DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Reports: Halo 2 retail date broken in Midwest (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/394418-reports-halo-2-retail-date-broken-midwest.html)

LuisL 11-05-04 04:51 AM

Reports: Halo 2 retail date broken in Midwest

Gamers from several Midwest states claim to have already bought Bungie's shooter sequel from stores.

Roughly a month before its November 9 release, a pirated version of Halo 2 began to be widely circulated around the Web. Now, it seems the game is once again falling into gamers' hands earlier than Microsoft and Bungie had planned.

Numerous reports surfaced today from the Midwest claiming several retail chains had broken Halo 2's street date. Several reports on the Gaming Age forums--which included photos of the limited edition of the game--said that several individual Meijer stores, a self-described "grocery and general merchandise retailer" that operates in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky, were selling the game early. Outlets in Toledo, Ohio, were mentioned specifically.

However, calls made by GameSpot to several Meijer outlets made it sound like the franchise was sticking to the deadline. "Halo 2? That doesn't go on sale until next week," was the typical response. Regardless, people have already gotten their hands on copies of Halo 2 from somewhere, because several "in-hand" copies of the game are already on sale on eBay, some with options for next-day shipping.

While unfortunate, especially given the logistics of shipping a game of Halo 2's scale--for which preorders are reportedly nearly 2 million--these sorts of leaks are increasingly common. And although it can be assured that Bungie and Microsoft are less than pleased gamers are pumping Covenant Brutes ahead of schedule, the two companies aren't letting on. The mantra "Microsoft doesn't comment on rumors or speculation." was once again uttered by reps for the company when queried by GameSpot about the retail date break.

For more information on Halo 2, be sure to read GameSpot's full review of the game when it goes live at 12:00pm PST on Sunday, November 7, which is two days before the game hits store shelves.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
POSTED: 11/04/04 03:14 PM PST
oh man this is crazy. well only 4 days to go for the rest of us.

zero 11-05-04 05:05 AM

hmm true or not, I think some people are about to get FIRED. We got a memo at work a few day ago reminding us that displaying, playing, taking home, or selling Halo 2 will result in instant termination. Needless to say we're all excited for this games release but not so excited we want to lose our jobs.

-zero

LuisL 11-05-04 05:21 AM

i agree i wouldn't risk it either. here's a pic from the same article, forgot to put it in last time:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen001.jpg

zero 11-05-04 05:24 AM

That alone wouldget me fired, whoever did that must not like having a job.

Trigger 11-05-04 06:01 AM

not to sound all threadcrappy - this comment is more about this article being news than anything else - but, does anyone really give a shit if a few people get this game a week early? I realize it's a high profile release, and I fully understand the concept of "I can't wait to play this" with regards to whatever game... but who is so anxious to play this game that a story about some kid in Ohio getting his copy of it early is somehow interesting? I mean, there's plenty of people who played this half a year ago. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm dissing the OP - I'm not trying to. Between this story, the french folk who got the hacked beta or whatever and the story about how if you get it early and play it online that your account would be killed, I'm just more anxious for the game to come out so this won't be newsworthy anymore than I am so I can play it. :)

And by the way - that case looks like ass - I'm sort of regretting buying the collectors version now. I'd rather have the standard green case than that.

LuisL 11-05-04 06:26 AM

i don't care that people got it, i'm very patient and can wait. i just think it's funny that people did get it.

kar10 11-05-04 08:20 AM

If that picture is from the limited edition than where does it hold the other disc?

I notice that there is a 2 month trial so does anyone know if I can add 2 more months to my current subcription?

goLUCKY 11-05-04 08:27 AM

Originally posted by kar10
If that picture is from the limited edition than where does it hold the other disc?

I notice that there is a 2 month trial so does anyone know if I can add 2 more months to my current subcription?

nope, you cannot add a two month trail to you subscription. You can only use it to start a new id.

Michael Corvin 11-05-04 09:15 AM

Originally posted by zero
That alone wouldget me fired, whoever did that must not like having a job.
teenagers don't give a damn. Jobs are a dime a dozen for them. Especially around Christmas. Plus it means they get a jump on the game before all his buddies so that he is at an advantage the first time they play multiplayer.

