Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Questions about the Japanese PSP

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about the Japanese PSP

I'm sure that this might of been answered before but I couldn't find it since can't search the forums on 3 letters. I'm thinking about buying a Japanese PSP since I'm getting a little anxious to get it. Will the buttons and info on the actual case be in Japanese or English? Also, is the power source the same in Japan as here in the US? Am I going to need adaptors for US usage? I also read that the Japanese version is region free, is that only for games or will that apply for movies too? Any downfalls I should know about buying a Japanese import of the PSP since I don't know a word of Japanese. Totally new at this import stuff.
Old 11-30-04, 02:34 PM

I can't speak for the PSP, but I have a Japanese PS2. Buttons and info on the system are in English (menus can be switched to English for the system, but most games are in Japanese), and the power source in Japan is within electrical tolerance to work fine in North America. The Japanese PS2 is NTSC Region 2 for both games and movies, but I suppose the PSP could be region free.
Old 11-30-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most hardware is pretty import-friendly.. software on the other hand.
Old 11-30-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because the PSP is designed to play movies it will likely not be region free. Thats my speculation though, don't know for sure.

In regards to actually getting one imported, goodluck!
Old 11-30-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 911 Likes on 672 Posts
The games will not have any region coding, but the movies released on the UMD discs will (this was officially released by Sony). The charger will work fine in the US. They use the same plug style and only have a 10 volt difference.
Old 11-30-04, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I saw the only place I can get one was on ebay at this point and I decided for $400, I can wait. I just placed a preorder for one at EB Games. Hope it comes out soon, too many rumors are saying fall now.
Old 11-30-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 911 Likes on 672 Posts
If you want to import one, www.playasia.com seems to have the cheapest prices. Last I heard, they were shooting for a March release in the US.
Old 11-30-04, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Playasia.com is no longer taking pre-orders for the PSP because of the limited release. Sony is only planning on shipping 200K units this year so most places are sold out. Hopefully I got my pre-order with them in soon enough. I received an email from them stating that they may not be able to fulfill all pre-orders and they will be shipping them on a first order/first serve basis.
Old 11-30-04, 05:35 PM
Banned

Re: Questions about the Japanese PSP

Originally posted by Cyberock
I'm sure that this might of been answered before but I couldn't find it since can't search the forums on 3 letters. I'm thinking about buying a Japanese PSP since I'm getting a little anxious to get it. Will the buttons and info on the actual case be in Japanese or English? Also, is the power source the same in Japan as here in the US? Am I going to need adaptors for US usage? I also read that the Japanese version is region free, is that only for games or will that apply for movies too? Any downfalls I should know about buying a Japanese import of the PSP since I don't know a word of Japanese. Totally new at this import stuff.
Let the expert take a crack at this.

If you haven't already pre ordered a PSP, don't expect to get one before 2005 unless you want to pay a premium. The physical device will be labeled in English. The menus with most likely be able to be switch to English, but that is not confirmed. The powersource requires no adapter for US. The system is region free for game only. Any UMD movies or UMD audio will be regionally coded. The only thing to watch out for is games that are heavy on the Japanese with no language choices.

Any more questions?
Old 11-30-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say, with so many questions it's probably better to just wait for the US release. Otherwise you will pay the price both literally, and in features if there are regional or language issues.
Old 12-04-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Japanese warranty will also not work here in the US... that's a chance you wouldn't want to take with Sony hardware.
Old 12-04-04, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by mmconhea
The Japanese warranty will also not work here in the US... that's a chance you wouldn't want to take with Sony hardware.
Heh. In all my years owning Sony products, which have been quite a few, I've never had any problems with them.

As far as the PSP goes, the site I ordered it from(Play-Asia.com) provide customers with a 6 month warranty on all merchandise purchased from them so I'm covered if something goes wrong.