DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Playstation 3 to use Blu-Ray media (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/378503-playstation-3-use-blu-ray-media.html)

The Franchise 08-04-04 11:09 PM

Playstation 3 to use Blu-Ray media

Story at gamerfeed (text pasted below)

The next PlayStation will use Sony's Blu-ray format, which can hold over five times that of a standard DVD.

A recent Forbes report seems to confirm the long-standing rumor that the PlayStation 3 will utilize Blu-ray technology.

The article states "Sony officials said the company will equip an upcoming version of the PlayStation2 video console with a Blu-ray Disc player," with the next sentence reading "Sony plans to announce the outline of the next version of PlayStation2 by March 31, 2005, they said." Given the manner in which Forbes refers to the PlayStation 3 as "the next version of PlayStation2" in the second statement, it is assumed that they are also referring to the PS3 in the first.

Through the use of blue lasers, Blu-ray Discs provide up to 23 GigaBytes of storage on a medium that is no physically larger than a DVD or CD. Thus far, 13 firms have agreed to begin manufacturing Blu-ray Disc video players by the end of the fiscal year 2005.

Also at IGN

Groucho 08-04-04 11:10 PM

Pretty cool. That means even more long-ass cutscenes!

TheMadMonk 08-04-04 11:14 PM

Gee, and here I thought that Sony was going to use that other format that they are competing with.

shaun3000 08-05-04 12:15 AM

THat's great cuz, you know, so many PS2 games are using DVD's full capacity. Except, oh, wait...

trigun 08-05-04 12:16 AM

I'm shocked!

darkside 08-05-04 12:52 AM

Sony using proprietary technology in one of their electronic devices?

Unbelievable.

I'm pumped up for Metal Gear Solid 4 with 50 hours of cut scenes and 5 hours of game play. Just hope I can finish the game before I start getting disc read errors.

Get Me Coffee 08-05-04 09:07 AM

Please sony change your controller design!!!! PLEEEEASE!

mvc 08-05-04 09:22 AM

After the reports of PS3 dev kits melting, I wonder how Sony is going to address overheating. Its been a problem in all their consoles, especially the first batches.

The Franchise 08-05-04 09:22 AM

Actually it'll be pretty cool if they low-ball the price just to get Blu-Ray out to the masses to beat out HD-DVD. IT'd be nice to have a console with a Hi-Def DVD player for $300. Might have to break down and get that 50" DLP after all.

They better make the thing backward compatible and not have to use those cartridges for Blu-Ray discs. So much for buying games online and downloading them I guess.

joshd2012 08-05-04 10:10 AM

Originally posted by mvc
After the reports of PS3 dev kits melting, I wonder how Sony is going to address overheating. Its been a problem in all their consoles, especially the first batches.
False reports.

Anyway, I think it is great. Soundtracks with hundreds of full music tracks. Racing games with skins for every car ever made. Variety will increase greatly.

jeffdsmith 08-05-04 08:24 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012
Anyway, I think it is great. Soundtracks with hundreds of full music tracks. Racing games with skins for every car ever made. Variety will increase greatly.
???

Those things cost money to buy and develop. Just because the space is there does not mean that developers are now going include more content. The vast majority of games now don't use the full disc, why arn't we getting all these skins and soundtracks on these discs today?

Sony is using Blu-Ray in the PS3 in attempt to make it the new standard in optical media. That's all.

If you truely believe Sony is using it to offer more game content please offer an explaination of why the idea of larger discs goes against Sony's own previous business plans of having games downloaded over the internet that they were touting.

Get Me Coffee 08-05-04 09:05 PM

Originally posted by jeffdsmith

Sony is using Blu-Ray in the PS3 in attempt to make it the new standard in optical media. That's all.

:up: Couldn't agree with you more! All Sony wants to do is get a foot hold of the Next Gen Movie discs! Those evil bastards! Support HD-DVD!

PixyJunket 08-05-04 10:13 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012
Are you high? That stuff is readily available with the current storage media. Project Gotham Racing 2 has a million songs, GTA:VC has enough to choke a donkey and those are on SINGLE LAYER DISCS. GTA:Thuganomics is going to be Dual Layer, so I expect it to have every rap song ever made on it. Furthermore, they could've made a game on a regular CD that had "skins" for every car in the world, it just takes time and money to develop.

zero 08-05-04 11:31 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Are you high? That stuff is readily available with the current storage media. Project Gotham Racing 2 has a million songs, GTA:VC has enough to choke a donkey and those are on SINGLE LAYER DISCS. GTA:Thuganomics is going to be Dual Layer, so I expect it to have every rap song ever made on it. Furthermore, they could've made a game on a regular CD that had "skins" for every car in the world, it just takes time and money to develop.
:lol: GTA: Thuganomics

The Franchise 08-06-04 10:52 AM

To use an SAT analogy:
Sony is to Blu-Ray as Microsoft is to HD-DVD

So pick you poison I guess. MS would be foolish not to incorporate HD-DVD into the next XBOX.
One nice thing about this more compressd media is that it generally makes loading times faster. PS2 DVD games load way faster than PS2 CD games.

joshd2012 08-06-04 11:04 AM

Wow, you guys are pretty slow.

Do you actually think that the next generation of media will use existing encoding technology? While MPEG-2 may remain the standard, audio encoding will increase in bit rate dramatically. Using something like DTS 96/24 can reach bit rates up to 4.5 Mbps. Calculate that out, and you are look at 135 MB for a 4 minute song. Add the minimum 20 songs, and you have already spent close to 3 Gigs just on a sound track.

Yes, Blu-Ray will allow more variety as technology increases. And its not just Sony's product. Did you expect they would use HD-DVD when they already pumped so much money into Blu-Ray? Of course not. But why would they spend the extra money unless it was useful? Sure, it will help them distribute Blu-Ray as the next generation of media, but its not all about moving Blu-Ray units. Sony has a lot of proprietary technology that didn't get put in PS2, that could have easily been added to push the format.

milo bloom 08-08-04 04:04 PM

Will the PS3 continue the backwards compatible concept?

joshd2012 08-08-04 06:50 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Will the PS3 continue the backwards compatible concept?
Yes.

Groucho 08-08-04 07:01 PM

BREAKING NEWS:

Nintendo to use a cassette drive in their next console, provided by a former rival!

http://www.digidome.nl/images/Atari1010_1.jpg

Gallant Pig 08-08-04 10:19 PM

Nice. :lol: