Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

World of Warcraft game thread - 'official' dvdtalk server inside.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

World of Warcraft game thread - 'official' dvdtalk server inside.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neiname
I typically buy herbs from the AH when they are cheap so I almost never gather anymore. Does it make sense to drop and take up enchanting?
What are you hoping to do with enchanting? It is doubtful that you'll make more money with enchanting than you can make with herbalism. Leveling enchanting will cost you a lot, so the best money is just disenchanting and selling the mats. But again, there is a lot of money in some high level herbs.

Originally Posted by Setzer
If you play a Rogue and want to make some serious money, take Mining & Enchanting. I have a friend I play with who makes on an average of 70-80g p/day. He can stealth his way into Black Rock Depths and collect Dark Iron which sells on an avg. of 2g each. He stealths his way into most instances up to lvl 50, like Scarlet Monastery, Uldaman, ZF, etc and solos the end bosses.
While I can see doing Scarlet Monastery, I can't really imagine soloing end bosses in Uldaman and ZF with my rogue... 3 or 4 man stealth groups into Blackrock Depths or Lower Blackrock Spire are decent for shards though. Finally finished my Upper Blackrock Spire key doing those...
Old 08-02-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Ok, I finally broke down and bought WoW. It'll be my first MMORPG in a long time, so where do I sign my life away?

Any tips for a total newbie? What are the best classes, and such? Sorry if this has already been answered, but I didn't want to go through 47 pages of earlier posts

EDIT: I will be playing alot with a friend (he's a level 40 something, not sure which class, and he has a few alts) but I'll probably be soloing alot as well. So what are say the top 3 solo classes? Preferably one with a pet and/or that can heal.

Last edited by nickdawgy; 08-02-05 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top 3 solo classes are probably rogue, hunter - has a pet, and mage - can make food and water.
Old 08-02-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
The most fun (so far) for me is Rogue. I've played paladin to 60, warrior to 57 (one of these days I'll finish), Rogue is 41, Warlock is 30 (well, will be in a few minutes), Mage is 20, Druid is 14, others are all under 10 (I've tried them all).

Now that I played the rogue, everything else is too slow at least when I solo.
Old 08-02-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well if you're looking for a good solo class I would go with the Hunter, Rogue, Warrior or Paladin.

Hunters will get you the pet which will do the tanking for you so you can keep at a distance and shoot with bow/gun. You gotta make sure and keep your pet happy, which means feeding him, that way he does the most damage. Also make sure you keep your ammo bag stocked because you don't want to run out of bullets/arrows. If you pick the Hunter I would recommend going Dwarf because they have a +5 to gun skill and picking up Mining/Engineering as your professions because it will allow you to make your own guns and bullets. Sure Night Elves are good too because of their high agility and bonus to dodge but right now you can't get a profession to make your own bows and arrows. You could go NE and pick up the gun skill but you won't get the racial bonus to gun skill like the Dwarf gets.

Rogue's are nice because they can pretty much go anywhere with stealth and do the most damage of any class in the game. They can only wear leather but they evade really well so that helps make up for it. Rogues also get a really handy skill called Lock picking which allows them to open locked doors, chests, and small lock boxes you get randomly off of enemies. I would say out of these 4 classes the Rogue requires a little more patience and strategy to play because most of your dmg comes from moves you do while stealthed...the trick is, getting behind/in front of your opponent w/o being seen.

Paladins are hybrid tank/healer so you can heal yourself as well as others plus you get some nice buffs. The one really cool thing about the Paladin is they don't have to pay for their mount at lvl 40 which saves you from having to earn up 100g to buy one like most of the other classes and earning gold in WoW can be a bitch.

Warriors are your typical tank, they can do some serious damage as well as take it. They can use/wear mostly all weapons/armor in the game unless its class restricted. Beings this is your first MMO I would pick this class to get the feel for things. Playing the Warrior isn't all that complicated and you won't be overwhelmed, imo. Once you start getting the feel for the game I would start making some other characters and try them out.

