DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Recommend GameCube games (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/362115-recommend-gamecube-games.html)

mookiemeister 05-03-04 08:49 PM

Recommend GameCube games

I just got a GameCube!! Yes. I'm a little behind. But I finally broke down and bought one. Now I need to find some good games to play on GameCube. For those GameCube guru's, please suggest some of the "must play" GameCube titles. Right now, I only have Metroid Prime I got from Circuit City.

Michael Corvin 05-03-04 08:55 PM

[sarcasm]The first one I would pick up would be called "Search Engine." It takes a lot of hand and eye coordination, and it really challenges your thinking skills.[/sarcasm]

young 05-03-04 09:01 PM

you can also get F Zero for $15 at circuit city right now.

i personally like:
Skies of Arcadia

would probably enjoy Pokemon Colosseum but i'm waiting for that to drop in price.

mookiemeister 05-03-04 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
[sarcasm]The first one I would pick up would be called "Search Engine." It takes a lot of hand and eye coordination, and it really challenges your thinking skills.[/sarcasm]
Thanks for the great tip. I'll do just that! ;)

jabbas 05-03-04 09:12 PM

If you're at all a fan of the Zelda series, Wind Waker is amazing. The cel shading graphics had me skeptical, but the gameplay is by far the best of any Zelda game, and the free-roaming format on the open seas is a blast. The cel shading animation really grows on you, and the game is simply amazing. I got a Cube about 15 months ago on some insane holiday deal (Cube + Metroid Prime for $48 combined), and the games I've played are Rogue Leader, Prime, and Zelda, all which were amazing.

msdmoney 05-03-04 09:40 PM

Here are the exclusives to get

1. Metroid Prime (you already got that, good choice)
2. Eternal Darkness (can probably find this for ~15 bucks, its a much more intelligent take on the survival horror genre IMO)
3. Zelda Wind Waker (Its zelda)
3. Mario Kart (better racing than the 64 version, still haven't given multiplayer enough of a try)
5. Pikmin (very unique and fun strategy game, plus its only 20 bucks)

Other non-exclusives:

1. Prince of Perisa: Sands of Time (one of the best games of last year, a great platformer)
1. tie Beyond Good and Evil (A great adventure game, with a great story that you play (as opposed to watching cutscenes), and tons of gameplay variety, also cheap--20 bucks.
2. Freedom Fighters (What a surprise this game was, great action game) also cheap 20 bucks.
3. Burnout (I've only played the first but the second is supposed to be better, and I found the first very entertaining, plus its 10 bucks at BB.

There are also many games I haven't played or played enough (although I own many of them) but have heard good things:
F-zero gx (pick it up for 15 at CC this week)
Legends: Skies of Arcadia
SSBM
Animal Crossing
Timesplitters 2
Metal Arms
I-Ninja
Super Monkey Ball

Games worth it if you can find em cheap
Mario Sunshine (wasn't to impressed after being blown away by Mario 64)
Star Fox Adventures (starts off real slow, but gets better later on, just an average game over all)

Brewc 05-03-04 09:44 PM

Viewtiful Joe! Pretty cool game, just bear with it and get the slo-mo, speed up and zoom powers. On the accesory side get a Wavebird first and if you have the inputs on a TV get the Hi Def cables from Nintendo, RGB. I got a set last week when then VJ and they make it look spectacular, probably will replay Metroid and Rouge Leader/Rebel Strike to see the difference.

Randy Miller III 05-03-04 10:16 PM

Super Smash Bros. Melee is tons of fun, but it's even better with multi-player mode. I'd also recommend the Resident Evil remake and the Midway/Namco arcade compilations. :up:

NC-36 05-03-04 10:38 PM

Eternal Darkness
Burnout 2
Midway Arcade Treasures

msdmoney 05-03-04 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Brewc
Viewtiful Joe! Pretty cool game, just bear with it and get the slo-mo, speed up and zoom powers. On the accesory side get a Wavebird first and if you have the inputs on a TV get the Hi Def cables from Nintendo, RGB. I got a set last week when then VJ and they make it look spectacular, probably will replay Metroid and Rouge Leader to see the difference.
Oh yeah forgot about VJ, I still need to pick that up.

I will also second the wavebird, don't wait, go get this now. Its a must, I could never go back to wired controllers.

Trevor 05-03-04 11:49 PM

I just pulled my Gamecube out and played some great multi-player games this evening.

