Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's go Classic ! your Favourite Pre 1990 Arcade game ?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-01-04, 08:11 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i'm having great fun playing many of the classic arcade games through mame

i completed Double Dragon again, boy i spent a lot of money on it back then

what's your favourite pre 1990 arcade game ?

i actually miss all these games where you can get into and play instantly and don't need 10 buttons and 3 joysticks to play, just one joystick and 2 buttons
Old 08-01-04, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always liked to play Paperboy, for some reason I loved playing that game when I was growing up. Also enjoyed Spy Hunter. Midway made my year last year with their release of the Arcade Tresures. I felt like I was back in 80's.

I just remember another I liked Zoo Keeper.

Last edited by 1998Nole; 08-01-04 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-01-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember playing "Tempest" a whole lot

When was that? 1982-83? Man, I'm old...
Old 08-01-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Probably Double Dragon.
Old 08-01-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joust, Dig-Dug, Contra, Gauntlet, Smash TV. Those are some games that devoured many quarters from me. Also, if any of the Mortal Kombat games fit in that time frame then count them as well.

There is a reason i adore the Midway Arcade Treasures discs and am super excited for volume 2.
Old 08-01-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Double Dragon and Ikari Warriors.
Old 08-01-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There always seemed to be some bigger, older kid playing Double Dragon; so as much as I lusted after it, I was always stuck playing the cheap knock offs like:

P.O.W - Prisoners of War
Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja

I also put approximately $569 into a machine that... hell, maybe you guys can help me out here, I've been trying to find a copy of it, or at least the name of it... but I don't think it ever made it to a home console; here's a description.

It was a side-scroller, quai-futuristic with alien type bad guys (I know this isn't helping). You would pick up weapon upgrades, the ones I can remember are a YELLOW LASER that could fire at several angles, it would get upgraded to wider laser beams. There was also a PURPLE BOOMERANG weapon that blasted toward your enemy at multiple angles. The main character was on foot... that's all I can remember. It could have been Strider, but I don't think so...

Anyway... other arcade favorites:

Kung Fu Master - $11,000 worth of coins and I never made it further than 5 steps into level 2.

Elevator Action - Spent millions on it, was never sure of what I was supposed to be doing, but was great value because you could run around endlessly avoiding bad guys.

Gradius - At least I think it was - Your spaceship could move 360 degrees around the screen and fire on oncoming enemies? It was either that or Gyrus... think it was the latter.
Old 08-01-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dig Dug first, Donkey Kong a close second.
I used to be able to get to screen 40 without dying on Dig Dug.

Other favorites would be Scramble, Joust, and a sick fascination with Bagman because it was so hard.
Old 08-01-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought of a couple others. Heavy Barrel was one i really enjoyed because of hunting out the upgrades for the big gun and how the joystick swiveled 360 degrees to aim your fire.

The other game i enjoyed i would like to find the name of. You traveled through time and rescued people from different eras who then followed your character around. You could switch between each of your characters and they had different weapons and attack patterns. In particular i remember an archer who could shoot an arrow straight or lob one up to hit people on cliffs and there was also someone with a boomerang who would throw it in two diff patterns. This game also had a joystick you could pivot to aim your fire while moving in any direction.

Anyone know the game?
Old 08-01-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Centipede is probably my favorite, I played that a lot at the arcade. Asteroid is second one I like to play.
Old 08-01-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by xmiyux
The other game i enjoyed i would like to find the name of. You traveled through time and rescued people from different eras who then followed your character around. You could switch between each of your characters and they had different weapons and attack patterns. In particular i remember an archer who could shoot an arrow straight or lob one up to hit people on cliffs and there was also someone with a boomerang who would throw it in two diff patterns. This game also had a joystick you could pivot to aim your fire while moving in any direction.

Anyone know the game?
Sounds like "Time Soldiers"

Now can you help me with the terribly vague game I described earlier?
Old 08-01-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite was Zaxxon. I could play a very long time on a quarter and set some scores that I never saw matched anywhere. Of course that was back when I was 10 years old and a dominate gamer.

Nowadays I can barely beat Mega Man on easy.

My second favorite was Pole Position which I could run through every time without a crash.

The days of games where you just had to learn the patterns.

Last edited by darkside; 08-01-04 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cheapskate
Gradius - At least I think it was - Your spaceship could move 360 degrees around the screen and fire on oncoming enemies? It was either that or Gyrus... think it was the latter. [/B]
It was
I never even saw one in the arcade, but that game is great. Amazing sound for its time too.
Old 08-01-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Roto
I never even saw one in the arcade, but that game is great. Amazing sound for its time too.
Yup! That was it!

It was one of about 12 arcade machines I used to visit in this absolute dive called "The Dungeon". It was in the basement of a 7/11 type store (creepy) and therefore had no windows; just the light of the arcade machines to guide you...

I'll always remember the time the power went out, and I got trampled as everyone tried to escape through the only staircase, in the pitch darkness. I was only 10 years old... to me it was scarier than a Great White concert!
Old 08-01-04, 04:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mainly loved the vector graphics games; Tempest, Star Trek, something w/ a squadron of spaceships that I can't recall now, Omega Race and of course BattleZone.
Old 08-01-04, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Ms. Pac Man
Galaga
Donkey Kong
Legend of Kage - Now there's a ninja who knows how to jump!!
Old 08-01-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nemein
Mainly loved the vector graphics games; Tempest, Star Trek, something w/ a squadron of spaceships that I can't recall now, Omega Race and of course BattleZone.
Tac Scan!

Last edited by Roto; 08-01-04 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 07:06 PM

APB

that game rocked
Old 08-01-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by darkside
My favorite was Zaxxon. I could play a very long time on a quarter and set some scores that I never saw matched anywhere. Of course that was back when I was 10 years old and a dominate gamer.

Nowadays I can barely beat Mega Man on easy.
I can barely get past the first wall in Zaxxon
Old 08-01-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's incredible to think we used to be good at these games!

I picked up the Activision Anthology at the CC sale, and man... I can't believe I was able to play those games for more than a few minutes at a time! The difficulty level was beyond frustrating; but the longer I played, the better I got.

Like someone else said earlier, it's all about patterns. I knew games today were a lot easier, but it's not until you play the old ones that you realise just how much easier they are...

Did anyone play the first level of, say, "Medal of Honor" 50 times before advancing? No... but damn I bet there's a lot of folks who never, ever made it past the first level of Kung Fu Master.
Old 08-01-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Operation: WOLF
End of discussion
Old 08-01-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cleaver
Operation: WOLF
End of discussion
Oh oh good one! Both this and Operation Thunderbolt were really good.
Old 08-01-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tempest is probably my favorite but since it's been so readily available on classic compilations and sequels, I won't count it.

I spent a ton of money on Jungle Hunt back in the day.

For some reason, I've been recently thinking about that game Food Fight. Awesome game.

Jeremy
Old 08-01-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jrutz
I spent a ton of money on Jungle Hunt back in the day.
How could I forget!?!? Classic... loved Jungle Hunt!

Old 08-01-04, 08:56 PM

Punch-out with two screens, Castlevania and 720. Remember that Journey game-huuurrll.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.