Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone Play NBA Ballers Yet?

Old 04-10-04, 10:40 AM

Anyone Play NBA Ballers Yet?

Im very interested in this game, anyone play yet. Any reviews would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like a ripoff of NBA Street to me. A bargain bin title, I imagine.
Old 04-11-04, 12:25 AM

It's very different from NBA Street. This is a one on one game.
Old 04-11-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played it the other night with my friend. It's actually a lot of fun, at least the part I played. You have the opportunity to do a lot of things options wise (homes, cars, clothes, etc.), but the gameplay is where the real fun is at. Playing single player was pretty fun, but playing against a human opponent is a blast. I'm not sure if it's worth a purchase (don't know how much you like bball games), but definitely worth checking out as a rental. Hope this helps!
Old 04-11-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it, but I wouldn't buy it unless it was $19.99 or under. It was great when you are playing 1 on 1 with a friend but when you play the computer 1 on 1 it seemed to get a little boring to me.
Old 04-12-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The more I read about this game, the more I like it. I admit, I was way off on the whole NBA Street/Jam clone thoughts.

Hopefully it'll drop in price fairly soon.
Old 04-14-04, 07:28 AM

I've been on the fence about this title, but decided to pick it up last night. I'm glad I did because this is a great game. The comparisons to NBA Street are inevitable, but apart from the street aspect and the combo system, they really are two different animals.

The most interesting aspect of the game is the Rags 2 Riches mode in which you create a player and have him compete in tournaments. The credits that you earn can be used to buy gear, but more importantly, you can also buy abilities (i.e. an on fire mode, super blocking, a sweet spot which increases your ability to hit a shot, etc...). Also, the way that you play determines how your player evolves. Dunk all over the place and your baller's dunking skill will skyrocket. Get a lot of steals and your player will become a better defender. I need to purchase the "sweet spot" ability so that I can begin jacking up threes to help improve my three point rating.

Plus, it's online enabled and that's a big deal in my book. It's funny...if this had been a $50 game I might have passed on it for awhile. But, since it was $40, I decided to take a chance and I'm very pleased with my decision.
Old 04-14-04, 06:30 PM

I like it a lot, though it has a lot of frustration built in it that makes it feel like you really don't have control when the computer seems to be able to do whatever it wants on offfense AND defense.

I don't know how to Bring Down the House though. Any suggestions? Yes, I know you have to have a full meter : P
Old 04-14-04, 07:16 PM

L+R+Y brings down the hizzouse dawg.
Old 04-15-04, 12:21 AM

I swear I tried that once! Thanks!
Old 04-15-04, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Ginsu
L+R+Y brings down the hizzouse dawg.
Also the crowd has to be chanting and you will bounce it into an alley oop for you to run under.
Old 04-15-04, 12:56 AM

Damn it. I can't do it. Sounds stupid. But I'll keep trying. What a pain,

I mean there's an oop but it never brings the house down.

And the crows is chanting. I don't get it.
Old 04-15-04, 09:08 AM

Bringing Down the House:
http://sports.ign.com/articles/506/506170p1.html

I did it once, but I didn't do it the way they described. I just drove towards the basket and pressed all three juice buttons plus triangle at the same time and the move was executed.