Super Monkey Ball
Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee
Mario Kart
Soul Caliber
1080 Avalanche

As much as I love my Xbox, and buy 10 times as many games for it than my Cube, I think I have as much or more fun playing the above games than any Xbox or PS2 multiplayer games.

CreatureX 05-04-04 12:20 AM

Yes go and pick up F-Zero GX at Circuit City for $15! Also check out:

Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Mario Party 5
Star Wars Rebel Strike

Michael Corvin 05-04-04 07:07 AM

Alright, the first party games are a given. But I would recommend Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness.

stingo 05-04-04 11:15 AM

Although not exclusives - I did really enjoy Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and am going through Gladius on the 'cube. By all means if you can afford it, get a Wavebird - you'll find yourself picking GC games because you enjoy using it so much - I know I did.

SpaceBoy 05-04-04 01:51 PM

Gotta get
Monkey Ball 1 & 2 (If you only can get 1, I prefer the 1st over teh 2nd one still, and is cheaper)

Zelda Wind Waker
Mario Party or Wario Ware (or both)
MLB 2004
Tiger Woods 2003 (I prefer this one over the 2004, and again cheaper)
Eternal Darkness
Bomberman (Fun game, but think I'm in the minority on this title)

Josh H 05-04-04 03:56 PM

Zelda Wind Waker
Star Wars Rogue Leader (just rent Rebel Strike IMO, it's not as good, and much easier)
Eternal Darkness
Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Super Mario Sunshine
The RE remake if the series is your cup of tea.

SpacemanSpiff 05-04-04 03:56 PM

damn fzero is cheap
its worth the 50 i paid for it

bigsoos 05-04-04 04:32 PM

wow, no FF: Crystal Chronicles recommendations yet?

Michael Corvin 05-04-04 09:37 PM

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
Gotta get
Monkey Ball 1 & 2 (If you only can get 1, I prefer the 1st over teh 2nd one still, and is cheaper)

I have both but rarely touch the first. It is a great game, but MB2 is worth it just for the multiplayer games. So much more to do. And Monkey Target is 100x better with all 4 players playing at once.

jediwicz 05-04-04 11:31 PM

Animal Crossing is a Players Choice title and worth every penny. I still check in on my town and it came out two years ago. The classic NES games are worth the price alone and if you have a GBA it's really worth it.

Wario World is now a Players Choice title and is an easy beat 'em up developed by Treasure but fun every minute. Ware Ware Inc: Mega Party Games is a hillarious multiplayer game and is 29.99.

Buy a Wavebird (or four). You have to.

dcprules 05-05-04 12:29 AM

I just got a gamecube not that long ago and only have a few titles, but I'm enjoying Starfox Adventures. Got it used for $5, and it's definitely a lengthy game. I think the graphics are great on it, plus it's pretty fun.

Apocrypha 05-05-04 11:57 AM

Grab a wavebird and a 251 Nintendo MC plus these exlusive GC games for a nice system

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Pokemon Colosseum
Animal Crossing
Viewtiful Joe
Eternal Darkness
Wario Ware Inc

my favorite stuff anyway

milo bloom 05-05-04 05:03 PM

I played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on the PS2 and enjoyed it, if the GC is the same it's a good recommendation.

As for Zelda Wind Waker, I just can't get into this or the other 3D Zelda games, but I love the top down Zelda's. So, forewarned.

And lastly, it's not very deep, and according to reviews it's pretty short, but I'm really enjoying Luigi's Mansion right now.

Lethal Nemesis 05-28-04 04:36 PM

Some really good recommendations here. I finally bought myself a Gamecube, memory card 251, and a wavebird, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I only have 2 games right now:

Resident Evil 0 (almost done with it)
Metroid Prime (bought it today)

And, I have the following on my "Games to Get" list:

Viewtiful Joe
Wind Waker
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Super Monkey Ball 2

Any other games to consider besides the ones already mentioned here? :)

zero 05-28-04 04:44 PM

Ikaruga
Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart Double Dash
Custom Robo (the single player game isnt all that but the multiplayer is great)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Mario Golf (to think I never liked golf games until this title)
Super Mario Sunshine
Time Splitters 2 (at leats until part 3 comes out)
Skies of Arcadia
Soul Calibur II
F-Zero GX
Viewtiful Joe
If you dont want a GBA SP then get a GameBoy player.

Coming soon that I'd look for

Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures
Tales of Symphonia
Killer 7
Resident Evil 4