DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Where can I find an explanation of KOTOR's point/rules system? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/358910-where-can-i-find-explanation-kotors-point-rules-system.html)

Giantrobo 04-16-04 02:37 PM

Where can I find an explanation of KOTOR's point/rules system?

I'm new to this kinda stuff (RPG point systems) and I recently resumed playing Knights of the Old Republic but I don't understand the RPG system. I can't find anything online that explains it and from what I understand KOTOR is based on <b>"Wizards of the Coast Star Wars D20 rules"</b> whatever they are. I checked wizards.com but I didn't find anything helpful.

Any help would be great.

Groucho 04-16-04 02:41 PM

Here's the current 3.5 d20 rules. There's a lot here, and only a fraction of it is used in KOTOR.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

If you have a question about a particular aspect, we might be able to help you here.

Giantrobo 04-16-04 04:46 PM

Wow that looks heavy. Thanks though. I'm going to look through it.

xmiyux 04-16-04 08:10 PM

Really if you just focus on the section on feats, skills, and stats you should be fine. And if you give us a general idea of the character you are creating (ie. do you stand back and use force powers, or do you go in swinging the sabers, dual wield, etc.) then we could probably give specific advice on where to put points.

Giantrobo 04-17-04 02:01 PM

Originally posted by xmiyux
Really if you just focus on the section on feats, skills, and stats you should be fine. And if you give us a general idea of the character you are creating (ie. do you stand back and use force powers, or do you go in swinging the sabers, dual wield, etc.) then we could probably give specific advice on where to put points.

I suppose I go in swingin' but i'm trying to balance myself. I'm just trying to understand how the game works a bit more. Like I said, I'm new to this XP's, feat, and such.

Static Cling 04-17-04 02:36 PM

Related question: do blasters and other projectile weapons attack at a penalty at melee range?

Giantrobo 04-17-04 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Related question: do blasters and other projectile weapons attack at a penalty at melee range?

Stuff like that.

xmiyux 04-17-04 03:50 PM

I believe in KOTOR they kept this rule in effect. It has been a while since i went through the game force choking and generally killing innocents with my dual sabers ;)

Static Cling 04-17-04 04:36 PM

Originally posted by xmiyux
I believe in KOTOR they kept this rule in effect. It has been a while since i went through the game force choking and generally killing innocents with my dual sabers ;)
Hey, a fellow Dark Sider! Rock on. :) I usually play as good guys... it's hard for me not to be a good guy in games, for some reason... but I am doing my darndest to embrace my hatred in KOTOR, at least this time around. I'm glad that I'm actually rewarded in a way for being bad, rather than being allowed to be bad, but not reaping any real reward for it. Thanks for answering my question.

xmiyux 04-17-04 06:34 PM

Hey, a fellow Dark Sider! Rock on. :) I usually play as good guys... it's hard for me not to be a good guy in games, for some reason... but I am doing my darndest to embrace my hatred in KOTOR, at least this time around. I'm glad that I'm actually rewarded in a way for being bad, rather than being allowed to be bad, but not reaping any real reward for it. Thanks for answering my question.
Actually i was in the same boat. Some of the choices you have to make as a dark sider are so despicable and cruel it was almost physically difficult for me to do. I kept having to say "WWDVD" (What Would Darth Vader Do) and sometimes even make a choice then try to forget what i had done. Nasty decisions - especially one near the end that in my game caused it to crash and is also a bit of a spoiler so here go the tags :)

Spoiler:
On like the last planet after i converted Bastila to the dark side i used force control to cause the wookie to kill Mission.

Evil evil stuff that i'm simultaneously dismayed i chose those actions and delighted i got to live out my dark side. Damn fine game.

Giantrobo 04-18-04 03:32 AM

Get a room guys!

xmiyux 04-18-04 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Get a room guys!
*Death fields Giantrobo*

or is it.....

Lightning bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

;)

mtucker 04-19-04 09:47 AM

I don't remember many details concerning the point system, I think the basic gist of it was increase dexterity for distance fighters (blasters and grenades) and strength for melee. Much more than that and I get confused easily.