DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   PS2 Online Combo Pack $149.99 (NEW PRICE CUT) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/363579-ps2-online-combo-pack-%24149-99-new-price-cut.html)

Jtnguyen12 05-11-04 02:11 PM

PS2 Online Combo Pack $149.99 (NEW PRICE CUT)

Checkout Ebgames & Gamestop already DROP they PRice from $199.99 to $149.99. Also, PS2 itself is still $149.99 (i thought it $129.99)

http://ebgames.com/ebx/categories/sy...lt.asp?sys=ps2

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/bundle/ps...okie%5Ftest=1&

Here's the Article

Sony cuts PlayStation 2 to $149

Price for No. 1 video game console slashed to match that of arch-rival Microsoft's Xbox.
May 11, 2004: 2:30 PM EDT
By Chris Morris, CNN/Money staff writer

LOS ANGELES (CNN/Money) - Sony Corp. is finally cutting the price for its popular PlayStation 2 to $149 from $179 after seeing its popular video game console slip to second place for the first time in 45 months in April.

The announcement follows Microsoft's decision in March to cut the price of its Xbox console, also to $149.99.

Sony's move is meant to ensure that Xbox's ascendance in the monthly sales rankings doesn't become the norm.

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Follow the news that matters to you. Create your own alert to be notified on topics you're interested in.

Or, visit Popular Alerts for suggestions.

Manage alerts | What is this?

The cuts apply to both standalone PlayStation 2 and the popular combination pack, which includes an adaptor for online play and the game "ATV Fury 2." The combination pack previously sold for $199.

Despite dropping a notch in the sales charts last month, the PS2 is by far the world's best selling video game machine. Sony has sold more than 71.3 million PS2s worldwide, compared to 13.7 million Xboxes and 13.9 million Nintendo GameCubes.

Industry observers have been waiting for Sony to match or exceed the Microsoft (MSFT: Research, Estimates) price reductions, though many had speculated Sony would not act until later this year.

But Xbox sales topped PS2 sales in April. The company does not like being perceived as anything other than a market leader, say analysts, which might have contributed to the decision to cut now.

Sony (SNE: Research, Estimates) last cut the PS2 prices last May to $179.99 from $199.99. It also introduced the online bundle for $199.99. This bundle has been the product many retailers have chosen to promote most heavily.

While it remains the industry leader, Sony has been feeling the pinch from not lowering PS2 prices earlier.

U.S. sales of the machine sank 37 percent last year, a much bigger drop than most industry analysts were expecting. In late April the company forecast shipments for the current fiscal year would fall another 30 percent.

Jtnguyen12 05-11-04 02:33 PM

Bestbuy have it for $149.99 too :)

Notes: I think SONY try to Clean out "PS2 Online Combo Pack" as soon as possible. when it gone is GONE.

spankyj 05-11-04 03:05 PM

Good stuff - I'll definitely pick up another online pack at that price...

Jtnguyen12 05-11-04 04:14 PM

You think it worth if I pickup PS2 Online Combo Pack w/ Free Game for $200 at Bestbuy this week and Received 40,000 Reward Zone Point... Then... Pricematch later next week received extra 10% off lowest price guarantee.

Hmmmm... wonder how much 40,000 Reward Zone Point in Gift Certificate ??

nickdawgy 05-11-04 06:46 PM

Dang it...

I bought a PS2 14 days ago, and stupid Wal-Mart will only adjust the price after 10 days. That is so lame.

I knew this would happen.....

DaBargainHunta 05-11-04 07:03 PM

Nick, I hate to rub salt in an open wound, but you should've known to wait until at least E3 for possible price drop news. :)

Still, you could go there and try your luck w/ the price adjust. They might go for it. They are usually pretty good with customer service. It's not like you bought it 14 MONTHS ago. Only 14 days ago. Just don't waste any more time. Go ASAP.

nickdawgy 05-11-04 07:28 PM

Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
Nick, I hate to rub salt in an open wound, but you should've known to wait until at least E3 for possible price drop news. :)

Still, you could go there and try your luck w/ the price adjust. They might go for it. They are usually pretty good with customer service. It's not like you bought it 14 MONTHS ago. Only 14 days ago. Just don't waste any more time. Go ASAP.

Yeah, I know I should have waited. The problem is, when I got my PS2, I had just found a Wal-Mart cash card laying around my house that'd I'd forgotten about, so I said "what the heck" and used it :D

I wonder if I could just say the PS2 is defective, and then exchange it for the online pack since it's the same price. The system has kind of been a little jumpy, so it's not really a lie.

It's the next best thing as to not getting a price match I guess.

klawansky 05-12-04 10:05 AM

Circuit City has the PS2 Online Combo Pack w/ Free Game, with dvd remote for $149 (free shipping also). I think that might be the best deal in town right now.

Altough the dvd remote is on back order. To get the deal right now should still be possible if you just go to one of their brick and morter stores.

Michael

Barney1234 05-12-04 12:26 PM

no intrest on the PS2.
But the PS3, oh yeah!!!

Mercury 05-12-04 04:10 PM

Originally posted by klawansky
Circuit City has the PS2 Online Combo Pack w/ Free Game, with dvd remote for $149 (free shipping also).
Michael

I just checked out circuitcity.com and didn't see the dvd remote offer. Do you have a link?

Mercury 05-15-04 02:46 AM

Another question, do the models with the "+" in yellow on the packaging have a remote off function. I read a rumor about being able to turn the power off from the remote control but I'm not sure this actually made it into the hardware.

I picked up the online pack today from BB $149.99. Then went to EB and got R-Type Final. With this game, FF X-2 and CoN I'll be pretty happy for awhile.

nickdawgy 05-15-04 08:15 AM

I believe the ones with the + are the progressive scan, quieter models, and they indeed do have the ability to turn off with the remote.

Unfortunately when I picked up mine at Circuit City, it was an old model. I didn't see any new model online bundles.

Mercury 05-15-04 02:06 PM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I believe the ones with the + are the progressive scan, quieter models, and they indeed do have the ability to turn off with the remote.
Nice!

How do I make sure I buy the right Sony PS2 remote? I'll see if it's in the manual. The original ones didn't have a power off button. Remot power off is a big thumbs up for me. Hope we see it in next gen consoles as well.

nickdawgy 05-15-04 08:46 PM

I remote I have now has a green reset button in the top right hand corner. It says SCPH 10420 on the back, maybe that is a different model number then the older remotes?

trigun 05-17-04 05:50 PM

Picked up the online combo pack with the ATV game for $149 - $30 mail-in rebate at FYE. $119 plus tax ain't too bad.