Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Old 06-12-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say it took me about 4-5 hrs, and I did almost everything...even all but 2 of the the lame prison errands. It was a fun game, but i'm on to the next one
Old 06-12-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,270 Likes on 2,180 Posts
It's a great game and worth a purchase, but I'm really enjoying it as a rental and don't think I'm missing out on much by not buying it. I anticipate finishing it before I have to return it on Thurs. Awesome as it is, for $6 I can play through it once and feel pretty satisfied with the expierence.
Old 06-13-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought this, and finished it already. I really liked it, and I hope they make a game sequel. I hope this company does more games in the future, they really nailed it on all levels. For me, it is one that I could play over and over again, even just to explore and see what's possible, and check out things I may have missed the first time through.

For those who haven't finished the game yet, let the whole end credits play; there is a cutscene at the very end that ties in some of the mythology from the movie.
Old 06-14-04, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by discostu1337
. It only saves at the magical checkpoints, and you cant tell what save was a checkpoint, or just a random save until you quit the game...usually to find out it was not a checkpoint and you lost about 30min of work.
actually i just found this out....in the "load game" menu the first button on top labeled "checkpoint" is actually the quicksave , so if you load that you actually didnt loose 30 min of work as i did several times
Old 06-17-04, 01:49 AM

Well, I just finished the game in time to return it just barely, but that's more due to my limited play time (after 9 pm) than to the game's length or difficulty. It's a fantastic game and yes, that last level is a blast (if not very difficult). Still, I'll stand by my claim that I'm glad this was a rental instead of a purchase. Best $6 I've spent in a while.

If they ever made a sequel, I'd love to see multiplayer (full scale prison riots Yeehah!) and more RPG-like gamplay. And if you're going to do a bunch of side-quests and searches for hidden items, have the rewards be more interesting than they currently are (look it's a sketch of a gun! Ooohhh!). But I guess that's nit picking. Cool game overall, definately
Old 06-17-04, 07:10 AM

Got my copy yesterday (thanks alexkat!), and I'm really digging it. The only thing that I'm not completely sold on is fighting hand to hand using a first person view. I wish that you could at least choose to fight from a third person perspective for these fights.
Old 06-17-04, 09:23 AM

BTW: Why was I saving all my USD money anyway? I assumed there was a reason I'd need it later in the game, but it never came up (at least for me). I would have bought those smokes if I knew I wasn't going to use if for anything else
Spoiler:
besides the tranq gun

And while we're at it, why was I collecting moths? I never found a use for them.
Old 06-17-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 647 Likes on 454 Posts
with all the praise for this game, I picked it up. Hopefully I will have time tonight to actually open it and play a bit.
Old 06-22-04, 09:21 AM

I finished the game last night. I thought it was very enjoyable, but it was over all too quickly. I didn't do all of the side missions so I suppose that would have made the game a little longer. Too bad there is no Xbox Live support.

This game may hold the record for the longest ending credits ever!
Old 06-23-04, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Decker
BTW: Why was I saving all my USD money anyway? I assumed there was a reason I'd need it later in the game, but it never came up (at least for me). I would have bought those smokes if I knew I wasn't going to use if for anything else
Spoiler:
besides the tranq gun

And while we're at it, why was I collecting moths? I never found a use for them.
I think the USD money was to buy the smokes, the traq gun, have the guy create a distraction, etc. The moths were for the druggie in Block D and he traded you smokes for them.
Old 06-23-04, 04:58 PM

Need some help:

I'm on Checkpoint 27 (I think) when the creatures have broken loose following the explosion. There's a broken/cracked bridge. How do I advance? The bridge seemed like the only place thus far that I could explore.

And I think the game is pretty fun, but its also pretty darn annoying at times. Its easy to miss hangrails and to know how to proceed. And I died a bunch last night in the mines until I found the tranq gun.
Old 06-24-04, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by Liquid Death
Need some help:

I'm on Checkpoint 27 (I think) when the creatures have broken loose following the explosion. There's a broken/cracked bridge. How do I advance? The bridge seemed like the only place thus far that I could explore.

