EA Sports NCAA Football 2005

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 08:41 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EA Sports NCAA Football 2005

http://www.easports.com/games/ncaa2005/home.jsp
I, for one can't wait! Shipping July 12th!

The NCAA® Football 2005 Producer and His Team Create
a Brand New College Gridiron Experience

With each passing year, it becomes harder and harder to improve on games like those in the NCAA® Football series from EA SPORTS™. This year, however, producer Rod Moye and his talented team have accomplished that feat once again, adding the nuances of home field advantage -- among other new features -- to NCAA Football 2005.

We chatted with Rod about what's new in this year's game, and what we can expect when we tee up the ball for the opening kickoff.

EA SPORTS: The theme for the game this year is Home Field Advantage. First off, what do you think makes home field advantage in college football different than in other sports?

Rod Moye: There are many things, but the two main things that create home field advantage are the fans and the actual size of the stadiums. The fans of college football take this sport very seriously, and they’re not only fair weather fans either. College fans pick a school and stick with it until the end; winning season, losing season, it doesn’t matter. Come Saturday, fans are ready to go, and when they get into their stadium, it becomes a mad house.

Then there are the stadiums themselves. For most schools, they are either huge or architected in a way that ensures the maximum crowd noise possible. Stadiums get so loud that sometimes they’ll actually shake like an earthquake. Combine those two factors and the visiting team is in for a very long Saturday.

EA SPORTS: What sort of effects will home field advantage have on visiting teams in this year's game?

Rod Moye: The visiting team will be fighting an uphill battle right from the opening kickoff, so right out of the gate you’ll notice that players are affected by the crowd. The louder the crowd, the more the visiting team feels the pressure. Not all players feel the pressure the same, though. We added a new composure rating for all players. The composure rating determines how each player will handle the pressure. A player with low composure can become rattled, which in turn decreases his overall rating. A player with high composure has that “been there done that” attitude and is less affected by the pressure.

The Stadium Pulse is another key factor. If the stadium is rockin', this meter will show it. The object is to get the Stadium Pulse meter maxed out. Something really cool is that you can repeatedly press on the L2 button and really get the Stadium Pulse going. This faster the better too. When the Stadium Pulse gets maxed out the visiting team will become rattled and confused. From there the effects of home field advantage are in full force.

We can't forget about the thing that really creates the home field advantage, the fans. There's nothing like a playing in a packed stadium on Saturday with 100,000 fans packed to the gill. We've modeled 3D fans that wear team specific stuff and do team specific animations, and these guys are crazy. They cheer, boo, mock, and generally act like wild people.

EA SPORTS: How will players be able to build their own home field advantage for programs that traditionally don't have one?

Rod Moye: It's all about making your stadium one of the top 25 toughest places to play in the nation. Building home field advantage for teams that currently don't have them is easy: win, win, win at home. By winning on your home turf, the stadium will get a crowd factor boost. Since the crowd can make the visiting team's life real tough, this becomes extremely important. So getting your stadium into the top 25 toughest places to play is definitely an advantage you want to have during the course of the Dynasty.

EA SPORTS: What is the Match-Up Stick?

Rod Moye: When we first started working on this year's project, we sat down and discussed how we could get quick reads on the playing field. The real concept being, where does my team have the advantage, and where does my opponent have the advantage. Do I have the advantage running the ball or do I have the advantage throwing the ball? Getting even more detailed, where can I run or throw the ball? So we came up with the Match-Up Stick.

How did we do it? Well, the Match-Up Stick displays meters for all of the players on the field. The meter tells you if a player is good or bad, and how good or bad they actually are. A green meter means the player is above average while a red meter means the player is below average. The more green that is in the meter, the more above average the player is. The more red that is in the meter, the more below average the player is. Average players do not display any color in their meter.

The meter also displays each player's composure level. A full circle means the player has high composure, and an empty circle means the player has low composure or is rattled.

EA SPORTS: What are interactive timeouts?

Rod Moye: If your players become too rattled, you'll be able to take a timeout and have your team captain calm them down a bit. During a timeout, you're giving a choice on which group to coach. It displays the group's overall rating (good or bad) and their overall composure level. Based on this, you'll have to make a decision on which group to coach. Be sure that your team captain is a high composure player though. If he's not, he can rattle the other players even more.

Since we're on the subject of timeouts, you can finally call timeouts to "ice the kicker." "Icing" a low-composure kicker can decrease his kicking ability, thus increasing the chance that he'll miss that game-winning field goal. Be careful, though -- "icing" a high-composure kicker just might make him better.

EA SPORTS: How about custom celebrations?

Rod Moye: We changed the system so that you can choose to play a mascot, fan, or player animation. You can also choose between mild or extreme animations. So if you choose an extreme fan animation, you'll see the fans going nuts.

EA SPORTS: What sort of enhancements have been made to Dynasty Mode?

Rod Moye: We really set out to please our hardcore fan base this year. Basically, we went through and added a lot of depth to our already deep Dynasty Mode.

