DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Ps2 has problems reading ps1 discs?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/357280-ps2-has-problems-reading-ps1-discs.html)

Feneant 04-07-04 02:56 PM

Ps2 has problems reading ps1 discs??

Is it normal for a playstation 2 to have problems reading a playstation disk? I was playing Lunar Silver Stars (original cd) and it worked great up to today when I load my game and enter a zone, I get a black screen and it either doesn't load or takes a good minute to load anything. The drive doesn't even seem to be moving, the only sound coming out of the ps2 is an odd type soft clicking which doesn't appear to be coming from the dvd drive but is worriesome in itself.

As this is a modded console, I tried playing with a backup game on cdr to see what would happen and it does the same thing. I notice that the console seems to have problems even loading the ps1 games and I had to reset to get it to read Lunar.

I put in a ps2 dvd (original dvd) and that seemed to work without any problems.

Any suggestions? I've only had it for a month and I would hate for it to be damaged due to the price this thing cost (it was a new premod with a dms3 modchip so it cost a hell of a lot)

Tigger 04-07-04 03:48 PM

I had this problem also. it wasn't just PS1 Games, but PS2 CD (Blue) discs also. Unfortunately I had to send it to Sony to get fixed. If it's modded, chances are they wouldn't fix it.
Although back in the day I had a modded PSX, that I took to Sony for repair, paid the 60 buck service charge for that problem (At the time it was 150 for a new one). Since they couldn't fix the problem, they gave me a new PSX IN BOX. :) So who knows.. give it a shot.

ElementZ 04-07-04 04:20 PM

Re: Ps2 has problems reading ps1 discs??

Originally posted by Feneant
I was playing Lunar Silver Stars (original cd) and it worked great up to today
Well since your Lunar game is not working and you have a back up copy anyways, I don't see any use of the original for you. Give me your e-mail and I will tell you where you can send it to me. :)

joshd2012 04-07-04 05:06 PM

Clean the laser. Problem solved.

mookiemeister 04-07-04 05:38 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012
Clean the laser. Problem solved.
How does one go about cleaning the laser on a DVD player?

Feneant 04-07-04 05:42 PM

Boil it? This thing is a month old and it was working great until this afternoon, the cd is flawless so I dont really know what happened, the damned thing just doesnt seem to want to read it.

milo bloom 04-07-04 10:36 PM

Two ways I've read of helping a PS2 read discs

1. buy a can of compressed air and unload it in the open disc tray. Watch for condensation though.

2. Take scotch tape and put two small pieces on either side of the hole , (label side) so it sorta resembles an "H". This is where the clamps hold the disc, and this gives it a better grip.

YMMV