have to hear anyone else is in the lobby.

Joshic 12-09-04 12:58 PM

I was hoping that with Dead or Alive Ultimate, I'd get an experience similar to playing in an arcade. But it seems like the mutual respect and camaraderie in a real-life arcade setting is completely missing in the online arcade setting... people talking crap all the time, refusing to shut up, and generally being jerks. The first thing I do now when playing the game is mute every player's voice.

I like how Halo 2 forces you to press a button in order to talk, it helps cut down on the useless chatter.

Canis Firebrand 12-09-04 01:08 PM

Its not so much that Halo 2 forces you to press a button to talk.
Pressing the button will send your voice to your teammates.
If you talk normally, you get proximaty chatter to and from those close to you.

young 12-09-04 03:14 PM

it seems like everyone who posted in this thread agrees not to trash talk. why don't you guys add each other to the friends list and stop complaining about this.

yes, people are idiots and they're even worse on Live. find some people you like and good luck! :)

now, where's that dead horse smilie...

--
one other suggestion. try finding a league - some have rules against excessive trashtalking, spawn camping, etc.

tjr2mental 12-09-04 04:27 PM

Umm... we do play togeather. We have a clan that is just for dvdtalk people. THose who you see post in this thread are all in it for the most part. The problem starts when you try to play a team game that involves the clan. When that happnes you MUST play others.

Giantrobo 12-09-04 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by tjr2mental
Umm... we do play togeather. We have a clan that is just for dvdtalk people. THose who you see post in this thread are all in it for the most part. The problem starts when you try to play a team game that involves the clan. When that happnes you MUST play others.

Thank you. young, frankly you can't always play Clan members everytime you get on HALO 2. Often you end up playing the "general public". For instance, I like making custom games where everyone has the same weapons, but unless people in the clan are on or friends I'm fucked. I'm in a room just holding my dick and grenades all alone.

I guess for the time being I'll just unhook my headset....

young 12-10-04 08:17 AM

yeah, although the dvdtalk clan is nice, i'm actually in a league where we setup our own matches. we do use team skirmishes/big team match making for practice though. i have to say that 90% of the matches aren't actually too bad (if not downright pleasant). maybe i'm just lucky? yes, i do run into the occasional group that feels the need to be downright stoopid - but, frankly, i'm over that - just finish and then go play another team.

btw, the xblracing.com league has a Euro team (team ETA) of about 20 guys - very cool mature group. i feel for the brit that was hassled.

also try leaguegaming.com's halo2 league (no affiliation). check out their scoreboard system... :bow: they use a statspider on bungies stat pages.

edstein 12-10-04 01:02 PM

Unfortunately I have a brother-in-law on my friends list that is an 18 year old gamer asshole. He let's some of his loser friends play using his account and they are just as bad. I am going to send him a message to get his and his friends attitudes straightened out soon or I am taking him off my friends list. It's tough when it's a family member.

brianmclean 12-10-04 02:47 PM

IT is amazing to me how many people "enjoy smacktalking"

I admitt, that when I was in highschool and a bunch of my friends would come over to play videogames, we would all really enjoy smacktalking to each other...it was a male bonding thing....

I would never consider doing it to a stranger and I certainly wouldn't get enjoyment out of it.

I have hardly ever had any negative experiences on XBOX LIVE. You just have to find a good community.

Along with DVDtalk league, go to the website:

www.grownupgamers.com

This is a group of really great people (male and female) who all love gaming, do it a lot and have really great attitudes. You will be happy you did.

gr8fuldave 12-10-04 03:00 PM

This really hits home in Halo 2 more than any other game unfortunately. We were playing a clan practice (4 team members on each side) to practice strategy on CTF modes and such and a couple of strangers jumped in and started shit-talking. I told the one who was on my team to stop since everyone in the game was part of a clan and it was friendly. He then cussed me and team killed me. We quit the game and made it invite only (which is what we should have done to begin with) I don't talk smack when I play, what's the use, it's a video game for Godsakes. The clan I'm in has about 15 or so people, and we all play the game to have a good time. Most of us are on every single night for 2-3 hours and play as a group, and our ages range from 20-35, and no shit talking is allowed.

Toilet Remnant 12-10-04 03:02 PM

This is just like changing the television or radio station whenever you see something you don't approve of. Nobody is forcing you to listen to these people. There is a volume knob on the xbox live headset. Just turn them off. Or even mute them, I know some games allow you to mute individual players.

tjr2mental 12-11-04 12:21 AM

But if I turn down the volume knob, then I can not hear my team. Can you mute someone midgame in Halo2?

sdcrym 12-11-04 02:40 AM

Yeah, but it's a hassle. You pause, hit Y, move over to recent players, find the bastard, and then mute him. All while you're being shot at, no doubt.

Giantrobo 12-11-04 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by sdcrym
Yeah, but it's a hassle. You pause, hit Y, move over to recent players, find the bastard, and then mute him. All while you're being shot at, no doubt.

That's my point and why I started this thread. It's a pain to have to stop and mute. I know in other games when there's an asshole you have wait for everyone to vote the asshat off, maybe people vote maybe they don't or your character gets killed while your clicking over to vote him off! :mad:

Michael Corvin 12-11-04 09:23 AM

Easiest solution is to play late at night. Plain and simple. 10:30-11 pm. The kiddies are in bed and the only trash talkers are the teenage losers that think they are hot shit, cussing, and talking smack. Fortunately that is a small number and I only run into it once or twice a night.

Last night, I played a big clan match 1CTF on Coagulation(6 on 5, yeah we had the 5). Well 3 on my team marched in their base inlcuding me and we were taken out. One of their guys starts yelling "I'm a pimp, this is my hizzouse!, I'm a pimp!" So EVERY time they came in the base we yelled it back. Funny for such trash talk, and them having an extra guy, they never got the flag outside the base. Who's the pimp now, beotch?

And what's up with that? We were matched up a few times with odd numbers. Us always being short a man. BS if you ask me.

BizRodian 12-11-04 10:41 PM

With X-Box live can you guys set up your own servers and stuff?