DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   can i go live with a modded xbox? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/359460-can-i-go-live-modded-xbox.html)

rojkai 04-19-04 07:37 PM

can i go live with a modded xbox?

A curious question since Im about to buy an XBOX. I really want to go live so if i cant mod it, then i wont. Sorry if these questions arent allowed here. thanks in advance.

Gallant Pig 04-19-04 07:41 PM

You can if your Xbox mod has a switch, but some say MS checks out HDD size also and could ban based on that.

If you do, be careful you could easily end up banned. Best to get 2, one for modding and one for Live.

Please don't discuss saving games to your HDD or any of that sort. Simply do a google search for that.

stevevt 04-19-04 07:47 PM

Re: can i go live with a modded xbox?

As long as you're both happy, I don't see how society gets to have an opinion on the matter.

The Dude 04-19-04 07:48 PM

SWEET JESUS NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

illennium 04-19-04 08:12 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
As long as you're both happy, I don't see how society gets to have an opinion on the matter.
That's how I read it too.

Originally posted by TheDude
SWEET JESUS NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn fundamentalists and their antiquated beliefs...

rojkai 04-19-04 08:51 PM

ahaha. you guys are too funny. Thanks Gallant Pig for your response. Anybody have any recommendations on the modchip per chance ?

edstein 04-20-04 12:17 AM

I am using the Xecuter2 Pro. It comes with a switch that you can mount outside of the xbox so you can turn it on or off (indicated by a nice blue LED).

Be very clear about this, do not log on to xbox live with the mod chip enabled. You will be banned, not your account, just your xbox. Banning can be undone but, it takes some work. Your best bet is to physically disconnect your network cable while the mod chip is on. Many of the new games are "Live Aware", which means they will automatically log you on if you profile name in the game is the same as your gamertag.

Go to xbox-scene.com. They have all the tutorials you'll need and links to get the nessecary files.

RoQuEr 04-20-04 09:53 PM

how did you get your account restored edstein? Is there a thread on this already?

rojkai 04-21-04 01:09 AM

how easy/hard is it to mod the box ? i know there are instructions all over the net but on a physical/technical level, how would you rate it ? I've never solder in my life but I'm no technical-impaired guy either. Could I be able to do it if i choose to do so?

mrpayroll 04-27-04 01:45 PM

Just a quick question about a modded XBox, does it read DVD-R or +R's. Thanx for your help in answering this question.

Chris

edstein 04-27-04 11:31 PM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
how did you get your account restored edstein? Is there a thread on this already?
My brother sent me the eeprom data from a friend of his. Basically you flash your eeprom with the eeprom data from another modded xbox. The trick is, the other xbox is now rendered useless on xbox live as both would now have the same eeprom data. People are selling these eeprom files for $10.

As far as modding the xbox, it is easy. No soldering is required for the chip I am using. It uses spring loaded "pogo-pins" and one screw to mount. Once the chip is installed, you flash the chip with the latest bios. Then run the Slayer Auto Installer CD and all the applications, emulators, skins, dashboards, etc, are copied to the hard drive. I recommend upgrading the hard drive to a larger one to take full advantage of the chip. This is not required though. I am running a 120gb hd which holds all of my music, pictures, emulators, and games. I got my chip from these guys www.system-mods.com . They sell modded xbox's as well as the chips. www.xbox-scene.com can point you in the right direction for getting all of the files you need as well as the tutorials.

mrpayroll 04-28-04 12:04 AM

And again my question. Does the modded XBox read DVD-R or +R's?

Chris

johnbe 04-28-04 09:36 AM

A modded box should have no trouble reading either type of disc. There may be certain brands though that it has problems with. You would need to research that.

mrpayroll 04-28-04 09:59 AM

Originally posted by johnbe
A modded box should have no trouble reading either type of disc. There may be certain brands though that it has problems with. You would need to research that.
Great, thank you very much for the info.

Chris

edstein 04-28-04 10:27 AM

Originally posted by mrpayroll

Chris

It seems to depend on which drive you have. Take a look at this thread Link . Either should work.

alexkat 04-28-04 02:29 PM

Chris

I have the Samsung drive and it has no problem reading DVD-R, DVD+R/W and it will occasionally read DVD-RW

mrpayroll 06-18-04 05:26 PM

How about a modded PS2, can it go live?

Chris

oppie1 06-19-04 09:54 AM

How about a modded PS2, can it go live?

Chris

if you can get a ps2 to log onto xbox live, then you sir, are my newest hero

mrpayroll 06-19-04 07:45 PM

Originally posted by oppie1
if you can get a ps2 to log onto xbox live, then you sir, are my newest hero
You know why I mean, wise guy! :lol:

Chris

Giantrobo 06-19-04 11:00 PM

I don't know man, I've played some guys who seem like they either have some cheat codes running or some thing modded. On Jedi Academy...sometimes you play people who don't take any damage. Even if you suck...and I do... you should still be able to damage them even if a little.

oppie1 06-20-04 09:20 AM

You know why I mean, wise guy! :lol:

Chris

i know :) it was just too easy, heh

Cusm 06-21-04 09:08 AM

I have conflicting data about the Mech Assault softmod, can you go live if you do this? I would like to make a media box, with net access, but do not want to mess up my Live account, and do not want to spend any $$ if I can help it.