And I think the game is pretty fun, but its also pretty darn annoying at times. Its easy to miss hangrails and to know how to proceed. And I died a bunch last night in the mines until I found the tranq gun.
Spoiler:
u gotta go back to where all the aliens keep appearing and go up the ramp.
Old 08-01-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After a nice, casual week of play, I just finished Riddick - damn, what a terrific game! Even with all of the positive word-of-mouth, I didn't expect it to be this good.

Riddick featured a solid story, excellent pacing, logical sense of progression and a nice overall variety to the gameplay. Of course, it was a beautiful game in technical terms, if not quite as polished as it could have been. All things considered, this is my GOTY to date, easily besting Ninja Gaiden. Riddick is a perfect example of why my favorite games typically eschew artificial timesinks and focus on maximizing every moment.

After the last two well-reviewd games that I've played this summer (Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia) both failed to impress, Riddick was a wonderful surprise. I can't wait to see the next project from Starbreeze.
Old 08-01-04, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
After a nice, casual week of play, I just finished Riddick - damn, what a terrific game! Even with all of the positive word-of-mouth, I didn't expect it to be this good.

Riddick featured a solid story, excellent pacing, logical sense of progression and a nice overall variety to the gameplay. Of course, it was a beautiful game in technical terms, if not quite as polished as it could have been. All things considered, this is my GOTY to date, easily besting Ninja Gaiden. Riddick is a perfect example of why my favorite games typically eschew artificial timesinks and focus on maximizing every moment.

After the last two well-reviewd games that I've played this summer (Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia) both failed to impress, Riddick was a wonderful surprise. I can't wait to see the next project from Starbreeze.
I think you're giving this game too easy a pass. Yes, it looks amazing and is a lot of fun while it lasts, but let's be honest : it doesn't last long. There are a lot of good ideas that barely scratch the surface (the rpg elements are very superficial and have no effect on the game, rewards for sidequests and exploration are phenominally lame). There is really no reason to ever play it again. Multiplayer options or at least unlockables would have really added to the game's longevity. The fact that it's so plot driven actually decreases the game's replayability; it's one thing to shoot up the library in Halo, it's another to re-escape from Butcher Bay. I loved the game and am so glad I rented it, but I won't buy it even if it drops to $15 because I've been there, done that.

Best Game Rental Ever? Absolutely. GOTY? I really hope not.
Old 08-01-04, 02:25 PM

For what it was, Riddick was a great game, but def. not worth $50 or even $40, as it is over within 6-8 hours. But honestly, I'd rather play through Riddick again than the middle levels of Halo (including the library)...talk about repetitious...
Old 08-01-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker
I think you're giving this game too easy a pass. Yes, it looks amazing and is a lot of fun while it lasts, but let's be honest : it doesn't last long.
I don't think I'm being too easy on it; I just have a different set of expectations. Personally, I prefer a taut 9 hours to 20 hours with a noticeable amount of filler.

Ninja Gaiden - a game that I liked - was a perfect example of a ~20 hour game which was at least 5 hours too long, IMO:

- "puzzles" which always destroyed the flow
- combat which became mind-numbingly repetitive after only a few hours; I was effectively invincible over the last half of the game
- TONS of backtracking
- far too much swimming
- many indistinguishable levels, design-wise and objective-wise

These pacing issues and tangential elements only served to weigh down the action + platform combination that has always been the whole point of Ninja Gaiden. Riddick didn't have that problem. Now, had the campaign been twice as long, I suspect that I'd have just as many criticisms of Riddick as I do of Ninja Gaiden. So, yes, while the length "suffered," it was a significantly more enjoyable experience for my tastes because of that sacrifice.

