Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony to cancel 2004 sports lineup for the PS2

Old 05-06-04, 02:35 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 830
Sony to cancel 2004 sports lineup for the PS2

Surprised that it appears that nobody's mentioned this after the interest MS received for its identical decision. Sony's cancelling this years' releases in the two best-selling sports (football and basketball... both pro and college) to enable increased quality from a two-year development cycle.

So much for the theory of the quid pro quo of 'EA goes Live if MS withdraws from sports'.

Anybody looking at the sales charts should have realized both 989 and MS are gnats that can't stop EA from doing whatever it wants.

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 05-06-04 at 02:37 PM.
mr.snowmizer is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 02:54 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
It's probably because people around here would like to see MS fail.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 02:57 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,187
Maybe there is a lot of relief that we will only be exposed to half as many 989 games.
Jeremy517 is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 03:01 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,567
They have no chance of catching up to Sega and EA in terms of quality and depth. That production money is better spent on platform gaming.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 03:12 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
I know a guy who thinks Gameday is the best football game ever made.
PixyJunket is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 03:15 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,361
Ooof...people still play Gameday (or any 989 sports for that matter)?
Gizmo is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 03:30 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 830
989 has a very respectable baseball game now.
mr.snowmizer is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 03:32 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Blu-Ray: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Petition
Posts: 6,677
Originally posted by Trigger
It's probably because people around here would like to see MS fail.
I think it is the complete opposite on these boards.

The truth is, Sony isn't as reliant on their sports games as Microsoft is. Microsoft made a big deal last E3 about their XSN (Xbox Sports Network) and how it would be the greatest way for people to play sports games. And how it was so superior to what EA was doing on PS2. They dropped those games so it looked like the whole XSN idea was being flushed down the toilet.

Sony has never put much stock in their sports games. Sure, they advertise them and keep putting them out, but they also realize that they are never big sellers and never will be. Its mostly used as an outlet to show case new technology that they hope other game producers will pick up on (like the face capture technology used in their new MLB game).

Its just a different strategy. No need to spin this into a hate for Microsoft.
joshd2012 is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 03:33 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 830
Originally posted by DVD Josh
They have no chance of catching up to Sega and EA in terms of quality and depth. That production money is better spent on platform gaming.
It's more accurate to say they can't catch up on sales. The big two have already been beaten in one of the sports, in terms of quality and depth (Microsoft with Inside Drive), and perhaps only 50,000 customers noticed.
mr.snowmizer is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 03:37 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 830
Originally posted by joshd2012
Sony has never put much stock in their sports games. Sure, they advertise them and keep putting them out, but they also realize that they are never big sellers and never will be.
Wonderful analysis in a thread detailing the fact that Sony is not just planning to "keep putting them out".
mr.snowmizer is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 03:42 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Blu-Ray: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Petition
Posts: 6,677
Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Wonderful analysis in a thread detailing the fact that Sony is not just planning to "keep putting them out".
If Sony had much stock in their product, they could not afford to skip a year. Think if EA decided to skip a year; it would be devistating to their business. Because Sony will just keep putting them out, they can skip a year and not be hurt too bad.

If you want to analyze my comments, do so intelligently.
joshd2012 is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 04:03 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by joshd2012
I think it is the complete opposite on these boards.

The truth is, Sony isn't as reliant on their sports games as Microsoft is. Microsoft made a big deal last E3 about their XSN (Xbox Sports Network) and how it would be the greatest way for people to play sports games. And how it was so superior to what EA was doing on PS2. They dropped those games so it looked like the whole XSN idea was being flushed down the toilet.

Sony has never put much stock in their sports games. Sure, they advertise them and keep putting them out, but they also realize that they are never big sellers and never will be. Its mostly used as an outlet to show case new technology that they hope other game producers will pick up on (like the face capture technology used in their new MLB game).

Its just a different strategy. No need to spin this into a hate for Microsoft.
XSN isn't scrapped at all. They just aren't making baseball, basketball or football games for it this year. There are other XSN games and perhaps they'll get EA to go with the XSN tag. Anyway - most people on this forum seemed to think that Microsoft's sports games were crap... that's how that thread went anyway.

Don't try and turn this into me spinning anything - the OP related this to the MS thing and said he was surprised nobody mentioned the Sony news... I merely suggested a possible reason why. Regardless of what you think, this forum is pretty much split on the console thing with at least half (and likely a majority) of us thinking the xbox is crappy or inferior. It used to be alot worse before KOTOR came out.

Anyway - I'm not trying to take this discussion down that path - I actually think it's a shame that MS and Sony cancelled their respective sports titles - variety is the spice of life. I'm kinda sick of EA being so dominant. Competition drives both companies to make improvements - with less competition, EA will simply churn out the same game over and over. And aside from all that, there's always someone who preferred Sony's or Microsoft's games.

I don't really play sports games anyway except for soccer, snowboarding, tennis, volleyball, and stuff like that. I'm not into football, baseball or basketball.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 06:27 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Blu-Ray: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Petition
Posts: 6,677
Originally posted by Trigger
XSN isn't scrapped at all. They just aren't making baseball, basketball or football games for it this year. There are other XSN games and perhaps they'll get EA to go with the XSN tag. Anyway - most people on this forum seemed to think that Microsoft's sports games were crap... that's how that thread went anyway.
I didn't say XSN was scrapped. I only said that they made it look like it was being scrapped. That is why the thread was posted.

