Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What TV/MOVIE/OTHER Licenses would u like to see Videogames of ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 09:48 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a paragraph from a preview of the Fight Club game

"Usually videogames based on official movie licenses are released in close proximity to the theatre debut. Strangely, Fight Club for the Xbox is being released some five years after the movie first wowed viewers with its gritty fighting sequences and clever script. The delay has something to do with VU’s direct ties with a major film studio, meaning, it is still beneficial for Universal to promote a movie via a videogame to increase residual sales (DVD’s, Soundtrack CD’s, Tyler Durden blow up dolls, etc.). Vivendi Universal’s recent merger with NBC will undoubtedly increase the number of officially licensed game we see since we are now talking about billions of dollars worth of movie and television licenses. I wouldn’t be surprised if a Friends game is already in the works (and we have just witnessed a few of the Six Degrees of Jennifer Aniston…). "

Now we all know that a license does not make a game and often games built around licenses often fall short of expectations because of the need to release the game on a certain date. Also the companies know the license will help sell the game so maybe they don't put quite as much effort into the game as they could.

But if a game is good then you have to admit the license does help add a touch of excitement to the game if you are a fan of the licensed product.

So assuming the game will be good, which license(s) would you like to see a videogame made of ?

I'd love to see a really good Bruce Lee game which is an action adventure where you have to go through the scenarios from all of Bruce's movies and fight same or similar people Bruce fought in the movies. So Chuck Norris, Bob Wall, Kareen Adbul Jabbar, Dan Inosanto etc etc that would rock

I'd also like to see a really good Thundercats and/or He Man game
Old 09-01-04, 10:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always wanted to have a survival horror game, like Resident Evil, where there are several stages modeled after modern horror classics. Exploring Crystal Lake from Friday the 13th, the farmhouse from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Haddonfield from Halloween, the nightmare house of Elm Street, the mortuary from Phantasm, etc., all the while being chased by each franchise's respective villain with the correct theme music for each area.

Of course, even if they did make this game I'm sure the developer would f it up and decide they needed to add extra small bad guys like zombies, bats, etc., a la the NES versions of Friday the 13th and Elm Street.
Old 09-03-04, 01:48 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great idea mate, anyone else ?
Old 09-03-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seinfeld: A Game about nothing.

J/K, but seriously, a GOOD Superman game.
Old 09-03-04, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Licensed games typically suffer because all the money spent on attaining a license is money that isn't spent on making the game cool. Riddick is certainly an exception to that rule.

XXX seemed to have been created with a video game in mind with all the cool stuff he gets to do. Not that it was a good movie, but it would make a decent game with lots of variety in missions. Apart from that, I'd just like to see developers create good games not based on some show or movie. Unless it's a game about Good Times and you play as JJ Walker... your mega-blast power is saying Dy-no-mite!
Old 09-03-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DRG
I've always wanted to have a survival horror game, like Resident Evil, where there are several stages modeled after modern horror classics. Exploring Crystal Lake from Friday the 13th, the farmhouse from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Haddonfield from Halloween, the nightmare house of Elm Street, the mortuary from Phantasm, etc., all the while being chased by each franchise's respective villain with the correct theme music for each area.

Of course, even if they did make this game I'm sure the developer would f it up and decide they needed to add extra small bad guys like zombies, bats, etc., a la the NES versions of Friday the 13th and Elm Street.
If that was possible I would def check it out. Sounds nice.
Old 09-03-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger
Licensed games typically suffer because all the money spent on attaining a license is money that isn't spent on making the game cool. Riddick is certainly an exception to that rule.
Agreed. On top of the money thing, less resource is put into the making the game good simply because people (and I use the term loosely) will buy the game based on the name only. It's certainly the only reason garbage like Fight Club is created, and how a game (and I use the term loosely) as terribly rancid as Enter the Matrix sold trillions. But, even if I put that aside, I can't think of any movies I'd like to see as games. The movies I like just wouldn't work as a video game. Requiem for a Dream? American Beauty?
Old 09-03-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
How about ET? You could wander around, find parts to build your "phone" with, fall in holes. It would ROCK!

Seriously, I think the one recent movie that could conceivably have been turned into an awesome game is Gladiator. With it's combination of large scale battles, training, escape and arena fighting, it could have ended up being a really cool game.
Old 09-03-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Passion 2: the Return
Old 09-03-04, 11:22 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Kind of OT:

Back in the day LJN was the king of the licensed game... they took a hack at Jason (NES) and Freddy (SNES). The games were very bad. Not to mention they also did games based on the following:

Alien 3 - Nintendo Entertainment System
Alien 3 - GameBoy
Back to the Future - Nintendo Entertainment System
Back to the Future II & III - Nintendo Entertainment System
Back to the Future Part III - Genesis
Beetlejuice - Nintendo Entertainment System
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - GameBoy
Friday the 13th - Nintendo Entertainment System
Gotcha! - Nintendo Entertainment System
Major League Baseball - Nintendo Entertainment System
Maximum Carnage: SpiderMan/Venom - Super Nintendo
NBA All-Star Challenge - GameBoy
NBA All-Star Challenge 2 - GameBoy
Pictionary: The Game of Video Quick Draw - Nintendo Entertainment System
Punisher - Nintendo Entertainment System
Roger Clemen's Baseball - Super Nintendo
Roger Clemen's Baseball - Nintendo Entertainment System
Roger Clemens MVP Baseball - GameBoy
Spider-Man and the X-men - Super Nintendo
Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcades Revenge - GameBoy
Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six - Nintendo Entertainment System
Spirit of Speed 1937 - Dreamcast
Terminator 2 - Nintendo Entertainment System
The Karate Kid - Nintendo Entertainment System
Town & Country - Nintendo Entertainment System
Town & Country 2 - Nintendo Entertainment System
True Lies - GameBoy
True Lies - Super Nintendo
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Nintendo Entertainment System
Wolverine - Super Nintendo
WWF King of Ring - Nintendo Entertainment System
WWF Raw - Super Nintendo
WWF Royal Rumble - Super Nintendo
WWF Super WrestleMania - Super Nintendo
WWF WrestleMania Challenge - Nintendo Entertainment System
WWF WrestleMania Steel Cage Challenge - Nintendo Entertainment System
WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game - Genesis
WWF: King of the Ring - GameBoy
WWF: Superstars 2 - GameBoy
X-Men - Nintendo Entertainment System

There have been few successful games that have come from a license. I wouldn't wish that on any game company.
Old 09-04-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to see a PC first person version of Red Dawn.
Old 09-05-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 09-05-04, 09:51 PM

Bill and Ted

Oh man, Bill and Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure? Now that was the hardest game of all time. Don't believe me? See if you can beat the first level. I would spend an hour just wandering around trying to find the historical figure (I actually managed to find the historical bait, usually by accident).

Did anyone ever figure out how to do this?