DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox Live technical questions--please help! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/359320-xbox-live-technical-questions-please-help.html)

DavePack 04-19-04 09:59 AM

Xbox Live technical questions--please help!

Hey gang...I had a similar thread on this quite a while back, and while I found it, I thought it best to start a new one because I've made some decisions on how I'd like to hook it up. However, before I make the purchases, I want to make sure this is going to work.

My PC and Xbox are at opposite ends of my home (a simple little 3-bedroom ranch starter home, nothing huge). I have broadband access to my PC via a cable modem (provider is Insight). What I'd like to do is hook my Xbox up wirelessly, so I figure I need to buy the following:

1. A wireless router.
2. Xbox Wireless Adapter.
3. Xbox Live Starter Kit.

I've gone to Insight's help page for information on setting this up. Here's where I get confused:

It is recommended that the use of routers NOT be used in conjunction with using the Xbox online. Microsoft reports a number of gaming issues when the PS2 is connected to a router.

Huh? Why can't I use a router? And why in the hell do I care about gaming issues regarding the PS2 and a router? I think this might be a case of copied text and they forgot to change PS2 to Xbox, but I don't know. I'd like to make sure I could definitely use a router.

Customers using both a computer and a Xbox will need a second IP address to allow the Xbox to work online. Please contact your local Insightbb.com customer service center for assistance.

This really confuses me. Why do I need to purchase a second IP address? Would this be if I wanted to use the Xbox AND my PC at the same time? If I powered my PC off, could I use Xbox Live without having to purchase a separate IP address?

I figured I'd tape into the knowledge of you good folks first before I called Insight and asked them these questions. I'm guessing (hoping) a good number of you have been down this road already.

Thanks much!

young 04-19-04 10:06 AM

i agree. it sounds like generic troubleshooting advice.

personally, i use a wireless setup - router, xbox bridge, etc. so far, no problems whatsoever. the xbox bridge may still be about $65 at amazon. i've got about 3 computers on the same network. i don't have the PS2 online though.

my only concern in your case is that the router is far from the xbox - signal degradation.

--
ok, amazon has it for $83 right now.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...877832-4499862
but, i've seen it for about $65 at least twice in the past (which is what i paid). not sure why it keeps fluctuating.

Calico 04-19-04 01:45 PM

I and several friends have our Xbox and PS2's set up with routers. My rig at home is:

Cable modem plugs into wireless router. Xbox and PS2 both have a Dlink DWL-810 series wireless bridge connected to them (actually, after this weekend, they all share one bridge thanks to a cool pelican switchbox I bought) . Any wired gear connects to one of the four wired ports on the router.

Here are some support links from MS/Xbox
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live/conne...el3=connect123

Wireless Xbox:
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live/conne...ss_connect.htm

Barney1234 04-19-04 03:14 PM

I use a wireless router for my xbox system. 4 port linksys

You don't need an additonal ip, they are trying to get more money out of you.

At peak load, I have the Xbox on, and 3 systems all on my one ip adddress/account. (systems= 2 hardwired, 1 wireless)

hope this helps

funkyryno 04-19-04 03:37 PM

There are a few routers that are officially approved for use with the Xbox.

warcp 04-19-04 04:37 PM

I use a Belkin router and the X-box official wireless adapter. I tried a few of the other adapters but only the official one seemed to work. I have my X-Box in my living room downstairs and the computer upstairs, so there is some distance between, but never had any unusual lag.

Gromit 04-19-04 07:09 PM

Re: Xbox Live technical questions--please help!

Originally posted by DavePack

It is recommended that the use of routers NOT be used in conjunction with using the Xbox online. Microsoft reports a number of gaming issues when the PS2 is connected to a router.

In fact, Microsoft recommends that a PS2 not be anywhere near your Xbox. For best results, chuck the PS2 into the back yard and beat it profusely with a large stick.

Both my PS2 and my Xbox are connected via a hub to a Linksys WET-11 wireless ethernet bridge.

DavePack 04-20-04 08:59 AM

Re: Re: Xbox Live technical questions--please help!

Originally posted by Gromit
In fact, Microsoft recommends that a PS2 not be anywhere near your Xbox. For best results, chuck the PS2 into the back yard and beat it profusely with a large stick.
:lol: Yeah, yeah...actually I have both systems as well, although I'm a lot more interested in going online with the Xbox than I am with my PS2.

Well, I went over to Best Buy last night and picked up everything I think I needed--a 802.11b/g wireless router, the Xbox wireless-g adaptor, and the Xbox Live Starter Kit. It was a little late for me to get into it last night, as much as I wanted to, so I'll have to wait until this evening. Hopefully, though, I'll be seeing some of you online soon. :)

sniper308 04-24-04 04:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Xbox Live technical questions--please help!

Originally posted by DavePack
:lol: Yeah, yeah...actually I have both systems as well, although I'm a lot more interested in going online with the Xbox than I am with my PS2.

Well, I went over to Best Buy last night and picked up everything I think I needed--a 802.11b/g wireless router, the Xbox wireless-g adaptor, and the Xbox Live Starter Kit. It was a little late for me to get into it last night, as much as I wanted to, so I'll have to wait until this evening. Hopefully, though, I'll be seeing some of you online soon. :)

The Xbox wireless adapter is currently $59.94 at Amazon, but the price fluctuates on it from day to day.

I picked it up a while back for that price and a Linksys wireless router, and all works well.

You should download the latest firmware for all pieces involved, including the xbox wireless adapter

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/br..._mn740_102.htm

The firmware update allows it to deal with an SSID that is not being broadcast.

jabbas 04-26-04 06:37 PM

the way around the 2 ip addresses I found was to enter in ym computer's MAC number as the alternate MAC number in my Xbox. Thatw ay, the cable modem doesn't know if it's reading my computer or my Xbox, as it sees them as the same machine.

There'sa good thread somewhere in this forum I think with the details of how to get around this, but that's what I did to void the extra $5 per month I was tried to be be charged by my cable company,...

DavePack 04-27-04 10:12 AM

I ended up just following the simple start-up instructions with each component--first the Microsoft wireless router, the MN-700 I believe, then the Xbox wireless adapter, and I didn't have any problems at all. While the distance between the two is across a very small dining room, a "great room"/living room, through a single wall and a few feet into the bedroom on the other side (so overall it's not far), I seem to get a lot of "low" strength readings. However, I've had very few problems during actual gameplay. Crimson Skies is a blast. Counterstrike tended to have some very bad lagging at times, although I heard other people mention bad lag so I don't know if it was just the server or what. If I played in a CS game with a lower number of players, it was fine.

The router did notice a firmware upgrade was available, and when I went back to the Xbox, it appeared a firmware update was being sent to the wireless adapter as well. Thanks for those instructions--I'll double-check tonight and make sure I've got the latest version.