DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   xbox memory card question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/363010-xbox-memory-card-question.html)

mrmagoo 05-07-04 10:15 PM

xbox memory card question

Ok, heres the deal.

Last I knew, EB had this trade in program where you take your xbox, a controller, and halo to trade it for the new limited edition "halo xbox" plus you pay 79.99. I want to do this bigtime for a number of reasons.

I hear the new xbox looks pretty darn sleek.

I have had my xbox since launch and I think this is a cool inexpensive way to get a new one considering all the "ware and tear" I put on my current one.

Now, here is my problem....I DONT WANT TO LOSE MY SAVED GAMES!!!!!

Is there any way you can hook the xbox up to a pc, possibly via an ethernet cable and transfer the data on your computer? Yeah I know, its wishful thinking....

Which brings me to my question. How many "blocks" does an 8 meg memory card hold? How many "blocks" are in a Meg? I have some games like PGR2 that are memory hogs, and I want to know how many memory cards I may have to buy so I can transfer my saved games to the new xbox, IF I buy it. Thanks!!!

xlpanda 05-07-04 11:05 PM

not sure about the xbox-pc thing but there was a earlier thread about using those jump drives and a special usb-xbox cable. The cable is like 9.99 on the site but you had to make sure you bought a compatible 64/128/256m unit. That allowed you to have a really big memory unit. I think the standard 8m xbox memory units is like 500 blocks.

using the above method however does not guarantee that you can move every game save...certain games like knight of the old republic just doesnt let you copy it...search for the thread because it was much more detailed than this reply...

Joshic 05-10-04 04:45 PM

The thread for hooking up a USB flash drive to the Xbox via a Xbox-to-USB adapter is here.

If you want to transfer over your saves from games that don't normally allow you to (such as DOA3, DOAX, KOTOR, Steel Battalion, Ninja Gaiden), then you need to FTP the files off your drive. If you don't want to mod your xbox, and you have Mechassault or 007 Agent Under Fire, you can try the save game exploit, which takes you to a screen that allows FTP access to your HD from a PC that is networked to your xbox. Use FTP to backup your Xbox's HD data, then do the same thing with the new xbox to restore the HD data. For instructions, go here. You only need to do steps 1-4.

Drexl 05-12-04 01:58 AM

Yep, the software exploit with FTP is just what I thought of, but I wasn't sure if we were allowed to discuss that here. Just remember that you need a crossover cable to connect directly from the XBox to the PC. I use a router, so I use a standard ethernet CAT-5 cable.