Reload this Page >

Opinons wanted: Action Replay or similar things for Xbox

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Opinons wanted: Action Replay or similar things for Xbox

Old 04-21-04, 07:04 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Opinons wanted: Action Replay and Game Cheat codes saving for Xbox

My 7 year old nephew is getting the Xbox with some games. He's coming fromt eh N64 world where he had Gameshark and was also able to get codes off of the net to help him through some levels of games.

I've read about the Action Replay products for the Xbox and how they aren't cheat codes but rather the memory card spoofs the game into believing that certain levels have been accomplished.

Does anyone have experience on how well this works or if there are other ways for him to get access to more levels, power, life, etc. on games?

I understand that the Xbox community is really against the cheating code things because of the Live aspect of the games and I respect that. I'd just like for him to be able to access all that the games offer so that he can just have fun at it. For example, he plays the N64 Shadows of the Empire and just loves to walk around the different levels, fly on different worlds, have endless lives, have all the weapons. He's not so concerned at this age yet on beating the game as he is on just having fun exploring it. Some of the games, I know he wouldn't be able to fully master at this time and I definitely am no help with my limited ability in gaming.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be a big help... thank you!

Last edited by ngp; 04-27-04 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really spoofs, but there's a large active user community that uploads their saves to the Codejunkies website. The AR for the Xbox works exactly like the Dex Drive, if you can remember that, for the PSX and N64.

I like it, but I haven't really used it that much. The only reason I got it was so I can upload roster updates for the EA sports games. So it serves it's purpose in that respect.

Jeremy
Old 04-21-04, 10:09 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was reading some of the reviews at Amazon and peopl generally didn't like it. However, reading futher into it, it seemed that people were expecting a true cheat and not just the ability to go to different levels and areas of the games. I'm wondering if it may serve the purpose though.

Jrutz, you mentioned that there are Saves to the Codejunkies website. Would you need to network the Xbox to the PC to be able to get the saves on there? I wasn't planning on networking it for him or anything because, 1. He won't be doing any online at this time, and 2. Don't know enough about that stuff to do it.
Old 04-21-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

afaik, people that use AR seem to like it a lot. personally, i don't use it nor do i care if others do, but yes, i have heard people complain about others that used AR to unlock stuff (like cars in PGR2).
Old 04-21-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here is IGN's review of the Xbox Action replay. They were certainly NOT impressed with it.
Old 04-21-04, 11:12 AM

I have the Action Replay for X-Box. It simply allows you to upload other people's save files and official cheats into your game. It doesn't reprogram or change code. I like it because a lot of Live games require you to finish the game to access all the players or vehicles. I just like to jump right into live, so I download a completed file onto mine and go.
Old 04-21-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ngp
Jrutz, you mentioned that there are Saves to the Codejunkies website. Would you need to network the Xbox to the PC to be able to get the saves on there? I wasn't planning on networking it for him or anything because, 1. He won't be doing any online at this time, and 2. Don't know enough about that stuff to do it.
It came with a USB memory card port (and an 8MB memory card), so you can just plug it in and drag and drop memory saves from Windows Explorer to the AR interface. It's really clean.

Jeremy
Old 04-21-04, 12:12 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool, thanks gang. I think that if I saw the AR for a good deal, I'd try it out, otherwise, leave it alone. Thanks for all the input!
Old 04-21-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NGP - try looking at CompUSA. I know online it's available for $19.99, and you can pick up in-store if available.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=302021

Jeremy
Old 04-21-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought one so that I could copy a save game over that would get me root access, and allow me to mod the hard drive without voiding my warranty. Unfortunately, the memory card that came with it was a piece of crap, and I couldn't get it to work until I bought a microsoft memory card.
Old 04-21-04, 01:30 PM

I came across some on clearance at my local Target...

...just delaying the price revelation...

...for $3.xx

Needless to say, I picked up a couple.
Old 04-21-04, 02:21 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I'll have to check out Target! Thanks! Even at $19.99...doesn't sound too bad compared to the $29.99 that I've seen it for!
Old 04-23-04, 11:59 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Target had the Gameshark for $19.99 but no memory card comes with it. I'll give the Gameshark a try....works very much like the Action Replay.

Anyone know if there are any bargains on Mem cards?
Old 04-23-04, 01:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally posted by sjividen
I came across some on clearance at my local Target...

...just delaying the price revelation...

...for $3.xx

Needless to say, I picked up a couple.
What exactly?

The action replays? generic memory cards? official memory cards? gamesharks?

Thanks
Old 04-23-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trevor
What exactly?

The action replays? generic memory cards? official memory cards? gamesharks?

Thanks
The Action Replay's. I picked up the last one at my local Target for $6 a few months ago so more then likely you'll have a hard time finding them on clearance now.
Old 04-24-04, 11:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Checked 2 Targets today. No replays, but both had something that looked like a generic xbox gameshark (gameshark wasn't mentioned on the packaging unless I missed it) for 19.99.

A USB cable/memory card combo to let you back up your xbox saves and download other saves seems pretty cool.
Old 04-27-04, 11:43 AM
Stealth Moderator

ngp, your new thread was merged with your old thread. They both address the SAME issue, which is allowing cheats for your nephew. Please continue discussion in this thread. Thank you.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 04-27-04, 08:41 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've now picked a whole bunch of used games for my nephew (7 years old) and he'll be getting his Xbox next week. On his N64, he loves playing the Turok, James Bond, and Star Wars stuff, mostly just having invincibility, unlimited ammo, and the ability to go just about anywhere in the game's many levels. He's not so much interested in beating the game as he is in just discovering, shooting, and having fun.

I noticed that at places like gamewinners.com and other sites, there are cheat codes for these games. Is there a way to save these cheats in the game, either on the Xbox's HD or a memory card so that we don't need to type them in each time he puts the same game back in the console? If the answer is a memory card, are there any particular sizes or ones that you all recommend that don't break the bank?

From what I understand, this is different from the Gameshark for Xbox and the Action Replay for Xbox...both of those have game saves to advance through the levels of a game whereas the codes found at places like Gamewinners.com are to be input directly into the game through its original menu.

Thanks in advance.