Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid: The Movie brought to you by...

Old 04-07-04, 12:53 AM
  #1  
Suspended
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 858
Metroid: The Movie brought to you by...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=4202


Well, at least it's not by the dude that directed House of the Dead and a dozen other video game movies coming out in the future.
trigun is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 01:12 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Somewhere out there... YES THERE!!!
Posts: 7,936
John woo rocks. This should be pretty good
glassdragon is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 02:19 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
John Woo? I remember the day when that name would have me excited. But I'll be honest, his output as of late has been poor, and quite frankly...his talents don't really lend themself to Metroid whatsoever.

I'll be honest, I truly doubt this film will do any justice to the Metroid series. I love the games, asnd would love to see a sci-fi film that retained the feeling, mood, and atmosphere of the games. But really, do we expect a video game to be an eerie, lonely game with one female person in a suit traversing alien worlds?

I think instead we're going to see a chick with a gun, blowing things up to rock music making wisecracks left and right.

Sorry, I just hold this with trepidation. Video game movies in general are not good. Unfortunately good talent rarely signs on for it, and it's obvious the film exists for marketing reasons. Even Resident Evil, which by all means should've been easy to emulate in film format, was way off the mark.

Nonetheless Metroid could make an awesome film. I'd love to watch her in this world, but I'd want it to be like a game. Largely her alone, dealing with inhuman worlds and strange obstacles and aliens. Seriously, I doubt they'll even have Samus in the damn suit we all know and love.

Argh...maybe it'll be good. I think there's potential, I just don't think they'll even try to do it right.
jaeufraser is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 06:49 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
I hope Woo only produces it, and doesn't direct. I once enjoyed his movies, but they just keep going down hill.
flashburn is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 07:11 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
This should be a wet dream for me.. but I'm not feeling it.. maybe cause I just woke up?
PixyJunket is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 07:43 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 9,129
Yahoo News

This story is on yahoo news as well.
edstein is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 08:03 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,533
Originally posted by flashburn
I hope Woo only produces it, and doesn't direct. I once enjoyed his movies, but they just keep going down hill.
There are no doves on Zebes... Woo wouldn't know what to do...
Goldberg74 is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 09:13 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 639
Originally posted by Goldberg74
There are no doves on Zebes... Woo wouldn't know what to do...
*Imagines slow motion shot of a group of small metroids undulating through the air while Samus is in a mexican stand off with a bunch of space pirates*

.....awe...some.....
beefjerky is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 09:18 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 446
Some of the reasons I love the game so much, are the same reasons this will never work as a movie.

That is IF they try to stay true to the game.

They could of course go the way of Resident Evil, which while it wasn't very true to the game IMO, I still thought it was an awesome movie and captured the "essence" of the game at least.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what they come up with (maybe something ala Final Fantasy???)
squi23 is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 09:31 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,302
This movie will be rated G, watch.
Deftones is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 09:39 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Burbanka
Posts: 993
Look for doves, slomos and guns, guns, guns
warcp is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 11:16 AM
  #12  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,399
Predictions:

* Samus will have the outfit on in the opening scene, but will lose it in quick time to reveal a skintight sexy outfit that is more like a superheroine or like Seven of Nine from Voyager.

* Samus won't be alone. She'll have a ragtag group of allies, including a macho sexist jerk who disses her because she's a woman, but ends up getting his ass kicked. There will also be a wisecracking nerdy guy who is in love with Samus.

* If Woo directs, there will be a backstory about how Samus had a loved one who was killed in some previous mission, and this will haunt her throughout the story.

* The CGI for the metroids themselves won't be bad, but if they attempt Kraid and Ridley the CGI will be awful.
DRG is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 11:36 AM
  #13  
Suspended
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 858
# Paycheck (2003)
# Hire: Hostage, The (2002)
# Windtalkers (2002)
# Mission: Impossible II (2000)
# Face/Off (1997)
# Broken Arrow (1996)
# Hard Target (1993)

Yeah, the guy's been on fire since coming to Hollywood....
trigun is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 11:58 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Space Junk Galaxy
Posts: 2,471
Hopefully they will finally show Samus actually doing some bounty hunting. Also they can show more of Samus' interactions with the Galactic Federation...
CreatureX is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 12:59 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: My chair
Posts: 2,156
HELL YEAH!!! Hopefully this will be the movie that turns John Woo's career around too. He hasn't made a good movie since FACE OFF. (of course his HK films are god... but that was so long ago....)