Which server does your friend play on and are you going to be Horde or Alliance?
Old 08-03-05, 10:22 AM

I found that mage and rogue were the best soloing classes for me. They can drop things really quick. Your fights only last 10-15 seconds.
Old 08-03-05, 10:40 AM

Yeah, mages and rogue are the most durable, but they are also fragile. I know when i was leveling my rogue in the beginning any more than one mob and I was toast. Healing classes like druids or paladins, or even pet classes like hunters and warlocks are better suited to facing multiple mobs and surviving...
Old 08-03-05, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Mages are good at soloing just be prepared to do a lot of sitting and drinking.
Old 08-03-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I feel my shadow priest is pretty good at soloing. At lvl 39 and will be getting mount and shadowform at 40 to solo to 50 then become a healbot
Old 08-03-05, 12:33 PM

The shadow priest can definitely solo well. I think from levels 50-60 my priest could level as fast as my rogue. Unfortunately the first 20 levels really suck...
Old 08-03-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I chose a Tauren hunter since my friend was horde. He's on the PvP server, Firebrand or something like that, so I have to watch my back with other players trying to kill me. I have never played on a PvP server before.
Old 08-03-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I chose a Tauren hunter since my friend was horde. He's on the PvP server, Firebrand or something like that, so I have to watch my back with other players trying to kill me. I have never played on a PvP server before.
You don't normally have to worry about getting ganked till around level 20, even then it's not too prevailant as the opposite faction really doesn't hang out in the contested level 20 areas of that faction too much
Old 08-03-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Especially now that battlegrounds have come out there is hardly any ganking going on now, you missed the post honor system pre battlegrounds zerg fest at Tarren Mill. World Defense would always show Tarren Mill under attack, now I can't remember the last time it was. Although I have to say it was pretty fun at times for short periods of time.
Old 08-03-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I played for like 2 hours last night, did some quests, got my hunter to level 6. I am really liking the game. I like how they reward playing breaks by giving extra xp, that is a nice touch.
Old 08-03-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
congrats nick, now say goodbye to your life
Old 08-04-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not as tempting as EQ used to be. I would log on and stay on for hours at a time, not caring about work (well at the time I didn't have a job to care about, lol) or friends, basically.

I have been home from work for about 4 hours and haven't even logged on. Not saying I don't want to play, though. I will be logging on within the hour
Old 08-04-05, 09:30 AM

Only 30k more experience to lvl 40 and shadowform & mount
Old 08-04-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone have any good sites for early quests? Like before level 10 and such? Also, a nice person gave me a 2h sword but I am not sure where to train for it. I tried Thunderbluff but for some reason he only trained me for staves.
Old 08-04-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Anyone have any good sites for early quests? Like before level 10 and such? Also, a nice person gave me a 2h sword but I am not sure where to train for it. I tried Thunderbluff but for some reason he only trained me for staves.
thotbot and allakhazam are the only sites I use and need.
I don't know how I wouldve completed most of my quests without it.
Old 08-04-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can ask the weapons master in Thunder Bluff what the other weapons masters can teach you .
Old 08-05-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Man, lag was bad the last couple days on my server (dreanor). had to play an alt in Dolaanor just to not have lag. AH in IF wasnt working at all. This morning IF was flying, so maybe they fixed the problem (more likely just no one was on). I'm hoping to do my first Maraudon run tonight.
Old 08-05-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Lag's been bad at times for me too when i went to Stranglethorn Vale, on the Dragonblight server.
Old 08-06-05, 07:51 AM

I play on Dreanor also, and the lag has been horrid for the last four days for me. Some people are blaming it on the update, but I am not sure how that would effect the game in such a negitive way.
Old 08-06-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its the server transfers, my server is on the list of transfers too and with all the new people coming in lag has been noticeable.
Old 08-08-05, 09:48 AM

I'm torn, I just hit lvl 40 with my priest and have my mount but am torn between continuing leveling or spending some time PvPing in battlegrounds. The only issue with PvPing is I play alliance on my server and some nights will consistently get rocked by the Horde. We're talking 3-0's because we have everyone splitting up and 1 or 2 people at a time getting their flag (like lvl 32 mages) and most alliance people are not lvl 40 (mostly 32-38's). I understand that this may be one of the better times to PvP as I am at the top of the heap in terms of levels but it gets frustrating to get your ass handed to you on a consistent basis. How is PvP at levels 40+?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.