Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My initial thoughts of "Def Jam: Fight for NY"

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 07:56 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My initial thoughts of "Def Jam: Fight for NY"

I picked the game up yesterday....this is the first fighting game I have purchased in a long time. I have been reading about the game in magazines for sometime now and it looked pretty interesting.

I started playing at about 10pm last night and didn't quit till 2:30am...and the only reason I quit was because my wife got up and fussed at me. The game is alot of fun...here are my initial thoughts on different aspects of the game. These views could change since I have only had the game for a day...but It might help someone who is "on the fence"about buying the game.

Graphics 10/10 --- Whoa the graphics in this game are fantastic. The player models are very life-like and the venues are very detailed. I was blown away with how the game looked.

Sound 9/10 --- Has alot of good fighting sound effects...you really feel like you are beating the crap out of someone. Also has alot of cool hip-hop music---I almost freaked when I heard "Mama Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J -- that song is the s***!!

Control 7.5/10 --- The controls were tough for me (still are)...I wish I could change some of the buttons around. I keep hitting the wrong button---For instance I keep hitting X(grapple) when I want to punch(Triangle)...that may just be a personal problem with me. L1 is the button you use when you want to perform a strong attack...let me just say it is very awkward and difficult to use that button in these matches which are very fast. However once I get more used to the controls...my rating might change---I doubt it though.

Create-A-Fighter 8.0/10 --- This feature is tied in with the Story Mode. If you are hoping for a create a wrestler as detailed as the Gamecube WWE games... you will probably be disappointed. However this CAF works well with this game. There is not a great deal of physique changes you can make but there are enough to keep you satisfied. The real fun comes later when you start making money then you can buy new clothes, hats, bling-bling , tattoos, hair-cuts etc.... The clothes and accessories you can put on the fighter are awesome and they look awesome on. Some CAWs on other games have alot of clothes and stuff...but they don't look as slick on as they do on this game. You can constantly change you fighters look by buying new stuff, you can change his clothes whenever you want. Cool.

Gameplay 9.5/10 --- The environments that I have played so far are very interactive...you can throw fighters against the wall, slam heads against stuff etc.... The crowd will grab and hold you opponent for you to pummel or they might just beat him up themselves. The gameplay just has an overall good "feel" to it...if you can understand that. You really feel like you are beating the crap out of someone or getting the crap beat out of you.

Bottomline --- Unless you hate the fighting genre you will like this game. It is alot of fun and it has one of those very "Cool" vibes to it. I hope this helps you a little in your purchasing decision.

PS: I don't comment on instruction manuals much....but this game has got one of the worst manuals I have ever seen. It is only like 5 or 6 pages long---and it doesn't show you how to do anything!!! You will learn most of this game on your own. I am going to go to Gamefaqs.com to try to get a guide or something. This may be why I am having such a problem with the controls...who knows.

Thanks for listening!!

wlj

Last edited by wlj; 09-22-04 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-22-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this like the old No mercy controls?
Old 09-22-04, 08:09 AM
wlj

It is a hybrid. Half Yes, Half No. The controls are difficult to master.

wlj
Old 09-22-04, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the write-up
Old 09-22-04, 09:54 AM
wlj

You are welcome. I hope that it helps someone in deciding if they want the game or not. I ain't rich so I read alot about a game before I get it.

wlj
Old 09-22-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I've been waiting for a decent fighting/scrolling game since Streets of Rage. Thanks for the review
Old 09-22-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tofu
Cool. I've been waiting for a decent fighting/scrolling game since Streets of Rage. Thanks for the review
More of a wrestling game than a scrolling fighter I think.
Old 09-22-04, 02:15 PM
wlj

It's more like a very souped up version of "Pit Fighter"

wlj
Old 09-22-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I purchased it yesterday and am 74% done withe it now. I'd not purchased or played the last one, and had reservations due to the "Def Jam" license, but due to the overwhelming love of the fighting system, I bought the X-Box version of FFNY.

I'll break it down as wlj did, since my opinoin differs slightly .

Graphics: Eh was my first impression. They aren't spectacular, but they don't look crummy and jaggie, either. The only gripe I have with them is that the framerate noticably drops in some venues.

Sound: I generally can't stand hip hop or rap, but I find it tolerable while playing. The crunching sounds are pretty good, and having never bashed someones head against a fence or whatnot, I can't comment on the realism.

Control: At first I was having trouble, but not because the contols are complicated. The manual tells you what each button does, and that's literally it (it also describes the screen you play, but nothing helpful). I tried to figure it all out on my own, but ended up going online and finding a control guide to learn how to do submissions and such.

Once I had actual documentation of how to play, the controls are a breeze. Combos are a breeze to chain, and doing the "Blazin" specials requre you to just move the right thumbstick in the direction you have assigned the specific special to.

One thing to remember is that you can get rid of your opponent's health all you want, but you won't beat them unless you "KO" them. This is done by beating on them until their health is flashing "danger" red, then doing any of the following:

1) Do a Blazin special on them.
2) Hit them with a weapon from the crowd.
3) Do a "crowd combo".
4) Do one of the "envoronment" moves (like bashing their head into a pillar).

CAF: Eh, the looks are very limited. Lots of clothes and "bling" to purchase as you progress through the game, though.

