Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Spin tennis for Xbox, anyone else love it?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the game after watching a kid play it in a store. I'm a pretty big tennis fan, but I think that this game would appeal to pretty much anyone. Excellent controls and gameplay, supremely customizable (you can adjust your characters nostril diameter fer crissake) and terrific graphics.
Old 05-27-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend really likes this game, but I just don't care for it.

As a big Virtua Tennis and 2k2 fan, this game seems a little "hokey", especially with the adrenelin meter, or whatever the heck it's supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun, but as a tennis purist, I find some of the frills just that.
Old 05-27-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good game, the cpu is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but online competition is brutal. You will be lucky to win 1 point even.
Old 05-27-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's definitely the best current tennis game available. I had quite a bit of fun with it at first but the longer I played it the more I realized it was still weaker than Virtua Tennis. I posted a few reasons why in a post a while back.
Old 05-27-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like it at all. I never tried online, but the single player is really weak. The mini-games are all pretty dumb and very limited. There is no atmosphere at all in the actual matches. The tournaments take too long. Especially at the start when they are uber-easy, its extremely boring because its no challenge at all. Then it gets harder and you get to the final round and lose, and gotta waste another half hour playing 2 ez matches just to get to the tough last match. Sure, there are lots of items and stuff to dress your player up, but its all barbie model stuff that doesn't really make the gameplay any better.

I preferred Virtua Tennis. The mini games were a lot more fun and the matches were a lot more involving. Sure, it wasn't as sophisticated, and doubles matches had lousy AI, but it was just more fun.
Old 05-27-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I read in a magazine somewhere that Top Spin is really a RPG disguised as a tennis game (half-jokingly). But, I could see how they were somewhat correct. I love RPGs, maybe that's why I love Top Spin so much.
Old 05-27-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

single player is pretty arcadey. online is very hard. there is a bit of lag sometimes so aiming your shot doesn't necesarily register with the game because of the lag.
Old 05-27-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As someone who's played a bit I find Topspin a bit closer to the real thing than Sega2k2 which is definitely more arcadey. Also there's a bit more scope for improvement in Topspin (particularly with trying to master the trick shots) while I feel I maxed out my ability in 2k2 fairly quickly. Having said that, the career mode in 2k2 is way more fun.

Both games are great though.
Old 05-27-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's fun, but the load times kill it for me.

If you really like tennis, stick to the dreamcast version
Old 05-28-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I love Top Spin. I think the career mode was decent. But what others say is true. The first two matches really aren't a challenge, then you get to Chang or Sampras and get your ass handed to you in two sets. And the challenges were quite uninspired. I thought they would change from company to company. Kinda disappointing. But the way the game mechanics and building up your character choosing skills was excellent.

Now, Live. That is another ballgame. At times it was fun, and others extremely frustrating. I got my rank up around 1800. Not too shabby. Not great either. Once I got that high the OptiMatch kept matching me with people in the top 100. While most were good at this level, i'd say 30% cheat to win, to keep their ranking. At least that was the way it was when I last played in Jan/Feb. They use the death drop shot return on every serve. Quite annoying. So I gave up on live. It ended up being more frustrating than fun.