Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo DS E3 Lineup and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nintendo DS E3 Lineup and Discussion

Well, I don't have access to IGN or Magic Box at work but I wanted to start a DS only thread to keep the naysayers and bashers away. If you want to say Nintendo DS is an abortion or Virtual Boy 2, do so in one of the PSP threads (where I can use the excellent "Report this post to a moderator" button).

Here's some of the stuff I can recall from my morning readings:

Animal Crossing: Use wireless to trade and visit other players towns!!

Wario Ware DS: Touch screen mini-game madness.

Metroid Prime: Hunters: Wireless Metroid multi-player.

Mr. Driller: I bought a GBA for this game.. will I buy a DS for it?

New Super Mario Borthers: A new Mario Bros. platformer looking like it's based on the very original.

Pac-Man Roller: Pac-Man meets marble madness. Use the touch screen to control a trackball, roll Pac-Man through mazes to eat fruit, pellets, and ghosts.

Pac-Man Pix: Draw a Pac-Man and he'll come to life, then you have to draw the actual maze to guide Pac-Man to the ghosts. What's cool is if you draw an ameoba shaped or derforrmed Pac-Man, THAT'S what comes to life, as long as it can be recognized as a Pac-Man shape!! Then he'll move in straight lines, and you have to draw walls and corners to guide him aroud.

Mario Kart: Duh.

Mario 64x4: A 4 player versus game based on the Mario 64 engine.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Dragon Warrior Monsters

Egg Monster Hero: Square's Hanjuku Eiyuu series finally coming stateside?
Old 05-12-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on board with the DS.

Animal Crossing, Mario, and Metroid sold me.

The rest is just icing on the cake.
Old 05-12-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
i didn't know that FF:CC was slated to come out. Is it a direct port, or a new adventure?
Old 05-12-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by noonan4224
i didn't know that FF:CC was slated to come out. Is it a direct port, or a new adventure?
I think they said it was a new game based on the same play mechanics of the Cube version.
Old 05-12-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Nice.
Old 05-12-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
It's the 802.11b wireless gaming over the internet that I like. I hate the fact that I don't have enough friends that have a gameboy advance to play four swords - four player mode. With connectivity over the internet, I may finally be able to play it. Yeah Four player games here I come.

I am waiting to see the real price point.
Old 05-12-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was certainly interested in the DS before, but the last couple days have gotten me even more excited. It appears to me that the big focus of the system is great portable multiplayer, which is fine by me as I am sure some of my friends will be on board as well.

Overall though, I think Nintendo has a system that can be used to do some very interesting things. I can't wait to see what else is announced, although I still want to see support for my SP as well.
Old 05-12-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by goLUCKY
I hate the fact that I don't have enough friends that have a gameboy advance to play four swords - four player mode.
Oh man. I hate to hear that. 4 player Four Swords is easily, with nothing even coming close, the finest multi-player gaming I have ever had. It was SO well designed and balanced, you could play with Zelda experts or newbies and the game would even our the rupees to give everyone a fair chance of winning. Plus, the fact that the entire game is a competition but it FORCES you to cooperate to progress was just genius.. pure genius.

The only downside was having to be so damn close because of the wiring. Problem now solved.
Old 05-12-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are some great hands-on impressions from GameSpy.com:

http://gba.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/m.../513315p1.html

Old 05-12-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is some more info from GameSpot.com:

--Short-range wireless enabling up to 16 players to go head-to head at distances up to 100 feet.
--Wi-Fi for times when no other DS users are within 100 feet.
--2 media bays, one for DS software, which Fils-Aime said could be as large as "one gigabit of data and beyond," and one for GBA games enabling backward compatibility.
--Built-in microphone for voice control.
--Each screen is programmable in either 2 or 3-d, and they can be used together to show one very large character or scene.

Also here is the link from their hands-on impressions:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05...s_6097113.html
Old 05-12-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CreatureX
they can be used together to show one very large character or scene.
Which could mean some great vertical monitor arcade games being put out properly!! Where is Namco Museum now?! ..and.. and SHOOTERS!! Oh yes. That could be cool (if the space between the 2 screens isn't that big of a problem, of course).
Old 05-12-04, 12:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

So far I'm loving all the specs and the sheer versatility of this system. They've jammed EVERYTHING in there. I can't wait to see the wide variety of games developers come up with. With two screens, the touch screen, microphone, wi-fi, extra buttons, and everything else, I can't even begin to anticipate the rich gameplay we'll see.

Simply awesome. With this and the surprise Zelda announcement over on the Cube, I really think we're seeing Nintendo's resurgence.
Old 05-12-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Damn it Nintendo you've done it again!!! I have to work tonight but thank god Im going to E3 . I cant wait to see all this greatness!
Old 05-12-04, 03:38 PM

Animal Crossing...hell yeah. This system is now a must purchase. Hurry Nintendo and set the price, the date and the final design. Looks like I'll be trading in a SP for the Classic NES SP and another towards the DS.

Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart, Mario 64x4, Wario Ware, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe and maybe a Sonic title. They weren't kidding when they said 30 titles would debut at E3. Picto chat sounds like it may be built in. "Smoke break", to my friends across our huge office building, I can see it now. I wonder what's instore for the microphone?
Old 05-12-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jediwicz
I wonder what's instore for the microphone?
Hey You, Pikachu!
Old 05-12-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WarioWare DS -- Wow. If you thought the simple micro-games in WarioWare for GBA or GCN were a hoot, just wait until you try the DS version. The stylus really adds a whole new dimension to the simple fun of WarioWare. In one game you had to keep rubbing the screen as if you were applying charcoal on paper to reveal an image. One quickie had four objects on screen that required you to draw a line between the matching pairs. Another had you drawing a line between a boy and a girl to bring them together. Still another had you touching three dice in the proper ascending numerical order. Yet another had you painting someone's nails with the stylus acting as the brush. Wait there's more! One game had you slicing vegetables. Another had you scratching Wario's back. There were like five other minis I saw and I was really impressed with all the different things you can do with a stylus in terms of gaming.

Metroid Prime: Hunter -- From a technical standpoint, this was the most impressive DS title I saw. This first-person shooter looked incredible. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a Nintendo 64 FPS that looked as good as this game. It also had one of the most unusual and interesting control schemes I've ever seen. You can control your character's left, right, up, and down movements with the d-pad or (if you're lefty) use the face buttons to control direction. With the stylus you can change the direction the character is looking at, fire your weapon, and charge your weapon. With a simple flick of the stylus, you character can look left while still being moved forward by the d-pad. Tapping on the screen sends a single shot, while holding the stylus down charges the weapon for a bigger blast. Controlling a game with a d-pad in conjunction with a stylus was one of the most unique gaming experiences I've had in recent years. This game looks amazing and plays great already.

Pac-Pix -- This was probably my favorite game out of the ones I saw. In this title, the level is a standard sheet of loose-leaf paper. Hand-drawn ghosts appear on the sheet, and you must draw a Pac-Man and guide it with simple lines to defeat them. You only have a finite amount of ink that can only be replenished by eating ghosts. Depending on how much ink you have, you can draw a giant Pac-Man that eats everything on screen or a plethora of Pac-Men that attack multiple ghosts. The game is most inventive and lots of fun. I was told that Shigeru Miyamoto himself said, "I'm a bit jealous of this one."

Pac 'n Roll -- This was another game that showed the use of the dual screens and the stylus. The top screen displayed a fairly standard looking 3D Pac-Man level. The gameplay is the same: eat dots, avoid ghosts, eat power pills, and eat ghosts. What made if different was the way in which you controlled Pac-Man. Using the stylus to roll Pac-Man along the bottom of the screen, Pac-Man moved as if you were controlling him via trackball. You can change the direction and speed by adjusting your stylus movements.
Old 05-12-04, 09:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

how big can ds cartridge get?
Old 05-12-04, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
1.2 gig is what some Nintendo girl said. Hmm.
Old 05-13-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Gigabit not gigabyte I thought though right?
By the way when is this supposed to be released?
Old 05-13-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering what a gigabyte of flash memory would cost I'm sure its gigabit.
Old 05-13-04, 07:23 PM

IGN has an intereview with Miyamoto and he said something that caught my attention:

But just because there's two screens doesn't mean you have to use two screens. And even though we have wireless capabilities in the system, it doesn't mean every game has to be wireless compatible. And just because there's a microphone in the system doesn't mean you have to put in voice recognition into your game. And you don't even have to take advantage of the pressure control system. We think this is a system where developers have freedom to choose what to incorporate into their games.
Pressure control system? Are the buttons and d-pad 'pressure sensitive'? It would make sense being as the DS is 3D. Instead of having an analog stick you could just press the d-pad softly to move your character slowly and harder to run. Of course I could totally be misinterpreting what Miyamoto said...anybody here who actually attended E3 and got to try the DS notice any such feature?
Old 05-13-04, 07:56 PM

An all new 2D Mario Platformer like Mario 1, 3, and Mario World?
Saw a few pics.

Well, braid my hair and call me Pollyanna. Theres something I never thought I would see again.

That right there is enough for me to get this system.

Last edited by ClownFace666; 05-13-04 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

here people

MarioKart DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Super Mario Bros New
Animal Crossing DS
Wario Ware Inc DS
PictoChat

forgot one lol

Super Mario 64X4

Last edited by glassdragon; 05-13-04 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Great news...

Nintendo included a REGULAR Headphone jack this time around...so you won't need to buy 'special' headphones.

The DS is left-handed. You can use the ABXY buttons as a D-Pad and the D-Pad as the ABXY buttons. A little weird, but atleast they thought of 1/9th of you!
Old 05-14-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Wow, it looks like a great system. I'm glad it seems like it isn't going to be the next Virtual Boy. One thing that I am curious about is that they don't claim that it is the successor to the GBA. Maybe one of the other posters was correct and this really is the next GBA they just didn't anounce it for fear of taking the wind out of the GBA sails.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.