Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Breakdown $19.99 BestBuy.com

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox Breakdown $19.99 BestBuy.com

That's right!

I'm heading to the store and see if they have it on sale there too.

Link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product
Old 05-24-04, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO it's a PITA game that I wouldn't blow the money on again (actually it was kind of fun just hard as hell even on the easy setting). You might be able to catch a good trade up (buy here and sell at Hollywood Video for example) if you hurry though
Old 05-25-04, 04:16 PM

Got this at Best Buy for $19.99-$5 coupon. So it is brick and mortar also.
Old 05-25-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is breakdown as hard or harder than ninja gaiden?
Old 05-25-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked it up from Target when they had it for 19.99. Personally I thought the game was pretty bad. I didn't really make it too far before I just lost interest in it. As of last wednesday, EBGames was giving $15 credit for it still, so I unloaded it there and was only out $5.
Old 05-26-04, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by the_dude8
is breakdown as hard or harder than ninja gaiden?
I finished Breakdown a few months ago and am currently working on Ninja Gaiden. Breakdown is very linear, so it's easy in that you'll always know where to go next. Some of the battles are extremely hard and can get extremely aggravating (to the point that you may have a major "breakdown" for real). Ninja Gaiden is the opposite to me. Since you can still access older areas as you advance through each chapter, you can get lost pretty easily. The battles are not that tough in that all the enemies have certain tactics they follow and you just need to familiarize yourself (and have lots of healing potions). I'll give the edge to Breakdown in difficulty. It ended up being one of my favorite games on the Xbox due to the story.
Old 05-26-04, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I picked it up from Target when they had it for 19.99. Personally I thought the game was pretty bad. I didn't really make it too far before I just lost interest in it. As of last wednesday, EBGames was giving $15 credit for it still, so I unloaded it there and was only out $5.
Even better ebgames.com website will give you $22 in credit for it, plus a $2 shipping credit. So it's pretty much a free rental.
Old 05-26-04, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll give the edge to Breakdown in difficulty. It ended up being one of my favorite games on the Xbox due to the story.
I agree the story was kind of fun, and the controls were easy to pick up. When you have to replay a section a dozen times on the "easy" difficulty though something's wrong IMHO. Maybe it's just a disagreement over how games should be designed. IMHO "easy" should mean you either have to really not be paying attention or you have to go out of your way to die. Getting the snot kicked out of you everytime you turn around (ok it was really only 2 places that held me up ) is not fun.
Old 05-26-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I thought the game was pretty cool. At times I almost broke down myself and destroyed my controller in frustration, but I played till the end. Really hoping for a sequel.

Worth $20, and like some other guy said...EB is giving $15 credit, so if you dislike the game, it's only setting you back $5
Old 05-28-04, 12:41 PM

Although the game is tough even on easy, I recommend finishing it on normal just to unlock the E3 trailer. It's better than the trailer that plays before the "press start" screen.
Old 05-28-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Yea...to bad most of the footage didn't make it to the final game
Old 05-31-04, 09:03 PM

Some heads up: Breakdown is still only 20 bucks at Best Buy. There was a tag that listed it as 50 so don't be deceived.

And for those of you unfamiliar with it here are some reviews:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/499/499289p1.html

Closing Comments
Breakdown has a lot of problems. The level design is boring, the textures on the environments suck, the AI is simplistic, and some moments will have you reaching for the airsick bag, and yet I still liked the game. Breakdown has some smart ideas and none of them really go anywhere. There are some games where you can play them and realize that with just a couple more months of development time, they could have been something special -- Not Breakdown. The design overall is far too weak to have ever made this one a classic without some major revisions. However, Namco had plenty of time to tweak the AI to make battles more enjoyable (or at least not so frustrating), but instead they made no real improvements over the Japanese release.
The story does a lot to make the gameplay issues more forgivable and, in fact, is why I give this one a recommendation -- as a rental. You'll have no reason to replay this game, but considering that it can easily be finished in under eight hours, this is one gamers can rent for a rainy weekend during the spring. The deeper into the story I got, the more I enjoyed it and there are enough enjoyable moments (the final boss battle is fantastic) to make the obvious weak points a little more acceptable. Definitely not worth forfeiting 50 bucks on, but a rental for sure. Despite its problems, I still liked the damn game.

-- Hilary Goldstein

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/breakdo...html?fromint=1

Pros and Cons
Unique perspective; both fist-fighting and gunplay; cool dream sequences; decent visuals. Awkward and frustrating combat; poor voice acting; not enough action to keep things fresh.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...wn/review.html

Breakdown is about as tragically good a game as you will ever encounter in this generation of console gaming. This is a game that wants to be so much more than it is, and yet the final product simply doesn't manage to achieve these lofty aspirations. However, this does not mean that Breakdown isn't worth playing, because it absolutely is. Breakdown is an average action game that happens to feature some exceedingly cool, though unfortunately fleeting, moments of brilliance, and for anyone looking for something new and interesting in the genre of first-person action titles, these moments of exceptionality make the game worth a look. Though Breakdown won't blow you away from start to finish, at times you'll certainly be impressed with what it attempts to do.

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,2053,1595664,00.asp

Good: Excellent story
Bad: Shooting lame. Punching good!
We Would Have Loved: A mano-a-mano versus mode
Old 06-01-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Breakdown was awesome. The reviews are way off.
Old 06-01-04, 09:58 PM

I agree. I'm really enjoying it right now (which prompted me to look up the reviews). Flawed? Yes, but I'm definitely impressed by what it attempts to accomplish.