DVD Talk Special Edition

Outrun 2 Xbox exclusive w/ LIVE + Major announcement from Sega @ E3

Here is the story from TeamXbox:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/5755/OutRun2-Only-on-Xbox

Sega also supposedly has a major announcement in store for E3:

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1579915,00.asp
Old 04-30-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Outrun 2 WAS made on Xbox arcade hardware..

LIVE support!
Old 04-30-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

@ Outrun 2 on Xbox Live
Old 04-30-04, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
@ Outrun 2 on Xbox Live
Old 04-30-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Outrun 2 looks nice, but I'm thinking is it going to have enough to make it in today's gaming market? I mean the original, even though it had branching roads, was a pretty straightforward experience that could be finished in a day. I'm worried this will be more of the same.

After all, Crazy Taxi is really Outrun with drop-off points, and look how that license fell from grace.

Jeremy
Old 04-30-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jrutz
After all, Crazy Taxi is really Outrun with drop-off points, and look how that license fell from grace.
Another brilliant game DOA due to lack of sex and violence.

I spent hella money in the arcade on Taxi and bought a Dreamcast when I heard it was coming out for it. Also was one of my reasons to get an Xbox over the PS2 back in the day.
Old 04-30-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty stoked about Outrun 2. I remember playing the original in the arcade ages ago... In fact, there's a pizza joint near me that still has one of these (it's greasy and dirty and gross, but it works) and I play it every once in awhile. I actually never finished it though.

Oh - and not to drag this thread off-topic, but...

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Another brilliant game DOA due to lack of sex and violence.
Hey, don't take this the wrong way, but I kinda wish you would quit with the 'sex and violence' rap... There are lots of games that end up as top sellers and yet contain no sex or violence. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, sports titles, driving games, etc etc... And just because a game has sex and violence, that doesn't make it a bad game and it doesn't mean that that's the only reason people like it. GTA3, Far Cry, Max Payne, UT2004, Hitman, etc... - all great games regardless.

Few games actually contain 'sex' themes anyway, and if they do it's often PG rated stuff... and as for violence, pretty much all games contain violence on some level - shooting games have you shooting down other planes and ships. There has to be someone on board piloting them, right? FPS games certainly have violence, but is Metriod Prime considered violent? Probably not as much as Half-Life or Soldier of Fortune. What about Halo? Surely the Lord of the Rings games contain mass amounts of violence. Grabbed by the Ghoulies has you attacking all sorts of enemies in a violent fashion. Even the Mario games contain violence as you're shooting fireballs and killing turtle things and whatever. I mean, there are actually very few games that don't contain any violence... Tetris, Amplitude, uh... Dance Dance Revolution. Pikmin even... you control your little flower people to have them bash and kill giant bugs and some of them even die in the process.

Crazy Taxi didn't sell well because it didn't change much from 1 to 2 and version 3 simply wasn't very good, not because it lacked sex and violence. The way you keep bringing up 'sex and violence' as being sucky or otherwise distasteful to you should be just as unacceptable around here as someone suggesting some game is for 'kiddies' and therefore is crappy or whatever. To be honest, IMO, we should be able to discuss the aspects of 'sex and violence' (adult themes) in a game or 'kiddie' (younger audience geared) themes of various games so long as we aren't using it as a way of insulting fans of such games or using it as the reasons why a game sucks... that's where things start getting out of hand.

I mean, if I can catch heat here for making a comment that some game is aimed more at younger players - even though I'm not stating it to suggest that people who like said game are child-minded or babies or whatever insult they draw from the comment - then I don't think you should be permitted to keep slagging certain games that are aimed for older players by saying they are all about sex and violence and have no other redeeming values - as this could be construed as you saying that people who play these games are simple-minded dum-dums.

Anyway - don't take offense to anything I'm saying - I'm not trying to insult you or pick a fight. I'm just making a comment about this double standard that has been bothering me. I'm not trying to push anyone's buttons at all. I'm all about peace.
Old 04-30-04, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
Outrun 2 looks nice, but I'm thinking is it going to have enough to make it in today's gaming market? I mean the original, even though it had branching roads, was a pretty straightforward experience that could be finished in a day. I'm worried this will be more of the same.

Jeremy
I see no comparison between those two games. And the problem each has in sales is different, too.

