Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Final Fantasy V - What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Final Fantasy V - What to expect?

So, I am going to start playing Final Fantasy 5 for the first time ever and I am just wondering what to expect in terms of storyline, lenght, enjoyability, etc. I have played and beaten
FF 4(2), 6(3), 7 and 10.

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!!

I never read the instruction manual at all yet, I am about to do so, but I have zero knowledge of what it is all about.
Old 06-04-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The story isn't as good and 4 or 6, but it's on the same level as far as how much you have to sit through to actually play the game. The gameplay itself is probably the best of the SNES games. There's a lot you can do with your characters with the job system. Length is about the same as 4 I think.. a little more if you want to get all the jobs and spells and stuff, which is fun.

If you like 4 and 6, you'll like 5, that's really all you'll need to know.

Trivia: Once FF2 and FF3 became more-or-less cult hits on the SNES, Squaresoft planned to release the passed-over FF5 as.. get this: "Final Fantasy Extreme"

More Trivia: Early version of FF6, the plot revolved around a thief and his moogle, their names were Rock and Roll. (Rock=Locke).
Old 06-04-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Trivia: Once FF2 and FF3 became more-or-less cult hits on the SNES, Squaresoft planned to release the passed-over FF5 as.. get this: "Final Fantasy Extreme"

That name brings back memories. I remember getting an issue of Nintendo Power either after the U.S. release(Oct. 94) of FF3(FF6) or after Chrono Trigger was released that following year and them mentioning a Final Fantasy game would be released called 'Final Fantasy Extreme'. After just having finished FF3(6) I wanted to know immediately all the details of this game so I called a friend of mine, Todd, who worked as a game counsler for Square when they were based in Redmond, WA and he confirmed it was FF5. Sadly, NoA dumped it and I would have to wait 5 years before getting the chance to play it.

I would agree with Pixy...the story isn't anywhere near as good as FF4 & 6 but the gameplay was probably the best. The whole job system kicked ass. As far as length...all depends on the player. When I play through an RPG I like to do everything possible, some people don't. I would say FF5 is a solid 30-35hr game.
Old 06-05-04, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like the two above posters, I also thought the story wasn't too great, it wasn't as engaging like FF4 or 6, IMO. I thought the job system was a great innovation to the game, but it could have been better cause it took forever to get enough AP points to reach 999 that is required for the cool skills. Add to that, there are very few enemies that offer high AP points.