DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Should I buy the Lynx or the 3DO (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/363662-should-i-buy-lynx-3do.html)

chemosh6969 05-11-04 09:06 PM

Should I buy the Lynx or the 3DO

I found an amazing price for each of them and it's tearing me up inside trying to choose. Please help.

illennium 05-11-04 09:17 PM

I have both. The Lynx was my first portable system, and the 3D0 was my first console. I recommend the Lynx. It has a lot of great games, most of which are available cheap. I especially recommend the following games:

Chip's Challenge
Todd's Adventures in Slime World
Zarlor Mercenary
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Shadow of the Beast
Electrocop

SpaceBoy 05-11-04 09:18 PM

Atari Lynx? Get that thing, it's sweet... Esp. if you get california games, chips challenge etc..

Then again I sold mine from lack of use, it's still sweet...

Gallant Pig 05-11-04 09:37 PM

What's amazing? Both.

Trevor 05-11-04 09:55 PM

The Lynx is a great system. I'm still bitter that it didn't beat out the gameboy back in the day.

I had 2 back then, and my friends and I loved the 2 player Warbirds, Checkered Flag, Slime world, and California Games.

I just bought 2 more on ebay and now need to find a couple more comlynx cables for some 4 player action!

Trevor 05-11-04 09:58 PM

I imagine that the deal you found is $20 or less each, so I would get both.

But 3 things in the Lynx' favor:

1 - portability of course
2 - they are cheap, so getting a 2nd for linking up is easy
3 - the games are super cheap on ebay, like $15 for a dozen different games

Lastblade 05-11-04 10:17 PM

S.T.U.N. Runner on Lynx. That's all I got to say! :D

Abranut 05-11-04 10:28 PM

That's like asking the question: Would you rather get hit in the nuts with a ball-peen hammer or a rubber mallet?

But seriously, I would recommend the 3DO. It had this trippy cd player that you could control the psychedelic effects with the controller.

Gizmo 05-12-04 12:52 AM

Lynx. 3d0 had some craptacular games

RudeBoie 05-12-04 02:16 AM

You wouldn't be referring to Way of the Warrior are you : P

3D0 was an alright system.

I do love the Lynx though.

xmiyux 05-12-04 06:22 AM

I would go with the Lynx, but that is because i'm jealous and would love to snag one cheap myself. It's all about California Games and Xenophobia!

nemein 05-12-04 06:46 AM

Re: Should I buy the Lynx or the 3DO

Originally posted by chemosh6969
I found an amazing price for each of them and it's tearing me up inside trying to choose. Please help.
Is this some place you can share the deal on or is it one of a kind? (AKA I'd be interested in picking up a Lynx if the price is right ;)).

Noonan 05-12-04 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Lastblade
S.T.U.N. Runner on Lynx. That's all I got to say! :D

Agreed

Debaser 05-12-04 08:21 AM

I had so much fun with the old school consoles that most systems now like xbox and playstation 2 don't have the same charm of either of these systems. I guess I'm stuck in the past have my head in the clouds.

The Franchise 05-12-04 10:33 AM

I have both lynx systems in pristine condition (both the original one and the revised smaller one) with a carrying case and almost all the games available for (I have ~24 I think; Stun Runner included of course). What could I get for all that?

8 player slime world was so much fun back in junior high. That and California games 4 player BMX action.

Trevor 05-12-04 01:39 PM

Lynx prices vary wildly on ebay. Systems can go as cheap as $15 or over $100 depending on the games. A few of the games are quite rare apparently.

nemein 05-12-04 01:49 PM

Originally posted by The Franchise
I have both lynx systems in pristine condition (both the original one and the revised smaller one) with a carrying case and almost all the games available for (I have ~24 I think; Stun Runner included of course). What could I get for all that?

8 player slime world was so much fun back in junior high. That and California games 4 player BMX action.

Interested in selling it here/trading for games/DVDs? Drop me a line if you are ;)

illennium 05-12-04 02:56 PM

Originally posted by The Franchise
I have... almost all the games available for (I have ~24 I think; Stun Runner included of course).
There were about 80 games produced for the Lynx, not including homebrews. I have about 40 of them.

ecwfan 05-12-04 08:52 PM

I have both systems and would personally recommend the 3DO. The 3DO had a lot of cool games like Bust a Move, Return Fire, Star Control 2 and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo just to name a few. But the decision comes down to whether you want a portable gaming system or an actual console.