Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most sports games.
Old 11-21-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
I don't think any video game has ever had a satisfying ending.
I thought the ending to Super Mario Bros. 2 for the NES had an awsome ending. Blew mind 11 year old mind.
Old 11-21-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think most video game endings are rather poor.. or just uninteresting. This doesn't bother me though, as I'm playing games to play the games, not to see silly automated sequences play out.

However.. the ending to Klonoa: Door to Phantomile was just powerful and moving.
Old 11-22-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One exception (I think at least) was the original Starcraft - best ending.... ever.
Old 11-22-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Beyond Good & Evil. Not only was the final boss a total letdown, the ending said absolutely nothing. They even tried to pull a cliffhanger after the end credits with one of the supporting characters but it had no weight to it
Spoiler:
since we have no idea what truly became of the protagonist one way or another.
Great game but a terrible ending.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-22-04 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-22-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Spoiler:
At the end of the final level, which isn't very special in itself, you jump on a train to get away, then a 'The End" screen. No cut scene, no resolution, no nothing. I don't even recall being informed that it was the final mission beforehand.
Old 11-23-04, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
Beyond Good & Evil. Not only was the final boss a total letdown, the ending said absolutely nothing. They even tried to pull a cliffhanger after the end credits with one of the supporting characters but it had no weight to it
Spoiler:
since we have no idea what truly became of the protagonist one way or another.
Great game but a terrible ending.
I remember back when they were still previewing Beyond Good & Evil. The developers said it was going to be a trilogy of games. That is why the first game ended in a major cliffhanger. However, because the game sold so badly, parts 2 & 3 were cancelled. It really made me sad because I really wanted to find out what happened with Jade and Uncle Pey'j.
Old 11-24-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kgrogers1979
Pitfall never ended. Once you got to the last screen with the gold bar, it would cycle back to the first screen and start over. Just about all the old Atari games did that. That kept recycling over and over until you lost all your lives.
It ended. There were not only 32 total treasures to get, but you had 20 minutes to do it.
Old 11-24-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gideon68
Alien 3 for the Sega Genesis: "It is Done"
Old 11-26-04, 01:02 PM

The end of Doom 3 sucked, but so did most of the game. Half-Life 2 is a phenomenal game marred by an overly easy final battle and one of the most sudden end cutscenes I've ever seen. Haven't finished MGS3 yet, but the near final battle with The End is awesome.
Old 11-26-04, 11:09 PM

The thing with Halo 2's ending that bothers most people isn't the actual end cinema (which isn't anything special...), it's just that when you get there you're not expecting the game to end yet. It's kind of similar to what someone said earlier about Medal of Honor: AA; you won't really have any idea you were even on the last level until it's over.

I can't remember what old 8 or 16-bit game it was that when you beat it it just said "Congradulations." Typo intended...

The fight with "The End" in MGS3 is roughly halfway through the game. There's still a hell of a lot to be done. It is a pretty amazing boss fight, though. I don't think any action game has ever pulled off such a slow paced battle and kept it that engaging and intense.

Anyways, while on the subject of game endings & Metal Gear Solid 3, I must say that this is one game that doesn't disappoint in the end. The last 2 hours or so is just one amazing sequence after another. Seriously, it makes the Liquid Snake fights from the original Metal Gear Solid seem like filler in comparison. [*No spoilers in the following lines*] The actual ending scenes wrap up the game/series on such a perfect note; shining light on not only the Metal Gear series' past, but also where it could be heading... (and if you don't already know, make sure you catch the ending phone conversation after the credits. It's become a trademark of the series by now, but just wanted to remind you guys).
Old 11-27-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first Splinter Cell has a horrible ending.

Spoiler:
You shoot that Nikolai guy. Go down stairs, walk out the door and that's it.
Give me something here guys! Give me a "Luke I am your father" moment. Blow something up. Anything!!
Old 11-27-04, 10:08 PM

You people need to stop worrying about the destination and learn to enjoy the ride!
Old 11-28-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
The first Splinter Cell has a horrible ending.

Spoiler:
You shoot that Nikolai guy. Go down stairs, walk out the door and that's it.
Give me something here guys! Give me a "Luke I am your father" moment. Blow something up. Anything!!
I thought that ending was pretty cool. It's realistic in that you assasinate someone and you escape the place without anyone noticing you. I thought it was consistent with the entire game.
Old 11-28-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont know about the worse ending but the best is the one in Kung Fu for NES. That embrace had me in tears.
Old 11-28-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by matrixrok9
I thought that ending was pretty cool. It's realistic in that you assasinate someone and you escape the place without anyone noticing you. I thought it was consistent with the entire game.

I've always said that "realism" doesn't always equal "fun".

It just seemed like it was a very poor pay-off for all that sneaking around. People "walk out the door" every day, and that's not compelling or exciting in the least. I understand that it's not a Bond movie. But give me something that is going to give me a "WOW!" moment.
Old 11-28-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tamrok
You people need to stop worrying about the destination and learn to enjoy the ride!
But at the end of the ride you want to arrive at a destination that's worth the trip.
Old 11-28-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember it exactly, but I remember enjoying the last board/boss of Kingdom Hearts.

The first rpg I played to completion was FF VII and after being all "YES! FMV!!" (shut up, that was all new to me) I was let down by that ending. With the running Rex VII or whatever the dogs name was.
Old 11-29-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think that completing Super Mario Sunshine with all 120 shines deserves more than a single special screen.
Old 11-30-04, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I've always said that "realism" doesn't always equal "fun".

It just seemed like it was a very poor pay-off for all that sneaking around. People "walk out the door" every day, and that's not compelling or exciting in the least. I understand that it's not a Bond movie. But give me something that is going to give me a "WOW!" moment.
Having just finished Pandorra Tomorrow...I can say that it too has an abrupt ending that didn't thrill me. WOuld it have killed UbiSoft to put together a 2 minute ending scene?