DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Metroid: The Movie brought to you by... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/357187-metroid-movie-brought-you.html)

trigun 04-07-04 12:53 AM

Metroid: The Movie brought to you by...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=4202

Well, at least it's not by the dude that directed House of the Dead and a dozen other video game movies coming out in the future.

glassdragon 04-07-04 01:12 AM

John woo rocks. This should be pretty good

jaeufraser 04-07-04 02:19 AM

John Woo? I remember the day when that name would have me excited. But I'll be honest, his output as of late has been poor, and quite frankly...his talents don't really lend themself to Metroid whatsoever.

I'll be honest, I truly doubt this film will do any justice to the Metroid series. I love the games, asnd would love to see a sci-fi film that retained the feeling, mood, and atmosphere of the games. But really, do we expect a video game to be an eerie, lonely game with one female person in a suit traversing alien worlds?

I think instead we're going to see a chick with a gun, blowing things up to rock music making wisecracks left and right.

Sorry, I just hold this with trepidation. Video game movies in general are not good. Unfortunately good talent rarely signs on for it, and it's obvious the film exists for marketing reasons. Even Resident Evil, which by all means should've been easy to emulate in film format, was way off the mark.

Nonetheless Metroid could make an awesome film. I'd love to watch her in this world, but I'd want it to be like a game. Largely her alone, dealing with inhuman worlds and strange obstacles and aliens. Seriously, I doubt they'll even have Samus in the damn suit we all know and love.

Argh...maybe it'll be good. I think there's potential, I just don't think they'll even try to do it right.

flashburn 04-07-04 06:49 AM

I hope Woo only produces it, and doesn't direct. I once enjoyed his movies, but they just keep going down hill.

PixyJunket 04-07-04 07:11 AM

This should be a wet dream for me.. but I'm not feeling it.. maybe cause I just woke up?

edstein 04-07-04 07:43 AM

Yahoo News

This story is on yahoo news as well. :johnwoo:

Goldberg74 04-07-04 08:03 AM

Originally posted by flashburn
I hope Woo only produces it, and doesn't direct. I once enjoyed his movies, but they just keep going down hill.
There are no doves on Zebes... Woo wouldn't know what to do...

beefjerky 04-07-04 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
There are no doves on Zebes... Woo wouldn't know what to do...
*Imagines slow motion shot of a group of small metroids undulating through the air while Samus is in a mexican stand off with a bunch of space pirates*

.....awe...some.....

squi23 04-07-04 09:18 AM

Some of the reasons I love the game so much, are the same reasons this will never work as a movie.

That is IF they try to stay true to the game.

They could of course go the way of Resident Evil, which while it wasn't very true to the game IMO, I still thought it was an awesome movie and captured the "essence" of the game at least.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what they come up with (maybe something ala Final Fantasy???)

Deftones 04-07-04 09:31 AM

This movie will be rated G, watch. :lol:

warcp 04-07-04 09:39 AM

Look for doves, slomos and guns, guns, guns

DRG 04-07-04 11:16 AM

Predictions:

* Samus will have the outfit on in the opening scene, but will lose it in quick time to reveal a skintight sexy outfit that is more like a superheroine or like Seven of Nine from Voyager.

* Samus won't be alone. She'll have a ragtag group of allies, including a macho sexist jerk who disses her because she's a woman, but ends up getting his ass kicked. There will also be a wisecracking nerdy guy who is in love with Samus.

* If Woo directs, there will be a backstory about how Samus had a loved one who was killed in some previous mission, and this will haunt her throughout the story.

* The CGI for the metroids themselves won't be bad, but if they attempt Kraid and Ridley the CGI will be awful.

trigun 04-07-04 11:36 AM

# Paycheck (2003)
# Hire: Hostage, The (2002)
# Windtalkers (2002)
# Mission: Impossible II (2000)
# Face/Off (1997)
# Broken Arrow (1996)
# Hard Target (1993)

Yeah, the guy's been on fire since coming to Hollywood....