You correctly identify Outrun's problem... it's over too quickly. Without Live support, this would be guaranteed to hit the bargain bins almost immediately. Even with it, that fate seems likely. (An arcade-perfect compilation of Daytona 1 and 2 on Live would sell far better.)

As for Crazy Taxi, it was a great idea executed near-perfectly, thus a great game. After the first, how do you improve upon the concept to get an improved game? I don't know. And it's obvious the designers at Sega didn't, either... jumping taxis?!? And inferior city designs?!?

Maybe competitive online play might be an addition that would re-spark some interest (multiple taxis could be roaring through the city at the same time), but it seems that Crazy Taxi's success was destined to be supernova-like, burning incredibly brightly, then dying.
Old 04-30-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must say I am a big fan of Outrun and I am eagerly awaiting the release of Outrun2. (I played it a few months back in Vegas and was pleasantly surprised) I had Outrun for Genesis, Saturn, and even bought ShenMue II for Xbox just to have it. I hope the folks at Sega find it in their hearts to include the original game, Outrunners, and turbo Outrun in the new release. Custom soundtracks and downloadable tracks and cars would be great as well.
Old 05-01-04, 01:17 AM
Banned

O.K. here are my thoughts. While this is certainly exciting news for the most part, I am extremely bothered and concerned because of the following....

Originally posted by Marty Chinn
I'm excited yet saddened at the same time. I was hoping Sega would try to port it to the PS2. I absolutely love Outrun 2 from playing it at GDC, but part of the fun will be lost when it's on the Xbox since the Xbox lacks a good force feedback wheel. The PS2 would have been great in that aspect. Power sliding is so fun with the feel of a force feedback wheel. Now that part of the game is lost on the Xbox. Damn, why can't MS allow a USB adaptor for Logitech to use their wheel on the Xbox. It so needs a good wheel.
Marty, you took the words RIGHT out of my mouth! As much as I want to get excited about this announcement, I cannot bring myself to look past the fact that we've YET to see a true force feedback wheel on the Xbox and the ones that are out there are simply trash.

I know you guys are happy to see so many racing games on the xbox, but you must realize that Logitech and Microsoft are doing a serious disservice to the console by not workig together to bring us a good ff wheel. Logitech has absolutely no excuse at this point. Their legal problems with MS are over! They should have announced development on a wheel long ago. To say that this situation is pissing me off would an understatement!

As a result, part of me wants to see OutRun 2 on the PS2 simply for the force feedback support. But knowing the graphics would be a step down and the online capabilities of the PS2 pale incomparision with XBL, I'd still prefer it on the box.

So in the end, unless there are plans to bring out a good ff wheel for the Xbox, my reactions are mixed, and my anticipation remains somewhat bittersweet.

Cellapu I know you are a die hard Sega racing game fan. What are your thoughts on his issue?

Originally posted by Hotsuma
Finally! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I hope they put in OutRun, OutRunners and Turbo OutRun as unlockables!

Once again, wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
That would indeed, rock. Imagine unlocking OutRun, then Turbo OutRun, then OutRunners upon each successful completion of a map in OR2.

Originally posted by jarrod5024
We're getting F-Zero and SpikeOut instead...
Eh? Another F-Zero? Can you please comment further on this?
Old 05-01-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't use wheels with consoles, but it seems to me that there are at least 15 - 20 different choices for racing wheels for the Xbox. I find it hard to believe that you've tried every single one on the market and have discovered first-hand that they are all indeed trash. Maybe you have, I don't know. Have you tried the various wheels from Naki, AlfaData, Radica, Thrustmaster, MadCatz, Pelican and Saitek? Sure, Logitec makes one helluva controller - but other companies are capable of making good controllers as well.
Old 05-01-04, 01:51 AM
Banned

I've tried them all and they suck donkey nuts. I refuse to play racing games with a ****ing gamepad.
Old 05-01-04, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where did you have the opportunity to try out all 20 or so different wheels?
Old 05-01-04, 03:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I've tried (and still own) 3 different wheels. None are great, but they are all better than a regular controller.
Old 05-01-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

which ones?
Old 05-01-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone tried that Logitech GT wheel with 900 degrees rotation (for PS2)? And is it possible to use an adapter so you can use it on the xbox?
Old 05-01-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since we're on the topic of SEGA, any news on Shenmue 3?
Old 05-01-04, 02:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally posted by Trigger
which ones?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=275144