The biggest thing we added for 2005 is program integrity. You now have to keep tabs on your players off the field as they may have academic issues or team rule violations. You can choose to discipline these players by sitting them for a quarter or suspending them for a game (or the entire season). If you fail to maintain your program, the penalties can be quite severe -- from losing scholarships and television exposure, to the inability to play in bowls or for championships, to even the death penalty.

We also added transfers to the mix this year. Players who feel that they don't have a chance to get on the field may ask to transfer to another school. Conversely, you can have players wanting to transfer to your school if you lack depth at certain positions.

Recruiting has also been totally re-worked for 2005. We added a pipeline feature to allow you to build on your recruiting success out of a certain state or region. We also added the ability to recruit a high school athlete that excels in a variety of positions. You can then switch him to a position that best suits your team and he will progress accordingly at this position.

To top it all off, we added detailed scouting (where you can unlock a prospect's attributes without offering him a scholarship), offensive/defensive coaching strategies (which affects play-calling, simulation, and recruiting), 70-man roster, and accurate conference schedule rotations. Needless to say, our hardcore fans will really appreciate the wealth and depth of features in Dynasty Mode for 2005.

EA SPORTS: How about gameplay?

Rod Moye: Gameplay was our main focus this year. We really wanted it to feel different right from the first play. From run blocking to QB awareness in the pocket, the game plays a lot different than it has in the past. You'll notice that running up the middle is greatly improved. If you have a good offensive line, you can really dominate with the running game now. Running lanes open up now; you simply have to hit the them and trust that your linemen will block for you. Trust me, it's awesome.

To make the running game even easier we added a new agile run animation. This new animation gives you greater control of the ball carrier than ever before. You can weave in and out of traffic for bigger gains. No more getting stopped on an offensive lineman. You now can make those cuts that you always wanted to. This is something that will change the way you think of controlling the player.

On the defensive side of the ball, we added Big Hits. Big Hits are triggered with the L2 button while controlling a defensive player. Right before you make contact with the ball carrier or intended receiver, press the L2 button and the defender will explode into a bone crushing tackle. This increases the fumble or dropped ball chance as well as lowering the offensive player's composure. He'll think twice before coming into your zone the next time!

EA SPORTS: What are the benefits of playing online on the PlayStation 2 or Xbox?

Rod Moye: We've added a lot of cool things to online this year, so you'll have stuff online that you can only get online. One of the things that we really wanted to prevent this year was cheating. We've added a new scouting report that allows you to check any player's tendencies. You can look at their favorite playbook and formation, as well as look at how much they no-huddle, call hot routes, and audible.

We've also put in quick tournaments, which allow you to get into a 4- or 8-player tournament without having to worry about when it will start. We've got mini-games, new leaderboards, an Even Teams mode which will let fans of smaller schools compete with the big boys, and lots of other cool stuff. But you'll have to go online to check it all out.

EA SPORTS: Any new statistical tracking, awards, magazine covers, or anything of that nature?

Rod Moye: One of the things that our fans enjoy is the "User Pick" stat that appears in game. This year, we added a few more of these "User" stats and these are now tracked in your Record Book.

As far as awards and trophies go, each year we add more and more to the mix. We now have support for the Rimington Trophy and the Doak Walker Award. We also have the actual trophies for all 28 bowl games, along with the 49 traveling trophies for rivalry games that we support.

The SI feature was a huge success in 2004 and we really focused on beefing up this feature with even more stories and insights. For this year, we've added the Top 25 Toughest Places to Play to allow users to see the tough venues to play in, as well as to work their way up the rankings. We also added All-Conference teams to go along with our already extensive list of awards. The great thing about SI is that it keeps users involve with their dynasty - if a top school is on probation, they'll read about it, if there is an upcoming rematch, they'll see it, and if there's a big face-off between two high-ranked quarterbacks, they'll know it.

EA SPORTS: Anything else about NCAA Football 2005 that you want to talk about?

Rod Moye: I'd just like to say the entire team (production, art, development and marketing) worked very hard and is extremely proud of this game. I truly believe that everyone is going to love playing it.
Old 06-21-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its gonna kick ass. Can't wait to play my old roommate from Nebraska and kick his ass with my Hawkeyes on Live.
Old 06-21-04, 09:06 AM
DAC

I have been looking for the best place to pre-order. The best deal without a coupon I can seem to find is bestbuy with free shipping.
Old 06-21-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I already plunked down the money at my local EB for the game...I can't wait.
Old 06-21-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's been a few years since I've bought NCAA Football, so I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up this year's version.
Old 06-21-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
Its gonna kick ass. Can't wait to play my old roommate from Nebraska and kick his ass with my Hawkeyes on Live.
to another Hawkeye fan.
Old 06-21-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is the first EA game to be on Xbox Live. The one that will suck is that now everyone online is obviously gonna want to be the home team. I wonder if they will do anything different for that.
Old 06-21-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll have to wait until I get real broadband before I take this bad boy online.

However, I won't be disappointed since I loved NCAA Football 2004 and played about 70 single player games with my Ducks.
Old 06-21-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

go Quakers! what are the chances that Franklin Field will actually be depicted in this version?
Old 06-21-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did they add any new conferences? They need to put the Southland Conference on this game.
Old 06-21-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you play online with a user-created team?