There are a lot of good ideas that barely scratch the surface (the rpg elements are very superficial and have no effect on the game, rewards for sidequests and exploration are phenominally lame).
Riddick was supposed to be an action/adventure game, not an exploration-centric collect-a-thon. I'm glad that Riddick limited those diversions and focused on its main objectives. It's exceedingly rare that a developer is able to successfully marry such disparate mechanics, anyway.

There is really no reason to ever play it again. Multiplayer options or at least unlockables would have really added to the game's longevity. The fact that it's so plot driven actually decreases the game's replayability; it's one thing to shoot up the library in Halo, it's another to re-escape from Butcher Bay. I loved the game and am so glad I rented it, but I won't buy it even if it drops to $15 because I've been there, done that.
I almost never find a game to be deserving of a second playthrough. I haven't replayed the single player portion of any non-"arcade" game in several years, or an RPG since the mid-90s. I can't remember the last time I replayed a game solely for unlockable content. I wholeheartedly agree that multiplayer (read: online shiv fights) would have been a welcome addition.

FWIW, I don't think Riddick is a keeper, either.

Best Game Rental Ever? Absolutely. GOTY? I really hope not.
And for the $5 I spent on the experience, it was perfect. Minute by minute, Riddick was far and away the most fun I've had with a new release all year. Metal Gear Solid was a similarly short, narrative-heavy game with little replay value and I don't think that its perceived shortcomings diminished its quality.
Old 08-01-04, 07:26 PM

Fair enough. For your expectations, it was a rousing success. It makes a fabulous rental. Like I said I loved it. And yes, minute for minute, it was a terrific expierence.
For me, a GOTY has got to go beyond a few hours of amazing gameplay to really involve me and absorb me. It would have to be a game I want to keep for as long as I owned the system, if only to play it again for a short seating every once in a great while. Games like KOTOR, Ratchet & Clank (1 & 2), Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow have great gameplay and the longevity to really make the expierence a memorable one.

BTW MGS lasted a lot longer than 8 hrs for me, but maybe I just sucked. That was a really great game back in the day; lots of fun and innovative gameplay. Too bad the sequel was such a disappointment.
Old 08-01-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really long post aside, I fully expect Halo 2 to blow Riddick away.
Old 08-02-04, 02:15 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I don't think I'm being too easy on it; I just have a different set of expectations. Personally, I prefer a taut 9 hours to 20 hours with a noticeable amount of filler.
Definitely true.

But for a game I'm going to buy rather than rent (especially buy at full price at launch) I want at least a taut 15-20 hours with no filler.

And I'd agree with Decker that I couldn't vote a game that short at GOTY.

GOTY has to be a great game from start to finish and last at least 15 hours preferrably with replay value to get my vote.
Old 08-02-04, 02:17 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Liquid Death
... the middle levels of Halo (including the library)...talk about repetitious...
Ugh. No kidding. It was a chore to finish Halo once the flood and back tracking came into play, on top of all the indoor areas looking nearly identical throughout the game.
Old 08-02-04, 03:56 PM

The game was cool.
I bought it and beat after playing on and off for a few weeks.
The lighting was cool, and the story was cool, but a lot of it seemed like poinltess filler.

I sold it at EB and got $25 for it that I put towards Psi-Ops!
Now THAT game is worth the $$$$.
It's much more fun to play!
Old 08-03-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Ugh. No kidding. It was a chore to finish Halo once the flood and back tracking came into play, on top of all the indoor areas looking nearly identical throughout the game.
I'm playing through Halo now and I totally agree. I love the game, but this shizzle is out of control. Every corridor looks the same. So much so that sometimes I would get turned around and not even realize I was going backwards until I saw a dead body. But I guess it would be worse if it wasn't so much fun killing stuff in the game

I do think Riddick was a game that was immersive enough to warrant the $50 price tag (as I trumpeted earlier in this thread), but lets just say I'm glad I only paid $30 for it. I can see it being a game that I pull out and beat again and again over the coming years(kinda like how you can beat a Sonic the Hedgehog game in one sitting on a boring Saturday). At least until the sequel comes out.