EDIT : This movie should have no dialogue, just music and sound effects.
darqleo is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 01:27 PM
  #16  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
I don't have high hopes for this as I've yet to see a decent movie based on a game, and though I love Metroid, I think it's impossible to make a good movie that's faithful to the series. I mean a lone bounty hunter going around by herself killing things is great for a game that needs little plot/dialog, but not so great for a movie.
Josh H is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 01:51 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Also, I think a movie version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night could be fun.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 02:14 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,568
Originally posted by jaeufraser
John Woo? I remember the day when that name would have me excited. But I'll be honest, his output as of late has been poor, and quite frankly...his talents don't really lend themself to Metroid whatsoever.

I'll be honest, I truly doubt this film will do any justice to the Metroid series. I love the games, asnd would love to see a sci-fi film that retained the feeling, mood, and atmosphere of the games. But really, do we expect a video game to be an eerie, lonely game with one female person in a suit traversing alien worlds?

I think instead we're going to see a chick with a gun, blowing things up to rock music making wisecracks left and right.

Sorry, I just hold this with trepidation. Video game movies in general are not good. Unfortunately good talent rarely signs on for it, and it's obvious the film exists for marketing reasons. Even Resident Evil, which by all means should've been easy to emulate in film format, was way off the mark.

Nonetheless Metroid could make an awesome film. I'd love to watch her in this world, but I'd want it to be like a game. Largely her alone, dealing with inhuman worlds and strange obstacles and aliens. Seriously, I doubt they'll even have Samus in the damn suit we all know and love.

Argh...maybe it'll be good. I think there's potential, I just don't think they'll even try to do it right.
Thank you, now I don't have to post all this

Right now the Metroid series is totally untainted. Every game has been an incredible ride and continually improves upon itself. Don't ruin it with some cheesy a$$ summer flick.

Then again if it can survive the transition to 3d maybe it can survive the transition to the big screen?
tanman is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 05:12 PM
  #19  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Originally posted by tanman
Don't ruin it with some cheesy a$$ summer flick.

Then again if it can survive the transition to 3d maybe it can survive the transition to the big screen?
It won't ruin the series even if it's terrible. It will just be disregarded like all other video game movies.

I mean, I don't think less of Final Fantasy because of the lame ass movie.
Josh H is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 05:57 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Randy Miller III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 4,706
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I mean, I don't think less of Final Fantasy because of the lame ass movie.
Exactly!

FFX-2, however...
Randy Miller III is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 05:59 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 866
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Also, I think a movie version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night could be fun.
I think it's called Van Helsing.
SeekOnce is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 06:26 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 639
I remember Ang Lee talking about being interested in directing a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night movie.
beefjerky is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 08:11 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,861
Originally posted by DRG
Predictions:

* Samus will have the outfit on in the opening scene, but will lose it in quick time to reveal a skintight sexy outfit that is more like a superheroine or like Seven of Nine from Voyager.

* Samus won't be alone. She'll have a ragtag group of allies, including a macho sexist jerk who disses her because she's a woman, but ends up getting his ass kicked. There will also be a wisecracking nerdy guy who is in love with Samus.

* If Woo directs, there will be a backstory about how Samus had a loved one who was killed in some previous mission, and this will haunt her throughout the story.

* The CGI for the metroids themselves won't be bad, but if they attempt Kraid and Ridley the CGI will be awful.
I wouldn't be surprised if every one of these came true.
msdmoney is offline  
Old 04-07-04, 08:42 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 199
Originally posted by DRG
Predictions:

* Samus will have the outfit on in the opening scene, but will lose it in quick time to reveal a skintight sexy outfit that is more like a superheroine or like Seven of Nine from Voyager.

* Samus won't be alone. She'll have a ragtag group of allies, including a macho sexist jerk who disses her because she's a woman, but ends up getting his ass kicked. There will also be a wisecracking nerdy guy who is in love with Samus.

* If Woo directs, there will be a backstory about how Samus had a loved one who was killed in some previous mission, and this will haunt her throughout the story.

* The CGI for the metroids themselves won't be bad, but if they attempt Kraid and Ridley the CGI will be awful.
Come on now we all know that Samus can't lose the suit unless she beats the game in under 2 hours.
Ringo20000 is offline  
Old 04-08-04, 10:33 AM
  #25  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 40
Pretty excited for this....be interested to see how it pans out...any talk of a potential release date?
greyboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.