Who's going to start the DVDTalk league for this?
Old 06-21-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, this looks really good. I'm actually looking forward to ESPN NFL, but I think I will pick this up to hold off my Football needs until then.

I know EA usually sends out $15 off coupons for their website. Shipping is like $5.95 or more....but it's probably cheaper than buying at a store....not sure how fast they ship though.
Old 06-21-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yeah, this looks really good. I'm actually looking forward to ESPN NFL, but I think I will pick this up to hold off my Football needs until then.

I know EA usually sends out $15 off coupons for their website. Shipping is like $5.95 or more....but it's probably cheaper than buying at a store....not sure how fast they ship though.
That's where I pre-ordered mine. I think it was about $43 after the coupon, shipping and tax.
Old 06-21-04, 05:28 PM
DAC

I picked a few games up from EA Store and they take a while to ship. I remember thinking that since they are EA they should get it out right away, but not the case. I think I got it a day or two after it was released.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/524/524154p1.html?fromint=1

...There is an EA Sports Ticker at the bottom of the screen that will feed schedules and stats of real-life games being played courtesy of Stats Inc., while at the same time also showing scores of games being played by gamers on your friends list...

...You'll also be able to click on an opponent's name or look him up on the Web site to check out details on a gamer's favorite plays, favorite formations, average points, average yards per rush and pass, and every other stat imaginable. Each player will also have their own trophy room to show off not only all of their championships from online tournaments, but also to display badges won for completing goals like throwing for 100 touchdowns online or rushing for 1,000 yards over a weekend. There are also plans for time-specific badges that you will only be able to win during a given period, like a turkey badge you can only win on Thanksgiving...

...One of the biggest innovations, however, is going to be the all new reputation number assigned to each gamer. Similar to what you'd see on eBay, every time you play an opponent, you'll be able to rate them and provide feedback on everything from having a good attitude and a great session to complaining about their cursing, cheating, screaming, threats, or harassment. This way, when you log on to play a game (this rep number will carry across all of the EA Sports titles and will also carry over from year-to-year), you can actually block out all gamers who carry a reputation of under your desired level...
It doesn't look like you will be able to play created teams online, at least I haven't found any info that says you will be able to.
Old 06-21-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
I still say the fact that they made downloadable rosters difficult to get makes me want to skip this year's version and stay pat with last year's. I know that they can't put the names in, and hardcore players will manually input all the names (which I did for years), but it was nice when you could download other people's hard work.

The big advantage that I see for this year is the new Xbox Live connectivity, but I barely played last year's PS2 version online at all. Homefield advantage seems pretty neat, but will make online play even more lopsided than it already will be (small conference teams will have little chance unless the player is really, really good). I don't really want to deal with off-the-field troubles, other than players wanting to declare early... I really hope that particular feature doesn't make it into Madden.

Well, I've barely explored last year's version, and that version probably has the best USC lineup I'll ever see (not to mention the only USC cover I'll ever see)
Old 06-21-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im going to pass on this and wait for Madden. Of course, I say that every year and then change my mind when I see NCAA in the stores.
Old 06-21-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard that there will be a mode where you play in the 25 hardest stadiums to play in...

All Im saying is it better have my Autzen Stadium in it or they don't know anything about college football
Old 06-22-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How can I use people's rosters they create that will eventually come out? Can I D/L them off the internet and use them or will I have to send my memory card to them? I'm talking for the XBOX...unmodded.

Hopefully EA will come out with another coupon soon....I realized my other one expired, but they usually have them every month....I have yet to order this yet.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 06-22-04 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
I've never done it for the Xbox, but I think you can just use the action replay to do it. Basically, the action replay for Xbox just lets you download saves to a memory card, so I'm pretty sure that's how you'd get it done. Unfortunately, the NCAA has come down on some of the more popular sites hosting these rosters, but where there's a will, there's a way.

The roster makers are pretty obsessive about the teams they create... not only do they do the names, but they correct minor differences in players and create new players too.
Old 06-22-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, Action Replay. You even get an 8MB Memory card with it. You go to the site that has the rosters, download them to your computer, put the memory card in the adapter, copy the file over, load it on your Xbox and voila, you have real names for the freshmen on up.
Old 06-22-04, 06:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
Can not wait for this
Old 06-23-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would a modded Xbox eliminate the need for the Action Replay? I'm wondering if I can just FTP the roster file to my Xbox.
Old 06-23-04, 03:03 PM

Nope Gromit cause its saved for XBOX in an Action Replay format
Old 06-23-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gromit
Would a modded Xbox eliminate the need for the Action Replay? I'm wondering if I can just FTP the roster file to my Xbox.
Short answer: yes (did it last year)
Old 06-23-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gr8fuldave
Nope Gromit cause its saved for XBOX in an Action Replay format
Really? I had no problem with it last year - and I don't have an action replay. Maybe I just had the actual roster file, and not the action replay file. I'll check it out at home

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.