Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Syphon Filter Omega Strain-Good, Bad, Ugly?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone play this yet? What do you guys think? I rented it today, but have yet to play it. I hope it's similar to the old PS1 series.
Old 05-19-04, 12:17 AM

I did the beta test for it.

Well, at least I tried.

There was no one logged in testing it out when I wanted to play it, and this was less than a week after Sony delivered the beta DVD's.
Old 05-19-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played Full version of the game at local Ebgames store around 30 minutes. I think is OK (average) but i am not spend more $15 on the game.

The graphic is great but the camera & game play is totally $uck

Notes: PS1 version 1-3 is much better
Old 05-19-04, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
I played Full version of the game at local Ebgames store around 30 minutes. I think is OK (average) but i am not spend more $15 on the game.

The graphic is great but the camera & game play is totally $uck

Notes: PS1 version 1-3 is much better
I may pick this up once it is a budget title. It's a sad day when companies are so worried about making their games online compatible, they allow the single player game to suffer. This could have and should have been equal to or better than Syphon 1-3 but instead we are looking to the old games for some good gameplay.
Old 05-19-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how do the syphon filter series go?

I was flipping thru a magazine from 2001 and it had an ad for syphon filter 3
Old 05-19-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played the game last night for a little while. It's ok. I really like the previous ones on the PS1 better. The gameplay on the older ones is just a lot better. I'm still trying to figure a lot of things out, but it seems much harder than before.
Old 05-19-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played it this past weekend. It's a pretty good game. My biggest complaint is that the missions are designed for more than one person and it makes playing them in single player rather long and tedious. I'll wait for this to be a Greatest Hit before I pick it up.
Old 05-19-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still on the first level right now, sometimes when I go up to objects and hit the triangle button, it says something to the extent of "other team member needed". Is this something that can only be done in multiplayer mode?
Old 05-19-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
I'm still on the first level right now, sometimes when I go up to objects and hit the triangle button, it says something to the extent of "other team member needed". Is this something that can only be done in multiplayer mode?
Yeah, there's special moves where team members will help you up onto a ledge or on top of a truck or something.
Old 05-20-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How in the hell do you toggle between the flashlight and the night vision goggles? I am stuck, and really need the goggles for a part of the first mission. I can't seem to figure it out.
Old 05-21-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I figured out the goggles thing. Man, that was annoying. I have no idea what I did, but somehow I got them to work. Does anyone else find this game extremely difficult? The second level starts and I just have no idea what to do. Tons of bad guys everywhere. Are they just making these games harder to make us buy the strategy guide? I seem to remember the first 3 versions of Syphon Filter being fairly easy to figure out on my own. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 05-21-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
OK, I figured out the goggles thing. Man, that was annoying. I have no idea what I did, but somehow I got them to work. Does anyone else find this game extremely difficult? The second level starts and I just have no idea what to do. Tons of bad guys everywhere. Are they just making these games harder to make us buy the strategy guide? I seem to remember the first 3 versions of Syphon Filter being fairly easy to figure out on my own. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Yeah I found that was really annoying trying to toggle between the flashling and the nightvision goggles. You have to hold down the right key on the d-pad (note; if you tap the right key on the d-pad it will only turn the item on and off, you have to hold it to make it change).

I think this game is more difficult because it's designed to be primarily played online. Alot of the missions you really need help to accomplish many of the objectives.