PrivatePixel 11-05-04 09:22 AM

My guess is the game disc is stacked on top of the bonus disc (a situation similar to the bonus Colin McRae Rally 04 disc that comes included with TOCA Race Driver 2, i.e. TOCA disc on top, CMR04 below on the same spindle. It was a pain to remove both discs; a better option would have been to use an Amaray Slim Double DVD Case - cheap bastards :thmbsdwn: )

The Franchise 11-05-04 09:59 AM

Riddle me this? Why would you pay$265 on ebay for a game that's going to be out next week? How stupid is that?

KingSmoth 11-05-04 09:59 AM

I believe the case has a flipper held on the right side for the second disc.

RVP 11-05-04 10:08 AM

Originally posted by The Franchise
Riddle me this? Why would you pay$265 on ebay for a game that's going to be out next week? How stupid is that?
And if was shipped priority on Thursday, it may not get to you till monday. So you would pay $200 extra to get it 12 hours early.

Is there also an exterior tin casing that holds a regular plastic case? I was under the impresion it was special tin packaging.

PrivatePixel 11-05-04 10:14 AM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
I believe the case has a flipper held on the right side for the second disc.
You may be right (somehow, I missed that :hscratch: )

menaz 11-05-04 12:39 PM

Originally posted by RVP

Is there also an exterior tin casing that holds a regular plastic case? I was under the impresion it was special tin packaging.

Nope, there sure isnt. The plastic case pictured above, is lined with sheets of tin. No cool tin box like I was expecting, I was pretty dissapointed with the whole deal :(/

zero 11-05-04 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
teenagers don't give a damn. Jobs are a dime a dozen for them. Especially around Christmas. Plus it means they get a jump on the game before all his buddies so that he is at an advantage the first time they play multiplayer.
Good thing Im not a teenager :p. And to clarify Trigger, someone cares and that's Bungie. I dont care that someone got their game early, and more power to them for taking advantage of an employee who didnt know better, but still it remains that people (teens or not) are going to lose their jobs and that kinda sucks doesnt it? To lose your job over Halo 2?

kar10 11-05-04 01:32 PM

Originally posted by PrivatePixel
You may be right (somehow, I missed that :hscratch: )
Where?

I don't see anything. The Halo 2 silver sheet is just a book. I hope that they don't stack them together.

KingSmoth 11-05-04 02:29 PM

Where?

I don't see anything. The Halo 2 silver sheet is just a book. I hope that they don't stack them together.

All Gamestops and EB's in my area have 500 of the cases sitting out empty on the shelves(have for a long time actually). Been a while since I checked one, but I'm certain it has a flipper.

DJ_Longfellow 11-05-04 02:32 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if the Meijer by me put them out????? :)

Keyser Soze 11-05-04 02:37 PM

I put up some in game videos I took at a pre-release event last night... go take a look if you want to see the multi-player game in action:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...49#post5510149

-k
###

Xbox69 11-05-04 03:25 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
All Gamestops and EB's in my area have 500 of the cases sitting out empty on the shelves(have for a long time actually). Been a while since I checked one, but I'm certain it has a flipper.
Those might just be the pre-release sample display cases. I've seen them at my GameStop as well. Look closely and it has printed on it: "Final cover art may vary from shown" . . . or something like that.

warcp 11-05-04 05:07 PM

A coworker just got a copy in the mail. Now I'm just trying to get him to leave his desk so I can steal it! It also came with a new Halo headset that looks pretty sturdy.

slop101 11-05-04 05:14 PM

I just picked it up at my local, independant video game store. I won't be able to play it 'till Saturday morning, though. It's supposed to rain - I love staying in on rainy Saturdays, playing good video games!

Corvin 11-05-04 09:02 PM

For what it's worth, a buddy dropped by the Meijer store in Rolling Meadows, IL to see if they had them out. The clerk said they had them, but he couldn't sell them. So it goes. YMMV.

