Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft to acquire Bioware - announcement at E3?

Old 04-21-04, 01:21 PM

Microsoft to acquire Bioware - announcement at E3?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...e=dev&aid=3307

Rob Fahey 15:13 19/04/2004
Will the Knights of the Old Republic developer join the dark side?

Internet reports suggest that Microsoft is set to acquire Canadian RPG development studio Bioware, with the company planning to announce this latest addition to its developer line-up at the E3 trade show next month.

According to the reports, a senior Microsoft Game Studios official broke the information under condition of anonymity; our own sources at the company remained tight-lipped on the subject today, but did confirm that the company is hoping to have a "massive" announcement at E3.

Bioware is one of the most successful developers of RPG titles outside Japan, and it most recently won success - both critical and commercial - for its Star Wars title, Knights of the Old Republic. Previous titles have included hugely popular PC RPGs Neverwinter Knights and Baldur's Gate.

The studio is currently working on another Xbox title for Microsoft Game Studios, Jade Empire. The close relationship being forged between Bioware and Microsoft would certainly point at an acquisition being highly likely - Microsoft is not a company which tends to allow key partners to remain independent for long.

The purchase would add Bioware to a roster of first party Xbox development studios which already includes Bungie and Rare, and an announcement at E3 would fit the company's previous behaviour regarding such key acquisitions. When Microsoft bought Rare in 2002, in a deal worth over a quarter of a billion dollars, it stayed silent through weeks of intense speculation before eventually announcing the acquisition at the X02 press event in Seville.

Ahhh, the great swallowing up continues!

Chris
Old 04-21-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IGN and Gamespot reported this earlier in the week. I don't know, I don't think it would hurt BioWare in the least. They would publish their games exclusively for the Xbox platform, and with XNA it would be relatively easy, so they say, to port to the PC without any sacrifices. MS would benefit because they would get Xbox exclusives, as well as publish for the PC and cater to that substantial PC RPG crowd.

I say if MS has the cash, and I know they do, then go for it.

Jeremy
Old 04-21-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see the point since they pretty much are developing exclusively for the Xbox as it is. But you know, with Jade Empire and KOTOR2 coming... I guess it's a good idea for MS to pick them up. I mean, KOTOR2 could be a few years off and by then we'll be using Xbox2 and PS3, so surely the hardware limitation won't be there so it would be more likely to be a multiconsole game.
Old 04-21-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess it's just the formality then to aquire them. Plus it would guarantee that their future titles would be Xbox exclusive. I can see it now - KOTOR2 for XBOX Next launch!

MS would certainly want to avoid any risk of KOTOR2 being developed multi-console. Plus, if they are interested in purchasing them at this stage of Jade Empire's development, that says good things about that title, and another potential franchise for the XBOX Next.

Jeremy
Old 04-21-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe it's up to Lucasarts to decide which consoles KOTOR games will appear on. But I think this a good move from MS acquiring Bioware. Bioware has proven that they can make great game.

Last edited by CreatureX; 04-21-04 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would they keep it in Canada?
Old 04-22-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just remember what happened to RARE.
Old 04-22-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nothing was happening with Rare before and nothing is still happening with Rare. It's not like microsoft buying game developers is the kiss of death and it's not like they are the only company that buys developers.
Old 04-22-04, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Just remember what happened to RARE.

The problem with that argument is that Rare was drained of talent before they were bought , Microsoft just made a horrible deal and got Ghost to Ghoulies or whatever its called a result.
Old 04-22-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Microsoft to acquire Bioware - announcement at E3?

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Internet reports suggest that Microsoft is set to acquire Canadian RPG development studio Bioware, with the company planning to announce this latest addition to its developer line-up at the E3 trade show next month.
In other news, Bioware has announced "KOTOR II: Jedi Conquest," in which the resistance crumbles and everyone joins the Sith for lack of alternatives.

- David Stein
Old 04-22-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as they keep making PC games as well, I don't mind
Old 04-22-04, 02:35 PM

Indeed.. it would be Lucasarts who owns the rights to KOTOR games. KOTOR2 is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment.
Old 04-22-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obsidian is developing KOTOR2, but only because Bioware asked them to. With so much on their plate, they looked for a good development house to field some of their projects. It's still a Bioware project and product as they sent all their KOTOR development materials over to Obsidian... it's also possible that this buy might include Obsidian. I dunno.
Old 04-22-04, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
it's also possible that this buy might include Obsidian. I dunno.
Woah! I didn't know about that. That's crazy news. I suppose we will find out soon..

It's good to hear big crazy news like this every once in a while.