Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

High quality s-video/component cables for the GameCube?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I finally made the plunge and bought a GameCube, so now I have all three consoles plus a new PC in my house, which is...completely unnecessary since I have a stack of unplayed games, but anyway...

The point of this post is that because I decided to buy a console on Easter, my store options were limited, and all I saw at GameStop was a Pelican PL7109 s-video cable. I noticed a strange checkerboard pattern when I plugged it into my set (a Sony VVega KV-36FS12). When I used the composite plug on that cable as well as the in-box Nintendo cable, there were no problems. Never having used s-video on the set before, I verified that the jack itself is fine by plugging in my portable DVD player. No problems whatsoever. I did a search on Usenet and found someone else who noticed the same problem. I haven't tried the cable on any of my other televisions to see if the problem is unique to the combination of that TV and that set of cables. It looks awful, but at least it's sharp and awful , so I'll try to live with the distortion for another day or two.

Are there any alternative s-video (or preferably component) cables that I'd be likely to find locally? Last I heard, the first party s-video cables were no longer available via retail and that the component cables were only available directly through Nintendo. Preferably, I'd like to buy something and not have to wait for processing/delivery. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 04-11-04, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my component cables through Nintendo.com and couldn't be happier. It kinda sucks waiting/anticipating but it's so worth it firing up Metroid Prime in progressive scan on a badass widescreen HDTV. Make sure you have a Wavebird.
Old 04-11-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Thanks. I posted this message on another forum and got the same response. Apparently Nintendo ships out quickly -- I think I might go ahead and order 'em. I did pick up a Wavebird, by the way.
Old 04-11-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i still don't get why the component cable is "exclusive" to nintendo.

is it b/c nintendo doesn't allow others to make it?

or, is it b/c no one wants to make it?
Old 04-11-04, 07:41 PM

last I saw, they wont be available on Nintendo.com until April 26th (I'm thinking of ordering one also).
Old 04-11-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by young
i still don't get why the component cable is "exclusive" to nintendo.

is it b/c nintendo doesn't allow others to make it?

or, is it b/c no one wants to make it?
I was wondering that too, I think maybe it has more to do with whether or not companies think there is a big enough market.
Old 04-12-04, 12:44 PM

Someone once explained it but it was quite awhile ago, something about how the cables are made to begin with, wasn't like other systems. At any rate i'll have to remember to order these at some point myself since it's the only system I don't have the cables for.
Old 04-12-04, 12:51 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=component This is the thread I was talking about.
Old 04-12-04, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber
Someone once explained it but it was quite awhile ago, something about how the cables are made to begin with, wasn't like other systems. At any rate i'll have to remember to order these at some point myself since it's the only system I don't have the cables for.
I also read (in this forum I believe) that Nintendo is going to do away with the digital video out port on future cubes, starting this year so the cables probably wont be available much longer.
Old 04-12-04, 09:11 PM

Nintendo isn't doing away with the component cables, just the port on future GCN's. If you already own a GCN and it dies, Nintendo will replace it with a GCN w/ digital out port.
Old 04-12-04, 09:38 PM

I just placed an order for one, now hopefully it'll ship in April/May.
Old 04-12-04, 10:02 PM

Your'e going to be so glad you ordered. I won't hook my X-box up to my HDTV because it' such a pain in the ass to figure out which format I can run and then setting it up. The GCN just has you hold down B after turning it on. It asks to display in prog. scan and thats it.

Check out Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero, Soul Calibur (yikes), Star Wars: Rebel Strike, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Metal Gear Solid: TTS.
Old 04-12-04, 10:37 PM

I have Metroid Prime already, but I've been playing it in *gasp* composite - so I can just imagine how great it's gonna look.

My X-Box was pretty easy to hook up with component - the hardest part was running the cables (for me).
Old 04-13-04, 07:37 AM

I have Monster Cable S-video cables for the Gamecube that I'm not using anymore. They made a definite improvement over the bundled cables and they're also extra long so you can pull your game system as far away from your tv/receiver as you need to. I'm not using them anymore since I just upgraded to a 65" HDTV and bought the Nintendo component cables to take advantage of progressive scan. If anyone wants to buy my Monster s-video cables, let me know. I'm looking for $20 shipped obo.
Old 04-13-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by goatweed
I also read (in this forum I believe) that Nintendo is going to do away with the digital video out port on future cubes, starting this year so the cables probably wont be available much longer.
They still sell A/C adapters, cables and new controllers for the NES and SNES.. I don't think the component cables are going anywhere.
Old 04-13-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jediwicz
Your'e going to be so glad you ordered. I won't hook my X-box up to my HDTV because it' such a pain in the ass to figure out which format I can run and then setting it up. The GCN just has you hold down B after turning it on. It asks to display in prog. scan and thats it.
Actually, for the XBOX, it is easier than that. When you start the game, it will play in it's highest supported resolution automatically without pressing any button. That is if you're using the XBOX HD AV Pack.