Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quirky Namco Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quirky Namco Games

This thread is for those of you who, like me, enjoy quirky games. Namco just released a new PS2 game called Katamari Damacy, and next month Taiko Drum Master is coming out. Here are the GameRankings pages for Katamari Damacy and Taiko Drum Master.

In Katamari Damacy, you control a character who rolls a ball around various environments. As you roll the ball over objects, they stick to the ball, increasing its size. The ball starts off small, and you can only pick up crumbs and thumbtacks and other tiny objects. At the end of each level, the ball is big enough to pick up trees and buildings and footbal stadiums. I know it sounds like a bizarre premise for a game, but the reviews seem very positive so far. Another good thing about the game is that it's selling for only $20, although it is supposedly a pretty short game. I should be picking up a copy tonight. I'll post some impressions tomorrow in case anyone is curious about the game.

Taiko Drum Master is the American name for the very popular Japanese game called Taiko no Tatsujin. It's another music-based game, and in this one you bang on a taiko drum in time to the music. I'm really glad that they decided to release this one here in the U.S. As with Donkey Konga (another unique Namco-developed game), the U.S. release will include a lot of American pop/rock songs, and much less in the way of traditional Japanese music.

So, anyone else here interested in these games, or any other upcoming niche titles?
Old 09-22-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nightmare of Druaga
Old 09-22-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
I didn't even realize Katamari Damacy was out already, much less that it was only 20 bucks...

There was that game that just came out for PS2, about being a dog. i thought that was pretty quirky.

EGM has a feature on quirky Japanese games that will probably never make it here. I remember an UNO game a few months back...
Old 09-22-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Nightmare of Druaga
For those who are curious, here's an IGN preview of the game : http://ps2.ign.com/articles/548/548487p1.html.

I'm not too familiar with this one, but it sounds interesting.
Old 09-22-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
There was that game that just came out for PS2, about being a dog. i thought that was pretty quirky.
I'm thinking that you're probably talking about Dog's Life. That one looks like it could be fun. I'd like to rent it, but the problem with these quirky/niche titles is that a lot of stores and rental places don't carry them. At least, that was my experience with Lifeline, the adventure game where you use a microphone to give your character vocal commands instead of using a controller. Couldn't find it at Blockbuster or the local mom-and-pop rental place.
Old 09-22-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh well, no Katamari for me tonight - Gamestop says that it was supposed to come in today, but it didn't. Now they say it'll be in tomorrow.