DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Tiger Woods 2003 or 2004 for XBOX? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/358685-tiger-woods-2003-2004-xbox.html)

jrutz 04-15-04 12:00 PM

Tiger Woods 2003 or 2004 for XBOX?

I'm in the market for a golf game for the Xbox, and have been doing some research. I've all but eliminated Links because I've read some things that its gameplay mechanics are too simplistic, and environment graphics are bland. XBL play isn't too important to me either.

So then I'm looking into Tiger Woods 2003 versus 2004, since that series seems to be superior to Links. However, since it isn't XBL-compatable, what are the big differences between the two? And is it worth it to pay the extra $$$ to get 2004 when the improvements are negligible to the previous year's game?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Groucho 04-15-04 12:02 PM

2004 by a mile. It's a vast improvement over the previous game, particularly the create-a-golfer feature.

squi23 04-15-04 12:27 PM

I bought 2004 for myself and 2003 for a relative as a gift.

Got 1/2 through 2004 before trying 2003 at his place.....
get 2004.

I didn't go through everything that 2003 had to offer, but 2004 just felt like it played better, not to mention it's got a slew of alternative game modes.

corbin dallas 04-15-04 02:21 PM

I beg to differ on the analysis of Links vs. TW. Links graphics are much more realistic. Gameplay is about as easy on both games especially in beginner mode. TW doesn't have online capability which Links has. I've had a much more difficult time completing Links than I did finishing TW. They are both good games but i tend to lean towards Links a little more.

young 04-15-04 03:19 PM

beginner mode in Links is very very easy. i would suggest not even bothering w/ it as you will need to start all over again for more advanced playing.

i finished the beginner and b/c i got used to it so much, i couldn't get myself to get very far w/ the more difficult modes.

jrutz 04-15-04 09:04 PM

Originally posted by corbin dallas
I beg to differ on the analysis of Links vs. TW. Links graphics are much more realistic. Gameplay is about as easy on both games especially in beginner mode. TW doesn't have online capability which Links has. I've had a much more difficult time completing Links than I did finishing TW. They are both good games but i tend to lean towards Links a little more.
Sell me some more on Links. The folks at Operation Sports seem to like it over TW.

What I'm looking for is a golf game that will give me that nice, relaxing, calming feeling of playing a round of golf. I'm talking peace and tranquility represented in graphics and sound. Like I'm hitting the links on the first tee of the day, early morning when the only thing that's talking to me is the breeze down the fairway.

Jeremy

mljones99 04-15-04 09:05 PM

2004 is better by far.

sjividen 04-15-04 09:44 PM

I had TW 2004 for the Xbox and maxed out my character in about a week and a half. Hitting 400+ yard drives is mega-fun for a while, but once you run through all the scenarios, you're pretty much done. The tournaments are a joke when you shoot -80 and the runner-up shoots -10.

So I moved onto Links, mostly because of the Live ability. The game is similar to TW 2004 in that it gets easy once you max out the character, but for me it was much more difficult and I got more play out of it. Plus the online play is generally very good.

Gallant Pig 04-15-04 09:58 PM

Links.

azeledge 04-16-04 09:39 AM

Granted you can argue for both camps. Rutz, I believe our "Baller" friend own's both versions, He tends to lean towards Tiger for single player. BUT I also own Links, so if you want to play online against me and him you'll be able to do so. Links is also $29.99 - $5.00 BBcoupon = $24.95

Have fun with whicheverone you pick! And when did you like Golf????

jrutz 04-16-04 09:43 AM

Originally posted by azeledge
Granted you can argue for both camps. Rutz, I believe our "Baller" friend own's both versions, He tends to lean towards Tiger for single player. BUT I also own Links, so if you want to play online against me and him you'll be able to do so. Links is also $29.99 - $5.00 BBcoupon = $24.95

Have fun with whicheverone you pick! And when did you like Golf????

Heh, I don't know what got me into golf right now. All I'm into is slower-paced adventure games, so I figured a tranquil game of golf would be right up my alley!

I remember you guys talking about Links last year, but I didn't know if you guys got it and still played it. Since you do, I think I'll have to go pick it up tonight!

BTW, I'm thinking of picking up Top Spin too, so maybe we can get some leagues going.

Jeremy

kaze0 04-16-04 09:52 AM

I think the environment graphics are much better in Links than TW. The swing animations really bother me in Tiger Woods as well. Some of them look like they are playing baseball instead of golf. I admit that Links on easy is ridiculously easy but the higher difficulties need you to be in tune with every hole.

azeledge 04-16-04 10:20 AM

Originally posted by jrutz
Heh, I don't know what got me into golf right now. All I'm into is slower-paced adventure games, so I figured a tranquil game of golf would be right up my alley!

I remember you guys talking about Links last year, but I didn't know if you guys got it and still played it. Since you do, I think I'll have to go pick it up tonight!

BTW, I'm thinking of picking up Top Spin too, so maybe we can get some leagues going.

Jeremy

COOL I'm totally up for playing a Golf Heck we can catch up on what's happening ie. movie, game, anime talk etc... And TopSpin is great and I suck at it too! ;) I have lots of friends into TopSpin.

Lemme know and we'll reserve a Tee time.

mr.snowmizer 04-16-04 08:16 PM

Re: Tiger Woods 2003 or 2004 for XBOX?

I'm in the market for a golf game for the Xbox, and have been doing some research. I've all but eliminated Links because I've read some things that its gameplay mechanics are too simplistic
I'm not even sure what this means. You've read that it's too easy?

Play on Advanced, and you'd need to pick the right club and successfully execute the shot (spin/no spin, fade/hook/straight, normal/overpowered swings with no visual indicators, a.k.a. meters, whatsoever) after factoring in the lie, the wind, the rain (sometimes) the elevations of both the lie and the target destination, and the slope of the ground under your feet.

{And there's no ability to save yourself by adding a hook or slice to your shot AFTER it's flying through the air.}

What other gameplay mechanics are there to real golf that have been left out? And what does Tiger Woods do better in with regards to any of these aspects? Anybody?

Getting Links for $30 or less should be an easy decision.

jrutz 05-21-04 09:56 PM

^ okay so I have Links and I love it. Now I'm wondering, should I pay the extra $4.99 for Maui? Is the course that good? I can't find any reviews on the DL content.

Jeremy

Copenhagen 05-21-04 09:59 PM

From what I hear the course is really well done, I just haven't paid for it as of yet.

kvrdave 05-22-04 02:53 PM

I have all three. I didn't see a vast improvement from TW '03 to '04. The "Create a face" thing was a novelty, but I didn't really care for it much. Most recently, Links has been getting most of my time. TW was a little "too easy" on a lot of things like spinning the ball. Hell you can decide to spin the ball after the shot is over but just before you land. That's fun, but not realistic. Links tends to be much more realistic, which can also be more frustrating.

mr.snowmizer 05-22-04 03:32 PM

^ okay so I have Links and I love it.

Jeremy

A totally predictable outcome.

Now you have to go back and try Inside Drive, if you still haven't. Once you get past the shockingly mediocre-looking crowd, it won't be long before you realize it's the true evolution of NBA 2k1. :)