Cedrock 11-05-04 11:40 PM

the modded one leaked a month ago and theyve all been playing halo 2 for a solid month by the time we all get the game, all of the videogame "pirates" will be halo gods.

LuisL 11-06-04 01:44 AM

Originally posted by menaz
Nope, there sure isnt. The plastic case pictured above, is lined with sheets of tin. No cool tin box like I was expecting, I was pretty dissapointed with the whole deal :(/
heh i coulda sworn they said TIN case.

guess we'll have to wait a few days, no biggie.

SuprVgeta 11-06-04 04:19 AM

Originally posted by The Franchise
I wonder if Bungie is going to go after the seller...

Get Me Coffee 11-06-04 06:03 AM

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
I wonder if Bungie is going to go after the seller...
??? WHY????

C'mon this guy could have won it at many places such as 7-11, or at Radio Stations. Both places are running contests and the winners walk away with a Halo2 NOW. I see nothing wrong with this auction! C'mon the guy wants some extra $$$ and if people are willing to pay 400% MORE, so WHAT! At least we know...me and you wouldn't! We value our dollar.

It's rather annoying when people bitch about people who auction off stuff on Ebay that make huge markup. Yes, it doesn't make sense that people spend all that money....but some people have the money!

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the auction. It's not like a bootleg :mad:

Michael Corvin 11-06-04 09:19 AM

no luck at 2 Meiers in Louisville KY. :(

sdcrym 11-06-04 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Cedrock
the modded one leaked a month ago and theyve all been playing halo 2 for a solid month by the time we all get the game, all of the videogame "pirates" will be halo gods.
I'm curious to see how this pans out. I don't know how the rest of the pirate population feels, but I know somebody who gets the bootleg games and doesn't want XBOX Live. He feels that XBConnect is just as good. Why would he pay for Live if he doesn't pay for games?

Also, the majority of people who have modded XBOXes probably face more difficulty getting on Live anyway.

The people we probably need to be most worried about are the people who play multiplayer at a friend's house who has the bootleg, but aren't the type to pirate themselves.

SuprVgeta 11-06-04 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
??? WHY????

C'mon this guy could have won it at many places such as 7-11, or at Radio Stations. Both places are running contests and the winners walk away with a Halo2 NOW. I see nothing wrong with this auction! C'mon the guy wants some extra $$$ and if people are willing to pay 400% MORE, so WHAT! At least we know...me and you wouldn't! We value our dollar.

It's rather annoying when people bitch about people who auction off stuff on Ebay that make huge markup. Yes, it doesn't make sense that people spend all that money....but some people have the money!

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the auction. It's not like a bootleg :mad:

Whoa, seems like a struck a nerve :lol: I was hardly "bitching" that this guy was selling in on ebay. I was just curious if Bungie is telling retailers you're in big trouble if you sell it, what would stop them from going after a single person selling the game before street date. Who knows where he got the game, it might just be some lacky at best buy who swiped a game early...

KingSmoth 11-07-04 02:39 AM

Originally posted by Xbox69
Those might just be the pre-release sample display cases. I've seen them at my GameStop as well. Look closely and it has printed on it: "Final cover art may vary from shown" . . . or something like that.
Looks like I may have been wrong, hehe. While in EB tonight I checked the sample case again, and it definitely has a stacked spindle, not a flipper.

sdcrym 11-07-04 09:52 AM

Well, once you receive the collector's edition of the game, the long-term storage location of the game disc becomes the XBOX anyway. :)

Get Me Coffee 11-07-04 04:03 PM

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
Whoa, seems like a struck a nerve :lol: I was hardly "bitching" that this guy was selling in on ebay. I was just curious if Bungie is telling retailers you're in big trouble if you sell it, what would stop them from going after a single person selling the game before street date. Who knows where he got the game, it might just be some lacky at best buy who swiped a game early...
struck a nerve :lol:

It wasn't directly this auction nor Halo2...Kinda started when people were bitch about the Star Wars DVD's on Ebay...then this came up.... Sorry if I sounded rude ;)