Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I can already feel the addiction coming back (EQ2)

Old 04-27-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can already feel the addiction coming back (EQ2)

It must be fate. I'm moving this week, and RoadRunner will be hooked up on Friday. On Monday sign-up begins for the EQ2 beta.

I can already feel and hear the great sucking sound of my free time going bye-bye.

Anyone else planning on checking this out?
Old 04-27-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never did get the online RPG thing beyond hack and slash (Phantasy Star Online).. I saw someone playing FFXI and he spent 30 minutes chopping wood. CHOPPING WOOD.
Old 04-27-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

MMO's are all about interaction with other people while playing a game. If you're not into that, then MMO's are not for you. Oh and 99.9% of the time they require you to pay them a monthly fee to immerse yourself in their World. I play them because I have RL friends who live in other states and playing together in an MMO is a way we can hook up, play and talk on a regular basis.

Yah that chopping wood bit in FFXI is for crafting. That's probably the one thing I dislike about MMO's but its optional, you're not forced into it. That aside FFXI is a pretty fun game if you have the time & money to sink into it.

Back to topic...I hope EQ2 is better than the first because I hated the first one with a passion, in fact had I not been convinced to try Asheron's Call out I may have never played another MMO again. I missed out on WoW(World of Warcraft) beta so I'll definitely sign up on Monday.

Last edited by Setzer; 04-27-04 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

EQ 2 looks awesome, but chances are I will never play a MMORPG again unless it's free.
Old 04-27-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played EQ for about 3 years. EQ2 looks just gorgeous and there are no class/race limitations hehe. I will finally be able to try out an Iksar Wizard; or a gnome monk? Nah

Will definitely check it out once I upgrade my computer.
Old 04-27-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I saw someone playing FFXI and he spent 30 minutes chopping wood. CHOPPING WOOD.
That's a euphamism, right?

Online RPGs are chat rooms with 3D graphics.
Old 04-28-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are they going with a similar model to the original? If so no thanks. I am waiting til the release before I get myself psyched on any MMORPG. Already made that mistake with SWG. Waiting to hear their what they are bringing to the table besides the good graphics.

By the way is EQ2 going to have an NDA? One of the things that actually sparks my interest in WOW is there is no NDA in Beta, makes me less suspicious of the game and how it will turn out.
Old 04-28-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
So true.
Old 04-28-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Just out of curiosity, have you ever actually played an MMO?
Old 04-28-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

EQ2 will definitely have a strict NDA to begin. And even if you do sign up for beta, the first 6 months of beta at least will only be with people from Legends, who have maintained accounts constantly for the last 5 years and who are in uber guilds because lets admit it, Sony caters to the addicts.

Personnally, I am led to believe that the beta is already in progress and this is more considered an open beta so hopefully it won't be long before we all get to play. This because one of the most powerful guild on the Legends server (40$ a month for those who dont follow) folded months ago because they were 'waiting for Everquest 2' which is BS since the people in those guilds are much too addicted to all agree to stop playing at the same time so they are of course testing EQ2.

It is no secret that the powerful guilds are always the first to be invited to beta the new expansions and changes to Everquest.
Old 04-28-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$40 a month?!
Old 04-28-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PixyJunket
$40 a month?!
It is Sony's gimmick to basically charge more for less populated servers. They do some events and other special crap on there too, though.
Old 04-28-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always wondered how many events etc they actually get on Legends to be worth $40. THe thing that really gets me is the "improved CS." Basically they're saying "Yeah, for $10 you can play, but don't expect any customer support."

$40 a month does seem like a lot, but when you consider the number of hours most EQ addicts spend playing, the cost per hour is probably lower than just about any other form of entertainment (except maybe watching over the air network TV)

I used to be one of those addicts. For about a year I lived entirely on savings (god I wish I had that back...both the year and the savings) and it wasn't uncommon for me to spend 14+ hours logged into Everquest. Yes, I was an uber dork.
Old 04-28-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mongo

I used to be one of those addicts. For about a year I lived entirely on savings (god I wish I had that back...both the year and the savings) and it wasn't uncommon for me to spend 14+ hours logged into Everquest. Yes, I was an uber dork.
Same here, back when EQ was first released I was constantly playing. I would have a blast playing for long periods of time (8+ hours straight). Then, one day, I just got tired of it, sold my character on EBAY for an insane amount of money, and quit.

I tried going back to it a few times, but never could get hooked into it again. No MMO has grabbed me like EQ did the first time.
Old 04-28-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played Asheron's call for close to 3 years. I used to play all the time, before work, during work (don't know how I got away with it but I did), after work, and so on.

I look back and realize I wasted alot of time. I won't do that again. And to be honest, that's how MMORPG makes their money, to get people to pay every month for the same game (new content usually get solved within the first day or so after release), they have to resort to ridiculously time consuming level up requirements to get anywhere in game.

I will pass. Although it can be nice to chat with friends who also play. I even read how some couples met and got married through it. But that's not for me
Old 04-29-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One thing people must realize is that new games are no longer time consuming as in the past. Some do try to make it stretch but newer titles usually make level'ing up fairly easy or totally remove it like in City of Heroes.

Newer games, World of Warcraft being a good example remove this by making quests an integral part of the game. You can logon, get a quest, complete the quest for an item or money and be done in 30 minutes. The days of the 4 hours to get anything done games are passed as they realized that most of us can't commit that kind of time to play a game. Even Everquest now, I log in, get a group, do a lost dungeon and it takes under 2 hours max to do everything then I can quit and did not waste my entire evening. If your lucky and join a powerful group, you can log in and out in 45 minutes.