Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Questions about Xbox live?

Old 05-06-04, 08:20 AM

Questions about Xbox live?

I'm not much into online gaming but I was wondering if it was worth getting an account (probably just using one of the multiple free trial offers I have lying around) for the extra downloadable content. I see they have things for MechAssault, Brute Force, Unreal, and I thought they said there was going to be extra spells for the Magic game but I don't see anything about that on the website off hand. Anyway my main questions are...

1) The content seems to be free (according to the website) but is it kept on the XBL server or actually downloaded to your Xbox (aka do you have to be online to use it, or does it depend upon the game/content)?

2) Do you have to have the game to download the content? For example I don't have Crimson Skies right now but will probably buy it eventually. If I do set up the trial account it would be nice to be able to pillage everything from it I can right now instead of having to keep the account or setup another one later

3) Are there wireless devices that can be used to connect the Xbox up? I have linksys wireless/DSL router box and would prefer to use wireless instead of trying to run a cable throughout the house.

TIA
Old 05-06-04, 08:27 AM

I've only been on Xbox Live for a couple weeks, but I'll answer what I can:

1. It is downloaded to your Xbox. Take the original Splinter Cell, for example. You can download some bonus missions to your Xbox, which you then play offline in the single player game. I also went to play a Crimson Skies online game, but I first had to download a new plane and map before I could play that particular game (and I believe that was because someone had chose the new plane as their plane for the match). I'm not sure if there's a general download area you can go to to "pillage" things for games you don't yet own, though. I've found the Xbox Magazine demo discs good for that, as they'll include game saves, etc. (even those Splinter Cell bonus missions) on their discs.

2. Kinda touched on that in #1--I think you DO need to own the game to download the content, but someone may correct me on that. By the way, I believe the new Xbox Live Starter Kit comes with Crimson Skies packed in now (again someone correct me if I'm mistaken here).

3. Absolutely. In fact, that's how I am connected. Microsoft makes an Xbox wireless-g adapter that you can find just about anywhere (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) for $99. Might find it cheaper elsewhere, but in my shopping around it was that price everywhere. I had to buy a router as well since I didn't own one, but you should be set just buying the wireless adapter. Both 802.11b and g are supported.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-06-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. most stuff is free (so far). a few things are for pay - like the Links 2004 course and DDRUltra songs.

2. yes, you need the game. there's usually a submenu for "download" and it will show you what you can get. for system updates, it will notify you when you boot up w/ no disc.

3. check amazon once in a while for the MS wireless adapter - the price keeps fluctuating, but i've seen it as low as $60. i use it as well and works great.

--
i had a ton of those 2 month trials (most of which are expired i think) but imo, it's kind of a hassle to setup a new account for each trial period (new gamertag?). considering that a month is $5, for me, they weren't worth using.

also, some people don't like it if you don't have a headset.
Old 05-06-04, 12:34 PM

1. Mechassault is also offering pay content now, but that's only 3 games out of many. The content all goes into your game data on the Hard drive. You download it once, and it is yours as long as you have your Xbox. If you get a new xbox, you have to DL it all again.

2. Yes. You must have the game in order to DL the content. However, OXM often puts some of the downloadable content on their demo discs.
3. What they said. ^
Old 05-07-04, 05:39 AM

Thanks all... I guess I'll wait a little bit to pick up some more games (Crimson Skies, Secret Weapons..., Unreal) before signing up
Old 05-08-04, 08:07 AM

One other question came to mind... can you xfer the d/l content between Xboxes via the memory modules?
Old 05-30-04, 11:27 PM

I have two Xboxes connected to internet and I have one live account. My question is do I have to recover my account each time I want to use live on either Xbox? I realize I can not use my account at same time on both Xboxes, but I do not want to have to enter all my info everytime I go live.

Thanks...
Old 05-31-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by drbuns
1. Mechassault is also offering pay content now, but that's only 3 games out of many. The content all goes into your game data on the Hard drive. You download it once, and it is yours as long as you have your Xbox. If you get a new xbox, you have to DL it all again.
What is the premium content for Mechassault?
Old 05-31-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by xmiyux
What is the premium content for Mechassault?
from IGN:
Mechassault broke new ground as the first Xbox Live enabled title to offer the magic of downloadable content. For 2003, MechAssault takes another step in defining the Xbox Live experience as it becomes the first game to charge for downloadable content. Right now, gamers can log onto Xbox Live and grab two new multiplayer game types: Check It and Take It. The new content comes with three new maps and the whole package will be available for the one-time fee of $4.99.

The seemingly innocuous step of having to enter a credit card number during the Xbox Live account activation sequence will make paying for the downloadable content instant and easy. The first new game, Check It, asks players to take control of various checkpoints and secure as many possible before the game ends. Take It has players fighting to capture the opponent's data core while, at the same time, defending their own. The three new maps are called City Under Siege, Magma Fields, Secret Outpost.

------------------
BTW Mechassault does have some free maps, mechs and CTF game mode for download as well.

Last edited by Decker; 05-31-04 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-31-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CyberZombie
I have two Xboxes connected to internet and I have one live account. My question is do I have to recover my account each time I want to use live on either Xbox? I realize I can not use my account at same time on both Xboxes, but I do not want to have to enter all my info everytime I go live.

Thanks...
Why don't you just copy your account info over via a memory card...you shouldn't have to go through recovery each time afterward.
Old 05-31-04, 10:32 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thats what I did. My roommate and I both have an xbox live account with our own xboxes. To make sure our online info stuff stays safe, we have the following setup.

My xbox has my profile and a back up of his. My memory card also has a backup of both profiles.

His xbox has his profile and a back up of mine. His memory card also has a backup of both profiles.

You can copy the profile from the xbox to memory card and then to the other xbox. I recommend keeping a backup on a memory card incase something horrible happens to your unit or you accidently delete your profile from the hard drive.

You can't really transfer downloaded content between xboxes as most content is at least a couple of megs and won't fit on the memory modules. Unless there is a larger memory unit.
Some of the downloaded content is pushing 8megs. And some, I think the ones you purchase, cannot be copied. I purchased the premium content for PGR2, and I cannot copy it to the other xbox.