Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

City of Heroes; Who's ready to be a Hero Pirate?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

City of Heroes; Who's ready to be a Hero Pirate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Well, I'm beginning to get pissed at this game more and more. I don't like how it's set up. I try to get people together for a team, but people rarely accept invitations to be on a team. So I go it alone, and it's almost impossible to level up by myself. Enemies are either alone and very weak, or together and very powerful compared to me. It's a no win situation.
Old 07-29-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I quit playing. This game is just like EQ in that respect, Deftones. You can't solo effectively. Unless you have a crew along, forget the missions.

I sure hope WoW will have decent solo action.
Old 07-29-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
I sure hope WoW will have decent solo action.
Oh it does. A lot of the quests are even designed for solo'ing. I can effectively kill level 43-44 creatures with my 41 rogue , and rogues are a very underpowered class right now.
Old 07-29-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Well, I'm beginning to get pissed at this game more and more. I don't like how it's set up. I try to get people together for a team, but people rarely accept invitations to be on a team. So I go it alone, and it's almost impossible to level up by myself. Enemies are either alone and very weak, or together and very powerful compared to me. It's a no win situation.
Weird. What type/level is your character? I solo probably 80-90% of the time and level fairly quickly for the amount I play (a few hours a week). While it's true I level faster when I group, I also seem to die more because I have this knack for teaming with people who don't know what they are doing (tankers who don't tank when i play my blaster, defenders who are more interested in fighting than defending/healing when I play my tank)
Old 07-29-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Daryl
Weird. What type/level is your character? I solo probably 80-90% of the time and level fairly quickly for the amount I play (a few hours a week). While it's true I level faster when I group, I also seem to die more because I have this knack for teaming with people who don't know what they are doing (tankers who don't tank when i play my blaster, defenders who are more interested in fighting than defending/healing when I play my tank)
Level 11 blaster. My problem is that I will find a group of lower level baddies that I can beat easily, but get little experience, or get mopped the floor with.

Then, I'll find an equivalent level baddy or two, and they mop the floor with me.
Old 07-29-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hey deftones I feel your pain. I am on usually different hours. I would love to play along side with you.

my char are

lvl 13 tanker ansaki
lvl 12 controller elocin bsn

on the infinity server

send me tell

Last edited by thejammy; 07-29-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm on the Protector server. We can't play unless we are on the same server, right?
Old 07-30-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Level 11 blaster. My problem is that I will find a group of lower level baddies that I can beat easily, but get little experience, or get mopped the floor with.

Then, I'll find an equivalent level baddy or two, and they mop the floor with me.
Interesting. I have a level 14 blaster I'm playing now and I usually mop up groups of 3-5 conning yellow or orange to me, and am pretty succesful battling solo reds. One suggestion that helped me fly from level 10 to 12 in one night: go to Perez Park and either stand by an entrance or go into the lake area. Tons of people looking for teammates to fight hydra or to fight the gangs outside the park. Granted, I know it's sometimes hard as a blaster to join a team like that because there are so many blasters, but i usually get an offer or two even when I'm simply running through PP to get to a mission or whatever
Old 07-30-04, 08:11 AM
Cool New Member

I got this game a couple of weeks ago and have been having lots of fun with it. I have a 15th level blaster. I solo missions and only group when I want to get some extra exp in one of the hazard areas.

Now my only problem is finding a decent group to Task Force with. Most of the ones I join quit after getting their butts kicked by the first mob in the first mission. x_x
Old 07-30-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

You know, I always see people broadcasting to hunt hydra. I've never seen one. What's the big deal?
Old 07-30-04, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Hydras are just a group of about 10 level 15 monsters. Not all that special, aside from being a lot of them in one place. Good XP if you can handle the load.
Old 07-30-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hydras are good because their attacks are pretty basic and while they can be damaging, they don't stun you, or knock you back, or any of that. They are just mindless monsters who pack a mean punch but they can be defeated easily in a group and give out nice XP.

Task Forces are so funny, when i play my tanker I get tons of offers. When I play a blaster, it's so hard because why take me at lvl 14 when there are ten lvl 15-16's sitting around trying to TF too?
Old 09-17-04, 01:24 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Expansion #2 "A Shadow of the Past" went live yesterday and it freaking rules! You can read about it here:

http://www.coh.com/news/item304.html

MY take:

Auras are very cool effects, even better than capes. My main char. now has a costume that pulses electricity, a costume with eyes on fire, a costume that sparkles, and a costume with a glowing head. The customization options are quite vast.

Capes are awesome as they should be. The COH team really captured cape animations very well and it shows. There are not as many options as I would like, but they are a welcome change from the norm.

I haven't tried out the power respecification trial yet, but people in my Supergroup love it so far. You can get rid of those pesky powers you never use and trade them for something else.

The Badges and Plaques are a superb sidebar for people who get bored with missions and fighting in general. You even get a reward, (more hp, cool guns), when you collect a whole set. I've got about half of my tourism badges last night. Badges are excellent incentives to complete TF's too, for flaky heros. Also, The dance club is another great sidebar for people to just hang out and chat.

All in all, the new patch is very cool. My main char is up to 44 and I have a few alts too. If anyone stopped playing, you should check it out for another month.

Last edited by Flay; 09-17-04 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
How do you get badges and plaques? Where do you start?