DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   thoughts on toca 2 (xbox live)? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/359346-thoughts-toca-2-xbox-live.html)

young 04-19-04 11:56 AM

thoughts on toca 2 (xbox live)?

ok, for some reason, 3 people have told me this morning that TOCA 2 is a great game and that i should get it... better than PGR2.

so, i just bought it at ebgames ($29.99 and a $10 gift voucher thru the mail). but, i haven't heard people talk about it here that much.

any impressions that you'd like to share? i'll be on tonight although i'll probably be on single player to get a feel for things.

Sticky Bomb 04-19-04 12:36 PM

best racing game i have played. ever and i get them all.
Great selection of racing types. best 20$ you'll ever spend.

Calico 04-19-04 01:34 PM

I am really enjoying this game. And for $30 bucks, it's tough to beat. The only thing that bugs me is that there's no sense of progression like in MotoGP where you could build a custom rider/bike. It's almost like it was totally built for Live and the single player, while good, could've used some more depth. The original game had single player depth in spades, this one a bit less.

Oh man, if you want the slowest race of your life, try out the big rig racing.

I've noticed that on Live, most people are playing only the races that come unlocked already, which I'm guessing means everyone is grabbing it and heading straight to Live. I'm trying to unlock as much as possible in hopes I can host games of all types. I rule at the pickup truck racing (Lightning Challenge) for some reason.

young 04-20-04 09:44 AM

well, i was only able to play it a little yesterday - i ran into a wall on a sharp turn... i had to retire from the race! :eek:

unlike pgr2 (which i also like), damage is an integral part of racing in TOCA. the damage really affected how i drove and made it more realistic. i didn't just barrel into turns and bounce around.

i hope to get some more playing time today but so far, it looks like it is going to be a great game.

i dub the Xbox, King of Racing Games.

Copenhagen 05-03-04 01:28 AM

I just picked this up today and so far I'm really impressed with the damage aspect of the game. Much like young I've had to re-learn the correct way to take a corner so I don't bang the hell out of my ride. I've yet to take it out on LIVE, but can't wait to do so.

Dave Scarpa 05-03-04 10:36 AM

Yeah it's a great racer and I'm impressed they made it 12 player on live. Ralisport will only be four player but I guess it's the nature of those courses, TOCA is well worth the $30

young 05-03-04 12:21 PM

rallisport 2 will be 4 players w/ collisions on; 16 w/ collisions off and wireframe cars (thick outlines color coded)... i will be picking this game up as well and plan to DOMINATE!* :D

*keyword = plan ;)

DavePack 05-05-04 08:45 AM

After the favorable reviews, comments from you good folks, the $29.99 price point, and my desire for a good racer to play on Xbox Live, I picked this one up last night.

WOW. Congrats to Codemasters on this one. This game is just fantastic. More than anything, I was just blown away at the sense of speed. If IndyCar Series 2005 is anywhere in the league of this one, I'll be in Indianapolis Motor Speedway heaven.

I've only just started the single player career mode. I was too eager to jump online and into some multiplayer racing. Of course, I promptly got schooled, but I expected that. I'm finding newbies can have a tough time on Xbox Live. :)

This game, along with Crimson Skies, is making me feel very good about finally taking the Xbox Live plunge a couple weeks ago. If you like racing games, you gotta check this one out--especially at $29.99.

DamingR 05-05-04 11:02 AM

Best game to debut at $30 EVER.