Don't try and turn this into me spinning anything - the OP related this to the MS thing and said he was surprised nobody mentioned the Sony news... I merely suggested a possible reason why. Regardless of what you think, this forum is pretty much split on the console thing with at least half (and likely a majority) of us thinking the xbox is crappy or inferior. It used to be alot worse before KOTOR came out.

Anyway - I'm not trying to take this discussion down that path - I actually think it's a shame that MS and Sony cancelled their respective sports titles - variety is the spice of life. I'm kinda sick of EA being so dominant. Competition drives both companies to make improvements - with less competition, EA will simply churn out the same game over and over. And aside from all that, there's always someone who preferred Sony's or Microsoft's games.
Your suggestion that most people here would like to see MS fail is unfounded. You are putting a spin on it whether you care to admit it or not. This forum is heavily favored towards the Xbox and I can point you to threads where people admit that openly.

Microsoft never really competed with EA. The heavy competition was between EA and Sega. Those two companies push each other to develop their games heavily. The removal of Sony or Microsoft from that arena would do nothing to stop that. While some people will be very disappointed in the with the lack of Sony and Microsoft sports games this year, they are in the small minority of people who prefer those games over those developed by MS and Sega.
joshd2012 is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 06:32 PM
  #14  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
The forum has people that support the X-box and people that want it to fail. Same for the other two systems. I don't think anyone system gets crapped on really any more or less than the others.
Josh H is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 08:19 PM
  #15  
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
The forum has people that support the X-box and people that want it to fail. Same for the other two systems. I don't think anyone system gets crapped on really any more or less than the others.
Well said, now let's try and stay ontopic guys.
Gallant Pig is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 09:25 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 830
Originally posted by joshd2012
If you want to analyze my comments, do so intelligently.

Okay.

Your post stated that Sony doesn't care, has never cared, and never will care about the sales of their sports games. This is because Sony goes into each season with low expectations, and they still get the benefit of using them as a showcase for technology. Therefore, they're happy to keep putting them out...



... in a thread devoted to the fact that they just cancelled upcoming games, obviously because of sales.


What did I miss?
mr.snowmizer is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 09:34 PM
  #17  
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
Aren't they just focusing on making the next gen console games instead of worrying about the next iteration of PS2? It's not really because of sales, it's to make a killer/pretty app for PS3 right?
Gallant Pig is offline  
Old 05-06-04, 10:10 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
madcougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,689
Uh oh. Looks like Sony and MS are both going exclusively console.
madcougar is offline  
Old 05-07-04, 12:05 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 830
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Aren't they just focusing on making the next gen console games instead of worrying about the next iteration of PS2? It's not really because of sales, it's to make a killer/pretty app for PS3 right?
If they were making a killing every year, they'd find a way to attempt both.

Instead, they're getting killed.
mr.snowmizer is offline  
Old 05-07-04, 12:06 AM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Blu-Ray: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Petition
Posts: 6,677
Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
... in a thread devoted to the fact that they just cancelled upcoming games, obviously because of sales.

What did I miss?
The fact that they aren't canceling because of sales, but rather because they don't have a good enough improvement over last year's version to need a newer version. They do not have a good improvement because they do not heavily invest in research and development like EA and Sega do. They aren't focused on the games, and so they are going to skip a year.
joshd2012 is offline  
Old 05-07-04, 12:25 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 830
Originally posted by joshd2012
The fact that they aren't canceling because of sales, but rather because they don't have a good enough improvement over last year's version to need a newer version. They do not have a good improvement because they do not heavily invest in research and development like EA and Sega do. They aren't focused on the games, and so they are going to skip a year.
So you're saying 989 is holding back because they just can't find a way to deliver a high-quality enough product?

Let's all that that idea sink in... 989 requires quality for a release.


mr.snowmizer is offline  
Old 05-07-04, 02:36 AM
  #22  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Blu-Ray: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Petition
Posts: 6,677
Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
So you're saying 989 is holding back because they just can't find a way to deliver a high-quality enough product?

Let's all that that idea sink in... 989 requires quality for a release.


Being the original poster, I'm sure you have already read the original news post, but here is just a reminder incase you forgot.

A spokesman said the company intends to bring the football and basketball games back in 2005, taking the interim time to work on game development and make the titles more competitive.
So yes, that is exactly what I am saying.
joshd2012 is offline  
Old 05-07-04, 01:21 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 830
What exactly do you think "more competitive" means?

That's hardly obscure PR-speak.
mr.snowmizer is offline  
Old 05-07-04, 02:34 PM
  #24  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Blu-Ray: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Petition
Posts: 6,677
Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
What exactly do you think "more competitive" means?

That's hardly obscure PR-speak.
Sony can't deliver a high enough quality product to compete in the second-tier sports game category. If they cared about sales at all, they would scrap 989 Studios all together and put that funding into their other first party games which sell much much better. They would release a game this year, but they have nothing of noticable improvement to release, so they aren't. They are taking the year off to provide a sutable product next year (maybe). For all we know, this could be the beggining of the end for 989 Studios.

That is what they are doing. I don't see how you are reading anything else out of this.
joshd2012 is offline  
Old 05-07-04, 03:18 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Space Junk Galaxy
Posts: 2,471
I still think EA has a part in this. Sony's 989 sports have been crap for the last several years. Why would they care about "quality" now? Also losing a season of football, basketball, games just means that both MS and Sony will lose whatever fans they had to EA. Sony/MS can spin this news any way they want, but that doesn't change the fact that the only one who gains from these cancellations is EA.
CreatureX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.