CreatureX 04-07-04 11:58 AM

Hopefully they will finally show Samus actually doing some bounty hunting. Also they can show more of Samus' interactions with the Galactic Federation...

darqleo 04-07-04 12:59 PM

HELL YEAH!!! Hopefully this will be the movie that turns John Woo's career around too. He hasn't made a good movie since FACE OFF. (of course his HK films are god... but that was so long ago....)

EDIT : This movie should have no dialogue, just music and sound effects.

Josh H 04-07-04 01:27 PM

I don't have high hopes for this as I've yet to see a decent movie based on a game, and though I love Metroid, I think it's impossible to make a good movie that's faithful to the series. I mean a lone bounty hunter going around by herself killing things is great for a game that needs little plot/dialog, but not so great for a movie.

Breakfast with Girls 04-07-04 01:51 PM

Also, I think a movie version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night could be fun.

tanman 04-07-04 02:14 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
John Woo? I remember the day when that name would have me excited. But I'll be honest, his output as of late has been poor, and quite frankly...his talents don't really lend themself to Metroid whatsoever.

I'll be honest, I truly doubt this film will do any justice to the Metroid series. I love the games, asnd would love to see a sci-fi film that retained the feeling, mood, and atmosphere of the games. But really, do we expect a video game to be an eerie, lonely game with one female person in a suit traversing alien worlds?

I think instead we're going to see a chick with a gun, blowing things up to rock music making wisecracks left and right.

Sorry, I just hold this with trepidation. Video game movies in general are not good. Unfortunately good talent rarely signs on for it, and it's obvious the film exists for marketing reasons. Even Resident Evil, which by all means should've been easy to emulate in film format, was way off the mark.

Nonetheless Metroid could make an awesome film. I'd love to watch her in this world, but I'd want it to be like a game. Largely her alone, dealing with inhuman worlds and strange obstacles and aliens. Seriously, I doubt they'll even have Samus in the damn suit we all know and love.

Argh...maybe it'll be good. I think there's potential, I just don't think they'll even try to do it right.

Thank you, now I don't have to post all this :)

Right now the Metroid series is totally untainted. Every game has been an incredible ride and continually improves upon itself. Don't ruin it with some cheesy a$$ summer flick.

Then again if it can survive the transition to 3d maybe it can survive the transition to the big screen?

Josh H 04-07-04 05:12 PM

Originally posted by tanman
Don't ruin it with some cheesy a$$ summer flick.

Then again if it can survive the transition to 3d maybe it can survive the transition to the big screen?

It won't ruin the series even if it's terrible. It will just be disregarded like all other video game movies.

I mean, I don't think less of Final Fantasy because of the lame ass movie.

Randy Miller III 04-07-04 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I mean, I don't think less of Final Fantasy because of the lame ass movie.
Exactly! :up:

FFX-2, however... ;)

SeekOnce 04-07-04 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Also, I think a movie version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night could be fun.
I think it's called Van Helsing. ;)

beefjerky 04-07-04 06:26 PM

I remember Ang Lee talking about being interested in directing a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night movie.

msdmoney 04-07-04 08:11 PM

Originally posted by DRG
Predictions:

* Samus will have the outfit on in the opening scene, but will lose it in quick time to reveal a skintight sexy outfit that is more like a superheroine or like Seven of Nine from Voyager.

* Samus won't be alone. She'll have a ragtag group of allies, including a macho sexist jerk who disses her because she's a woman, but ends up getting his ass kicked. There will also be a wisecracking nerdy guy who is in love with Samus.

* If Woo directs, there will be a backstory about how Samus had a loved one who was killed in some previous mission, and this will haunt her throughout the story.

* The CGI for the metroids themselves won't be bad, but if they attempt Kraid and Ridley the CGI will be awful.

:lol: I wouldn't be surprised if every one of these came true.

Ringo20000 04-07-04 08:42 PM

Originally posted by DRG
Predictions:

Come on now we all know that Samus can't lose the suit unless she beats the game in under 2 hours.

greyboy 04-08-04 10:33 AM

Pretty excited for this....be interested to see how it pans out...any talk of a potential release date?