Gameplay: the reason I purchased the game. Had this been "Bubsy Fighter X" with the same gameplay, I'd still like it. The moves and controls are crisp and easy once you find out how to actually play. The ability to learn three fighting styles adds much more to how you play than I originally thought. A few people have tried to classify the game, and I'd have to say it's a fighter with wrestling abilities, if you choose to take that style.
Old 09-22-04, 09:11 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm gonna rent it first and then maybe buy

but it looks pretty damm good

what about the chicks in the game ?
Old 09-22-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Original Desmond
what about the chicks in the game ?
You get your first "girlfriend" a few fights in. You choose from four in the bar, and have to fight their boyfriend to take the one you choose. I lost that fight since it was before I checked out how to actually play. When you lose, you are stuck with a "skanky ho" whose name I think was Shaniqua.

Later in the game, Carmen Electra takes an interest in you, and you can choose to make her your girlfriend or not. She and your current girlfriend will fight (you control the one you want to be with), and the winner gets you.

As an aside, I just beat the game. The only fights I had any trouble with were the pure wrestler/submission fighters. they just block and block and then grab you for pretty high damaging moves. After you beat it, you keep fighting in tournaments and such for more cash and points to continue building your character.
Old 09-23-04, 01:28 AM

cartman mate, you must be a hardcore gamer with serious skills

i can never beat a game in a day, i don't play enough to be that good at games
Old 09-23-04, 07:23 AM
wlj

Last night when I played I was alot better...I have learned the controls and mechanics of the fights alot more and I had more fun last night than the first night. The game is fun as hell.

wlj
Old 09-24-04, 12:50 PM
wlj

Everytime I play this game I like it more than before. I have gotten very accustomed to the controls which makes the game even more fun.

Go. Buy. This. Game.

wlj
Old 09-25-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am also loving every second of this game. My only gripe, and it seems that I'm not alone here, is with the control. It does take a bit of getting used to, and I hated that the manual told you almost nothing about how to actually fight!

Probably the greatest aspect of this game, to me at least, is the fact that it's not terribly easy to win matches. Seeing as it was an EA game, I figured the game could be beaten in about 3 hours or so, and was I ever wrong. I'm about 2.5 hours in, and it doesn't look like it's gonna be over anytime soon. I just hope there is replayability after the game has been completed; after all, there is multiplayer, but no online multiplayer which is what I personally was hoping for. However, for a game this great it's a worthy tradeoff.
Old 09-25-04, 03:10 PM

This game sorta reminds me of Thrill Kill.
Old 09-25-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is great game so far! I am stuck on the Ice T fight (Boss 1?). How the heck do you counter a grapple?? I reach for them and they slap my hands away and end up grabbing me! :-)

Whoever mentioned the poor manual couldn't be more dead on!

Sam
Old 09-25-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
how is this game compared to the first one. I thought the first game was really fun to play, but a little on the easy side.

are there more characters in this one?
Old 09-25-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are somewhere in the vicinity of 50+ characters in the game, asianxcore.
Old 09-25-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This game is definitely more difficult than the first, although I remember a couple boss fights in the first being pretty tough, especially DMX and D-mob. But even the average guys in DJ FFNY can be pretty tough. I'm about 24% through the story so far, and definitely enjoying it.

Put in another vote for a terrible manual, you kind of learn as you go or find out something from your trainer that would have been useful ten matches ago. I kind of miss the controls from the first, this one controls a bit different but not too big of deal.

Also one thing that really frustrates me is that "A" (GCN) is the button to grapple and to pick up a weapon, it seems every time I want to grapple I pick up the weapon, and every time I try and pick up a weapon I grapple. Anyone know how to fix that?
Old 09-25-04, 08:53 PM

i almost beat Ice T!

i had him on the ropes but couldn't finish him

still finding it hard to execute my blazzin moves

What style did you guys choose to start with ?

I am using Submission wrestling

I think you need to start with either wrestling or submission wrestling, i tried kickboxing, it's useless, you can kick and punch just as well as a wrestler as you can as a kickboxer
Old 09-26-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started with Kickboxing, then gained Martial Arts, then Submission. I'm really surprised at how difficult a lot of people are saying the game is. Heck, I had about half life left my first fight with Ice-T! And no, I didn't play on easy, if you were wondering .

Also, be sure to "level" your character wisely. The stats screen shows "target" stats to get for each part to maximize your particular styles damage. Don't worry about buying lots of Blazin moves. Instead get stat points. By the end, I was maxed out on quite a few, including speed, which helps you a LOT later in the game.
Old 09-26-04, 11:01 AM

[I think you need to start with either wrestling or submission wrestling, i tried kickboxing, it's useless, you can kick and punch just as well as a wrestler as you can as a kickboxer [/B][/QUOTE]

No not really. If you had Ice-T on the ropes all you would have had to do is hit him with a heavy punch. KO. (for strikers) I read somewhere that Submission is the most difficult to win with. All you have to do for blaze moves is grab with the light grapple and then flick your right stick. Strikers seem to be the easiest to get KO's with though.

I am really loving this game, both single player and multi-player are a blast.

Just a heads up: No Widescreen-No Xbox Live.

Last edited by Ginsu; 09-26-04 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-03-04, 05:28 AM

i can see what some are saying now with the computer cheating

I've had opponents down to almost dead, not much life left and i've got heaps, then they start countering everything and i don't get a look in until the KO me !

bloody annoying
Old 10-03-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I thougt the game was rather easy....I beat story mode in about 7 hours or so I bet. I think I will trade or sell the game......not much replayability in it, especially with MKeception coming out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.